on 29 November 2012
I got one of these for use at work (I'm responsible for the school magazine, website and prospectus photography) so that I wouldn't need to keep dragging my own DSLR gear into school. I have my own Canon G12 (which in itself is a great little camera but with limited scope) along with Canon 5D mkii and 50D bodies and the usual array of L series zooms to go with them. My credentials include an ARPS and a list of international exhibition acceptances that spans four continents, so I am what could be described as a reasonably experienced photographer.

My first impressions of the NEX 6 are as follows: reasonably small (though not so much so that it's in any way difficult to handle), good control layout (very similar to DSLR - i.e. index finger wheel and rear thumb dial), nicely responsive controls and very easy to live with autofocus speed, stunning little EVF (OK not an optical TTL but really the next best thing, with a whole array of information to be displayed through here if desired), nice enough rear screen, a kit lens that is superior to any kit zoom that I've ever tried on entry level/enthusiast DSLRs (though admittedly also more expensive than the latter), great dynamic range and high ISO capabilities (better than my 50D), all coupled with excellent RAW file output (at least comparable to my 50D, which has a similar pixel count APS-C sensor - 15MP as opposed to 16MP if I remember correctly) - sorry I don't do jpegs.

While my Canon G12 has served me well as a pocketable compact for the last couple of years, I've never really considered it as a serious proposition for my 'proper' photography, either in terms of quality of output, flexibility or ease of use. In fact it has always been a 'snapping my son in the park' kind of camera and never really lived up to my hopes of a viable walk-around for street photography etc. The NEX 6 is however a very different proposition.

I'm aware that there are a number of other well spec'd compact system cameras on the market at the moment, each with their own idiosyncrasies and bet tricks, some of which have feature sets and output quality close to and even better than that of the NEX 6, however at this price point I think you would struggle to find a better all rounder.

To round up this camera has completely changed my perception of what a compact is capable of. So much so that I'm considering getting one for my own use, but don't tell the wife!

Added 29th December:
Had my first chance to do some serious printing from a few NEX 6 RAW files this evening. I can report that with only default sharpening and slight contrast/colour pop courtesy of Adobe Light Room, prints right up to A2 look excellent. One of the images I printed up to A2 was shot at 3200 ISO and at sniffing proximity, without NR applied, it has noticeable grain, but no worse than similarly produced prints from my 5D mkii. I'm now in little or no doubt that, provided I'm not expecting stupid levels of performance from what is after all a sub £900 rig, I'll be able to exhibit the images captured with the NEX 6. I'm also confident that this style of camera setup is pretty much poised to be a 'game changer' over the next couple of years, for those of us who are seeking quality and versatility without the ensuing back ache that dragging a couple of DSLR bodies and an array of compatible glass around has meant until now. Nuf said....I'm having one in the New Year.
1111 Comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 December 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
One year on from the NEX7, Sony have released the NEX6 - is it an advance or just filling a gap in the range? I've been using the 7 for the last 8 months and carry it with me most days; I was interested to see how the two would compare as most things about the 7 I really like but it does have a few flaws. In this review I've concentrated on the differences between the two - the resulting images from the 6 are largely indistinguishable from the 7 and in some instances better.

The NEX6 looks similar to the 7, including the same electronic viewfinder and 3 inch LCD screen from its bigger brother. The most obvious physical difference is the single raised dial on the right hand side of the body which allows the mode to be changed without having to use the rear wheel as on other models. Surrounding the mode dial is a second dial which allows various settings, depending on the current mode. For example, in Aperture Priority mode it sets the aperture value. Some other controls have been adjusted, like the video record button which has moved slightly to the side to make it less easy to enable accidentally, or the multi-function button next to the shutter release, which is now clearly labelled Fn. Personal taste will apply here but I prefer the two-dial layout of the NEX7 whereby I can set aperture or shutter with one and exposure compensation with the other. On the NEX6 exposure compensation is a two-step process using the wheel on the back of the camera. The biggest difference I noticed with the buttons is how much additional pressure is required. For example, the mode dial is a two-finger job to move (a good thing) but the shutter release has a greater travel and the flash button needs a definite finger poke for the flash to pop up. A matter of personal taste once more.

