Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 18 December 2013
I have enjoyed all Nicholas Coleridge's books.

But he seems to be struggling a bit. The last (Deadly sins) marked a slight slip.

This continues the trend.

One suspects that commercial pressures are impacting the quality. Or perhaps he has just run out of things to say.

In this book, the idea of a modern Becky Sharp is very good.

The situations she is in work with a small about of willing suspension of disbelief.

But the characters just don't come alive. In particular her daughter and family.

Will this stop me buying his next? Of course not.
on 16 October 2012
Nicholas Colergidge is MD of Condé Nast and as they publish my favourite magazine, Tatler, I was interested to read his novels. Having read Deadly Sins and Streetsmart I was excited to read The Adventuress with a female protagonist this time. It started off very well, a modern take on Thackeray's `Vanity Fair'. I love his descriptions of London society and that he uses real places and real streets instead of the usual made-up nonsense of contemporary fiction.

However, whilst the plot was stimulating I felt it lacked characterisation, Cath and indeed all her lovers, all came across as very one-dimensional and devoid of emotion. I enjoyed the plot technique of intertwining the lives of the 3 main characters. The climax of the story, although long-awaited, is very quickly dealt with. However, the Epilogue ties up all the loose ends nicely. A fun, fast-paced humorous read, I would recommend it.
on 31 December 2012
I had high hopes of this novel following positive reviews. However I found it not only disappointing, but the characterisation poor (two dimensional) and the chapters referring to Cath's marriage to a Manchester Utd player were ridiculous. In the mid to late 80s and into the early 90s, footballers were not socially feted - indeed were borderline social pariahs - and I have no recollection of any magazine covering any player weddings, least of all for £250,000. Also there are no circumstances in which a player's girlfriend would be allowed to accompany him to away games and stay in the team hotel. Finally, Portsmouth Football Club have never been called Portsmouth City. Mr Coleridge could have looked that up on Wikipedia.

Vanity Fair is one of my favourite books, and whilst Mr Coleridge has transcribed the story reasonably faithfully, it left this reader unsatisfied. I recently re-read Lace for the first time since the 1980s, and it looks like a masterpiece compared to The Adventuress.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 October 2012
Nicholas Coleridge as written some very good books in his career, but this one, "The Adventuress" is not one of them. The characters are somewhat uninteresting and the plot has enough holes to drive a tank through. But, it is a fun read; Coleridge cannot seem to write a dull book. His talent, though, is wasted on "Cath Fox" in all her many identities. Bottom line: if you're a Nicholas Coleridge fan, you might as well buy the book and read it because if you don't, you'll always wonder what you missed. You'll read it this week, but not remember it next week. But at least you'll have knocked it off your list.
Nicholas Coleridge is at his absolute best when writing about the glizy lives of
the super rich and he does not disppoint with this juicy glamorous read.

Cath Fox is a latter day Becky Sharp who starts off folding knickers in a girls
boarding school and as you do ends up through marriage to a tycoon on the
Buckingham Palace balcony.

Not always the most sympathetic of characters Coleridge does warm her up a
bit by making things go wrong for her. Her near iss as Lady of Northamptonshire
is priceless and she also does a stint spanking a kinky royal... Brilliant.
on 18 February 2013
I saw an advert for this book whilst in the hairdressers. I made a point of getting it down on my Kindle. It is a great read and I am now reading a lot of this author. His story telling keeps you wanting to read his books. Not many authors can keep this type of writing up for long.
on 12 October 2012
The book arrived this morning the cover screaming "penny dreadful" and having got nearly half way through I can
only say that the cover says all that needs to be said about the content. I don't know whether I have the will to plough
my way through to the end or not.
My dog could have done a better job. In his sleep.

The story is not worth detailing here - just think Mills & Boon and save your money.
on 22 February 2013
This book was so disappointing. I have always enjoyed Nicholas Coleridge's books but this one was a let down. The writing was not to his usual standard and the storyline poor and quite unbelievable. His books are usually an escape but this was far from it - I just got more and more frustrated with the main character. This, however will not put me off reading more of his novels.
on 13 October 2012
I have really enjoyed some of Nicholas Coleridge's other books and this new one does not disappoint! I was hooked from the first page and my family starved and went in dirty clothes until I'd finished it. Vanity Fair is probably my all-time favourite novel, and I loved this modern take on it. Yes, Cath Fox is scheming and manipulative and ambitious, but you care about her too and - against your better judgement - want things to turn out alright for her. Some of the characters are hilarious and had me laughing out loud. The author brilliantly evokes the 1980s and 90s and really transports you back in time with tiny, detailed observations that are spot-on. This is a fun, well-written, escapist read and I highly recommend it.
on 13 October 2012
I only got this book yesterday, having read the review in the Metro, and it's brilliant - a really fast paced page turner. Totally lives up to the publicity - great fun; glamour, intrigue and a shocking but terrific principal character - Cath Fox. I am really enjoying the 80's and 90's references and the social observations. I haven't even finished it yet and already have bought a copy for my mother, sister and teenage god daughter because I know they will all enjoy it. It's a great story. I am whizzing through because i cant put it down and already know I don't want it to end!!