Specification-wise, the two biggest differences from the NEX7 are the 16MP sensor (24MP in the 7) and the upgraded auto-focus, which now includes phase detection assist (phase detect is the standard SLR AF method and generally more accurate than contrast detection). Taking the sensor first, 16 megapixels is in practice more than most of us will ever need so not a big deal unless you regularly crop heavily in post-production. It has the advantage of less noise and in my tests I found that the noise at ISO 3200 on the NEX6 is about the same as the NEX7 at ISO 1600 so you gain an extra stop of noise performance (but see the RAW comments later).

Given that the biggest bug-bear I have with the 7 is the AF, which is poor when light levels begin to drop, I was keen to see what the improvement would be with the added phase detect. I did note some possible clues to the answer to this, firstly that the box prominently recommends the LA-EA2 SLT mount adaptor and secondly that the phase detect AF is disabled by default. After enabling it through the menu system, a new pattern is displayed in the viewfinder and the LCD screen, covering a central square of the screen. To test the improvement I took my NEX7 with the 18-55mm kit lens and the NE6 with the new 16-50 zoom (more on that shortly) and in the early afternoon light went into my reasonably dim hallway and tested focusing on some Christmas decorations. As expected, the NEX7 gave its big green box which means "I think I've focused on something but I'm not sure what". Taking the NEX6, from the same position I tried again. Same result. Out of interest I did the same with my Canon SLR, which locked focus immediately, not surprising, and not a fair test so I tried my wife's Nikon J1. It too locked on without a problem. I tried fitting the Zeiss 24mm f1.8 to the NEX6, thinking that the extra light from the wider aperture would give it a fighting chance but no luck. I've spent several hours trying to find if there is a particular light level where the NEX6 beats the 7 but - and obviously these are not scientific tests by any means - I've not found it.

It's only fair to point out that the manual focusing is really well implemented on both cameras: the camera will zoom in to help you focus and the optional focus peaking feature (which highlights edges that are in focus)is excellent. Here's a real world example for you. In December I went to Lapland and, due to hand baggage restrictions, took the NEX7 instead of my SLR. At that time of year there are only 4 hours of daylight and it's dim light at best. I was never able to get below ISO 1600 (1/30s at f5.6 - yes, THAT dim!) even at midday - the AF was practically useless throughout. I was able to get sharp images using the manual focus tools in most situations except where there was fast movement, like kids on toboggans. My SLR would have coped but would have been much more cumbersome - I was able to shove the NEX in a pocket in my ski suit.

This brings me to the new kit lens supplied with the NEX6. The 16-50mm motorised zoom is much smaller than the old 18-55 and looks a better match for the body. When you switch the camera on it extends but afterwards does not extend further as you zoom in. Zooming in can either be done with the single knurled ring or using a slider underneath. The slider has less travel so zooms a little faster but also performs a digital zoom after a slight pause at the 50mm end, something to be aware of as this will reduce quality. I found it easier to use the ring, which is well implemented as after you have zoomed in or out and depressed the shutter release part-way to focus, the same ring can then be used to adjust focus. I found that I adapted to this way of working very quickly. I hate the Sony lens caps anyway, finding the pinch mechanism too fiddly, but with this lens it doesn't clip in very securely. No lens hood is supplied either.

In terms of end results, I found that the files produced by the NEX6 were very similar to the excellent NEX7 images, so much so that justifying the additional expense for the 7 is hard. Yes, on paper it has a lower resolution sensor but in the real world this isn't really noticeable unless you regularly print at A3 or bigger (and how many of us do that?) and the NE6 has the advantage of lower noise. There is a slight caveat here, in that the camera does a fair amount of noise reduction when creating JPEG files, and also corrects for quite severe distortion and some vignetting by the 16-50mm lens. If you shoot in the higher quality RAW mode you will need to perform these corrections, which adds to the post-processing required (albeit straightforward using Lightroom for example).

Overall, the NEX6 is better value than the NEX7 although Sony has cut back on the included accessories. No separate battery charger is included, so charging has to be done via the camera body. But the camera is capable of very good results, the new kit lens makes it much more pocketable and the AF is no worse than on the 7 in poor light. Add in the excellent electronic viewfinder and why would you look any further.
55 Comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 January 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The NEX-6 is small, lightweight, ideal when space is at a premium and doesn't compromise on the quality of still or video footage shots that you can capture (I have been able to put the camera in a pocket without feeling bulked out). The camera is equally strong across both media and avoids the need to double up with kit.

Automatic options enable the snapshot amateur to produce excellent results without needing to delve into features in depth and a host of shooting options are available via on screen menus for the more exacting or professional photographer. On screen help menus offer the opportunity to become proficient on the fly rather than constantly consulting a printed manual.

* At a glance

Pros: High quality across still shots and video. Compact. Built in viewfinder. Simplified ergonomics for snapshots. Integral flash. Motorised zoom.

Cons: Unlike the NEX-5N the menu is not 'touch screen'. Charging is 'within camera' - no external battery charger is supplied.

* In the box

The camera body with 18-50mm power zoom lens attached (no body or rear lens caps included), strap, battery, in-camera charger, detachable cup for the viewfinder, software and a handbook.

IMPORTANT NOTE: No memory card is included as part of the package so you may wish to consider purchasing one, particularly if this is intended as a gift to avoid disappointment. I use a class 10 card, which offers sufficient speed to ensure video footage can be copied down without errors, as well as a reasonably fast turn-around for individual shots without missing the action.

* Ease of Operation

A few camera operations have been simplified for the first time user, such as transfer of some of the menu options to on-body dials. However, I found the overall feel of the NEX-6 slightly strange after using the NEX-5N and it took me a couple of weeks to break 'learnt' habits but someone coming fresh to the range may find it easier. I confess that even the on/off switch was a mystery until I had consulted the manual - it is back to where it always had been in the days when I had used an SLR, neatly housed around the base of the shutter release.

The LCD screen can be tilted up to sit at 90 degrees to the camera body, which makes it much easier to monitor what you are taking when the camera is on a tripod or held at low level. The screen can then also be tilted to face down (sitting in a v-shape at about 30 degrees to the camera), which would make it easier to take shots above the head, for example.

There are two automatic shooting modes that mean you can practise taking shots with the camera without needing to wade through the entire manual first, which will probably be a relief given the manual is an inch thick, although 'only' 63 pages are in English. A far more comprehensive manual running to 247 pages (all in English) can be downloaded from the supplied CD. Once you start to feel familiar with the camera, this is well worth a look as it will help ensure you get the most out of what is a fantastic camera.

I missed the touch screen of the NEX-5N to start with but (after initially feeling slightly at sea) the built in viewfinder and flash combined with more menu features that are laid out on dials actually work out very well in the NEX-6 and I do prefer it. For instance, the panoramic photograph feature is something I was increasingly using; it has to be turned on/off via the menu system on the NEX-5N whereas the NEX-6 has this option on a dial offering this style of shooting at the flick of a switch (well, turn of a dial, but you know what I mean).

* Picture and Video Quality

These are both superb. When new to the camera, the automatic options will enable you to immediately take great images without very much effort, even in very low light levels. Your skills can be honed via the host of shooting options accessed via the menu or dial but I know that, even if I have to grab the camera to catch something unexpected, the resultant shot will be good.

* Battery charger

I was a little disappointed to find that the battery (and any spares) can only be charged whilst in the camera with the supplied accessory. It isn't a deal breaker, minor overall and if you only use one battery you'll wonder why I even mention it. I do take a lot of photographs and film and, although the battery life is good, I always have at least one spare battery for fear of running out on a long day out. An external charger makes life easier and is one accessory I'd recommend as an optional extra.

* Interchangeable Lenses

The camera is supplied with a 16-50mm power zoom lens. It provides a good, albeit basic range of framing possibilities, aided by the digital zoom automatically kicking in after a slight pause at the 50mm level. By magnifying the existing image, the digital zoom will reduce the resolution of the result. It is worth noting that this quality reduction is not so apparent through the viewfinder and may result in a disparity between the quality of what you see on camera and the end result.

The supplied 16-50mm lens is ideal when it comes to movie footage as it is possible to zoom in or out on your subject matter with less risk of camera shake than is the case if you manually operate via the ring.

Sony offer a range of fully compatible lenses to purchase separately, including an 18-200mm zoom that allows you to get much closer to some action and a fisheye convertor for ultra wide angle shots.

* Focusing

One area where I do still hanker a little after the touch screen facility of the NEX-5N. Focusing on objects is more tricky (in the early days anyway) with the NEX-6. I used the NEX-5N screen to notify the camera of the focus subject and this enabled me to obtain perfectly focussed shots of a young Blackbird fledgling hiding within thick foliage. This was a tricky shot (for me) but the NEX-5N made capturing the young bird a relatively easy feat thanks to the touch screen subject identification. The absence of a touch screen meant that I had to consult the manual to learn how to identify a focus subject in a busy scene; the Fn button on the NEX-6 provides an option to select autofocus with manual focusing to finish off - pin sharp images really are possible even without the touch screen, albeit they take slightly more effort from the photographer.

* Viewfinder and Flash

The NEX-6 incorporates both a viewfinder and flash within the camera body. This has been achieved with a few compromises (probably the loss of the touch LCD screen and also ease of access to the SD card, which is slightly tight against the hinge), but they are well worth it.

I was always slightly concerned I might lose the separate flash for the NEX-5N (housed in a case on the strap) and the viewfinder was an expensive extra. The fact that both are now incorporated within the camera body enables one to choose between viewfinder and LCD screen or opt for flash without having to switch kit.

The flip-up/push down flash operates well within a 20 foot space, automatically exposing shots to ensure they are neither under nor over exposed. It adds life to a shot taken in poor light, although the camera is as good as the NEX-5N in poor light conditions in the event that flash is not feasible.

I had grown accustomed to using an LCD screen in isolation for framing shots, focusing and so on but the integrated viewfinder adds the flexibility that a simple move of the camera to the eye 'activates' the viewfinder and makes things significantly easier when strong sunlight can otherwise render the LCD screen image difficult to see.

* Video

I love the motorised zoom offered by this lens; it makes zooming in on the subject a much smoother option than it has been with the NEX-5N, albeit the range of the supplied lens is a little limited at 18-50mm. The quality of the footage is superb - I haven't carried a separate camcorder since I started to use an NEX-5 camera a few years ago; there just isn't any need to have a separate video camera anymore.

* Summary

It can be very easy to get bogged down in technicalities, particularly when faced with such a comprehensive manual. The camera produces good quality movie and still images with very little user input on the automatic settings and I doubt the results would disappoint most users. For the aficionado the NEX-6 offers a treasure trove of features and the CD manual offers enough material to keep any techie happy for months. This is a lovely camera that offers the portability and convenience of a compact without compromising the results. You don't need to be an expert to achieve good results and it does a lot of the hard work for you. The only thing it doesn't do is find the subject material for you.
44 Comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 April 2016
I bought my Nex6 'used - like new' from a private individual selling via Amazon and I was very satisfied with the deal (Thanks Peter the Painter). With the camera and kit 16 - 50mm kit lens plus all 'boxed' items came a Lowepro gadget bag, spare battery, travel charger and a book on how to get the best out of the Nex6 system camera. All items were in pristine condition. Having used the camera for several months now, my impressions are as follows.

I shoot stills only so I cannot comment on the camera's video capability, but several other reviewers have. Nearly all my photographs are shot in Raw and post-processed in ACR using Lightroom v.5. so I haven't made use of the fully automatic modes i.e. 'Intelligent Auto' and 'Superior Auto' which can be used only when you are shooting JPEGs.

For me, image quality is where it's at and this camera, with its kit lens, is capable of delivering high quality images. I particularly like the facility to view a histogram on the preview screen which makes it easier to adjust exposure manually and get it right first time in tricky lighting situations that can otherwise 'fool' the camera. If you want the full tech story on the Nex6 and the low-down on how it compares with other mirrorless cameras or entry to mid-level DSLRs, you might consider checking out the comprehensive review of the camera on 'dpreview.com'.

In use, I find the handling of the camera to be comfortable and with the lens retracted it can be slipped into a coat pocket. I like the fact that it has both an electronic viewfinder and an LCD screen, both of which can be adjusted for brightness. The fact that the screen can be tilted is very useful for tripod or low angle shots. Personally, I haven't found the often-mentioned in criticism menu system of the Nex6 to be cumbersome or awkward to use. This may be due in part to the fact that I have not made use of all the features of the camera.

In summary, the Nex6 has very good picture quality; convenient to use and quite compact it makes a great travel camera for photography enthusiasts looking for the superior performance that comes from a top of the range APSC format, CMOS sensor viz a viz 'compact cameras' in general. Five stars.
on 11 May 2014
A pretty good camera and there are a lot to like with the camera, which have been pointed out by other reviewers and have no intention to repeat wasting people's time. In general terms only:
-it has a nice feel when holding it
-it is fast
-it is reliable
-Complete disrespect for their customers who showed their trust in Sony, bought the camera only to find out that they cannot actually download any application from their (heavily advertised) Application store, since their country is NOT supported. And it is not just one country but a lot, some full members of the European union for years now, like mine (Cyprus). The worst is that it seems that none is cared about it or doing anything about it. They just keep advertising, without even a decent warning, without the minimum respect to their potential buyers to know that only a handful of countries are supported. Being soooo pleased with my Sony A57 (which is compacted with features and a multi-frame noise reduction so easily accessible upto iso 1600), being a wonderful camera, I decided to trust SONY once more with their NEX 6.
- Furthermore the kit lens PZ 16-50 OSS is nowhere near as sharp as the kit lens that comes with my son's Lumix G5 (which is a fantastic camera, at half the price ) which is sharp, sharp, sharp.
- The HDR function in NEX 6 is basic compared to the HDR function in Lumix G5 which is highly customizable and allows up to 7 different exposures at your hearts content as opposed to NEX 6 (3 shots). I know, that some will say that there's no need for more that 3 shots. But believe me there's a huge difference.
_ How frustrating it was to find out that there's no way to attach a remote shutter release on the camera. One can only use an infra red remote, which is not practical in all casessince you have to place yourself in front of the camera with the remote pointing straight at the camera. The only other way to do that, is to download an application (from their Application store) something impossible for many many people, since their country is not supported. And what/whose idea was that, for such a trivial thing like attaching a cable release, to download an application, then navigate the camera's menu to activate the remote release application, then switch to your phone or tablet find the remote application there, activate it and all that to take a picture. You cannot even activate the self-timer when in HDR mode. Surely, the people behind this are not photographers.
Ok, I've made a mistake but they've lost a potential customer for a full frame Sony camera. I am in the process of returning it.
22 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 December 2014
First of all, I am an amateur photographer and my assessment is based on my humble experience using the Sony NEX-6 for over a year now so don't take everything I say here as absolute, it is just an opinion :)

* Very light to carry around (not surprises here)
* Image quality is definitely very good. You can check link below on Flickr where the majority of the images were taken with the NEX (hint: I do post processing)
* Menu is easy to use. Don't know why lots of people complain about it and my guess is, they are folks who got used to menu from other manufactures (Canon or Nikon) and the switch is bit hard for them. If you are a first time DSLR user, I don't think you will complain
*The battery is generally very good, I take lots of pictures on hiking trips and hardly have to use the extra battery I keep on with me
*It is very easy to clean the sensor. I am an amateur and managed to easily do it after checking on YouTube video. I think it is because the sensor is directly suited under the lens and it is fully exposed once you take out the lens which make it easy to clean (Just put in mind, it is always risky to clean the sensor yourself so make sure you know what you are doing)
* The viewfinder is just awesome

* I easily noticed how bad the auto focus is when there isn't much light around. It wasn't a big issue for me as I am using the manual most of the time but will definitely upgrade in future as shooting moving objects is a lot hard without a good auto focus.
* Lenses options are limited and expensive which is still holding me up from investing more in Sony and thinking to move another brand which offers bigger selections and better prices. It is even worse when I considered moving to Sony's new full frame, the collection is even far less and much more expensive.
* It is not weather/rain sealed which is so silly. I bought the camera because it is light to carry around while hiking but then I have to worry about it if it started to rain (and it rains a lot in this country). It is again one of reasons which made think about moving to Canon 70D. I took the risk few times to take some pictures while it was raining and nothing happened, thankfully.
*The camera software might sometimes just hang, it is not something frequent, may be once every a couple of month or more (so nothing serious). Have to take the battery out so it reboots as it freezes entirely.
*When using the bulk mode for night photography, it doesn't display a timer to let you know for how long it has been running, I found it quiet annoying.
*I failed to do any proper astrophotography but reason might be I don't know how to do it right plus I read that only a full frame can do proper astrophotography (may be , not sure)
*Sometimes I wonder if they can put an extra physical button to use the menu less. I think if they made the camera little bit bigger to add more buttons (and make it weather sealed), will be better than trying to focus too much on make it too small.
* I have no idea why they didn't add a touch screen or GPS !

on 12 February 2014
Great camera and lenses, (see other reviews) BUT there is a massive design flaw. When in HDR or Auto bracketing modes you cannot use the self timer or an electronic shutter release, EXACTLY THE TIME YOU NEED THEM TO AVOID VIBRATION!!! It's only when you start to use the camera that you discover this glaring design flaw, then it's too late! With my Canon SLR kit, I can set the camera on the tripod and release the shutter via the self timer thereby negating any vibration. I've been in touch with Sony and they have no plans to provide a firmware update, Shocking! The designer of this camera was obviously not a photographer. If you decide to purchase this product be aware of the problem. If you are going to purchase any other Sony cameras, check carefully to see if they also have this flaw. I'll be selling mine and buying from a company who know how to make cameras for photographers.

UPDATE: I've now sold this camera and my wife's too with all the lenses and upgraded to a Fujifilm X-E2. Far, far superior in every way to the Sony NEX6. The Fuji lenses outperform the Sony by a country mile. Build quality is far superior too, proper metal lenses rather than the cheap plastic affairs that Sony sell. Oh, by the way, you can release the shutter no less than 3 ways when in any mode. Via an electronic release, by the self timer or by a screw-in mechanical release. Sorry Sony, you've lost at least two high spending customers for ever, your loss is Fuji's gain.
22 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 January 2013
++ image quality, especially high iso. On par with many APS-C DSLRs.
++ compatibility with *vast* variety of manual focus lenses via adapters (to name a few: Leica M, Leica R, Canon FD, Canon EOS, Nikon F, Olympus OM, Minolta MD, Contax, ...)
++ focus peaking makes using manual focus lenses extremely easy and fast
++ autofocus quite fast, easily on par with many DSLRs I've tried. (though there are faster DSLR/lens pairs)
++ face detection autofocus accurate and surprisingly useful
++ reassuring build quality (though body not all-metal)
++ two concentric control dials work really well. The inner one is much crisper so that there is no chance to accidentally change it while using the outer one.
++ motor-zoom ring on kit lens not as horrible as I expected. really quick and quiet. also, retracts and expands very quietly on start-up.
++ comfortable and effective hand grip
++ pop-up flash can be pointed to the ceiling to bounce

-- no way to set maximum iso for auto modes.
-- auto modes often jump to iso 3200 rather than using larger apertures, even with the kit lens. In general there is no easy way to make the camera prefer large apertures over fast exposure times or higher ISO.
-- kit lens not great (Jpeg images look good due to in-camera software processing. But you will never forget the moment you mount a really sharp lens for the first time.)
-- no body cap or rear lens cap included. For an interchangeable lens camera I consider that basic.
-- sd card fiddly to remove as it's very close to the hinge of the cover
-- direct wifi transfer of pictures not compatible with Macs. Annoying dependency on proprietary software.
-- Fn button is nice but a control dial in front of the shutter button would have been much nicer. Even the Sony F707 had that.
-- There are two programmable buttons next to the screen yet it's impossible to make one increase and the other decrease the ISO. Instead, you can only set either to bring up the ISO menu.
-- program shift (time/aperture) in program mode is great but why no time/ISO shift in aperture priority mode?

These are my personal pluses and minuses. No claim of completeness. There is an irony in that I have partly bought the camera because of the phase-detection autofocus (which works fine) yet by now I am mostly taking photos with an old Leica M-mount lens. The feeling of total control and zero lag and the reliability of focus peaking even without any magnification deliver a directness that I have missed ever since parting with a Nikon FM2 :-)
22 Comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 January 2013
Let's face it, I was never really 100% happy with my NEX5N. I didn't really have a problem with the picture quality, it was controls, or the lack of them which I could never really get to grips with. These are first impressions only after owning the camera for about a month.

I should probably have bought an NEX7 but I could not face parting with nearly £1000 for a camera that wasn't a DSLR.

I have invested over the years in many lenses for the Sony alpha system and also previous Minolta lenses. And I really didn't want to switch to another camera manufacturer, even though with the amount of adapters available this wouldn't have been too much of a problem.

This camera is slightly larger physically then the NEX5N, Something which I welcome. I did find the small size of 5N somewhat limiting. I don't have large hands but I did find that camera a bit too small, Also the lack of built-in flash was a bit of a problem although in the end it worked out well because I added a bounce card to the flash which improved the shots very well. Something I admit I miss a bit with the 6, As you physically have to pull the flash backwards to get a bounce effect.

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised by the Ability to configure the camera in the way I wanted. Although it is not as flexible as the NEX7. Some people bemoan the lack of a touchscreen on this camera, I don't find this to be an issue as I personally do not like touch screen controls on this sort of device. I do like the viewfinder but I find that it is a bit small and I really have to jam my eye into the viewfinder to be able to get a good image.

Picture wise this camera performs very similarly to the 5N, Although I'm not convinced about the lens It does sometimes seem to miss focus, not out of focus exactly just a little soft. I'm going to keep a close eye on this. Also the lens can take a couple of seconds to retract back if switch the camera off, Something which may catch you out the first couple of times. Interestingly the file Sizes seem to be a little bigger than the corresponding ones for the 5N.

I find the available applications for the camera OK. Although I do think sometimes think they are little over complicated and could be seen as a license to print money for some features that should be available as the standard in the camera.

I find it annoying that's increasingly with new cameras they do not provide a battery charger standards you are expected to charge it via USB With the battery in the camera. What do you do if you want to charge a spare A wee bit too much like pennypinching in my opinion.

I've yet to print out any enlargements from this camera I'm interested see how it stacks up to my previous one and my A900. I haven't really yet put it through its paces I've only shot about 100 frames with this camera my other bodies run into the many thousands.
22 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 August 2015
After returning from a recent holiday where I had an extended opportunity to use the NEX6 I thought it would be a good opportunity to write a mini review. My NEX6 was bought to replace an NEX5N. Why did I replace the 5 with the similar 6 you may ask?

Basically, I was very happy with the 5N especially the picture quality, except for a few small problems.

1. Lack of built in viewfinder
2. Lack of built in flash and could not use the accessory flash if I bought the optional and expensive accessory EVF.
3. Modes PASM had to be selected by menu.
4. Not keen on touch screens especially given this adds greasy fingerprints to the only screen available for use.
5. Small body out of proportion to the kit lens.

The NEX6 resolves all of the above handling issues perfectly. I am now really happy and can see myself keeping the camera for a long time to come.

As a last point, I prefer the 18-55mm kit lens to the newer and more compact 16-50mm kit lens on the 6. The reason is the more professional feel and proper mechanical focus and zoom on the older lens v's the electronic zoom and delayed start time on the new one. Therefore, I have kept the 18-55mm and will probably sell the 16-50mm.