on 27 December 2016
Awesome ...Mint as described ....Awesome stuff
on 4 October 2012
I've only just started using this camera and I must say I am very impressed. Coming from a Nikon D300 & a D7000 camera and having read all the hype I expected great things from the D600. What I did not expect was to be utterly blown away by the results of my first tests. Using the camera in fine jpeg mode and neutral colour bias with and without the built in flash with an AF-S 50mm 1.4g I shot off about sixty or so images of pretty much anything around me. I have not posted pictures as I am sure nobody will want to see the clutter in my living room, not to mention the fact that most of the subjects were items of furniture, ornaments and a few of my dogs. Not the most exciting stuff in the world. In any event even with the rather dull subject matter I was rivited to my laptop by the stand out quality of the images that this combination can produce.
There is no sign of the much mentioned colour shift on the cameras rear display and the auto ajusting semsor on the same works efficiently and accurately. There appears to be no issues with left focus or multi-flash ussage with my three Nikon flashguns as has been mentioned as being an issue on the D800.
The focusing area is smaller than I would of liked but not a deal breaker and easily worked around. The system in my limited testing so far has proved itself to be quite efficient except when I tried to focus on a half leaf covered all white metal plate with evenly spaced holes all over its surface. This is the only thing that I have found can give the AF a problen thus far. I have found that the AF is happier when the camera is used in landscape mode as apposed to portrait mode which I would gues is somthing to do with the number of cross type sensors available for portrait/landscape mode. Again this is fairly easy to work around.
I have experemented with high ISO settings and managed to take a few very pleasing images of my son's warderobe with a considerable amount of clear detail and surprisingly little noise, even though I could only make it out as a dark shape the other side of his room. This was at ISO 25000 which is a whole lot higer than I would usually use.

The only possible negative point I have discovered so far is with the flash. Whether using the inbuilt unit or an external flash the colours are unaturally warm and saturated. On certain subjects the effect is actually very pleasing but for the main I find it best to use the inbuilt options to tone the colour and warmth down a little. Again not a major issue and some may even concider it an advantage depending on the type of images you take.

All in all, I am very impressed with this camera and would highly reccomend it to both enthusiasts and professionals alike.

One final point is that Amazon as usual delivered the goods in a timely fashion and well packaged to avoid damage in transit.
44 Comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2012
I am not really a gear head but my eyesight is getting a bit worse and I found the bigger viewfinder really helped me sooooo..... I traded my d300 and a couple of DX lenses in at a local dealer against a D600 and 50mm f1.8 AFS, would have loved to use amazon and save myself 150 quid. Enough said, this reminds me of my first and only camera for 25 years the Nikon FE in that it is smaller lighter than the professional models but is still capable of stunning results. Nikon really do have great ergonomics and everything is almost infinitley customisable to your style, tough there is less direct access to some functions as in the professional models via dedicated buttons to me this is more than offset by U1 and U2 settings that let you keep your favourite settings at the twist of a knob so to speak. Build quality is on the whole very good, but some buttons and the command dials lack the solidity of other models. Image quality is very very very good and in low light the pixels just seem to suck light in. The images are sharp with plenty of detail and rich and graduated tones right through the spectrum. The light has been rubbish all week and I can't wait to see what this camera is really capable of. ISO is very good I photographed a friends birthday party at ISO 5000 in a darkened hall and got very useable images. AF is excellent bearing in mind that if you want to photograph a black cat in a coal seller it will struggle or you want to focus on a moving subject right across the frame. I found the setting - AFA mode with 39 points very fast and predictable for everyday use.

Add to that the brilliant Nikon CLS system for flash and there is very little the D600 cannot do. I particularly like the option of the HDR mode for capturing both sky and subject which is invaluable for where high and lowlights light details get lost.

All in all Nikon got it just right for the price point, this is an enthusiast camera for those who like to take a wide variety of photographs and it will reward you with some stunning results. If you are more specialised then think carefully about this camera and look at the D800/D4 if your budget allows. I do some weddings when asked and I can't wait with the D600. Any downsides? one or two, Nikon Capture NX2 is not included so you will have to purchase this if you want the full benefit of the Nefs and one other thing the function wheel on the back is a bit small. Otherwise Nikon can put a brilliant tool for picture taking in your hands at a price that has become very much more affordable but still isn't cheap, now for a wide angle zoom.....
on 12 June 2013
I bought this D600 two weeks ago. The size, weight and feel are superb. The viewfinder is large and the portraits I have taken look wonderful.

But, what a FILTHY sensor. This is unacceptable on a new camera.

Using apertures from 2.8 to f5.6 with a 100mm macro lens on portraits has produced beautiful pictures. The dirty sensor does not show on such open apertures. The other day I took some macro shots and set the aperture between f/16 and f/32 to get a decent depth of field. When loading the pictures on to my computer the images looked horrific and covered, literally, in hundreds of dust and oily spots. I rang Nikon and they told me that the dirty sensor is documented as a problem on their D600 website page. The man told me that the oil and dirty sensor problems are occurring on certain D600's and Nikon do not yet have a solution to this. I have read that these problems go away after taking 3000 shots. Nikon said I can send the camera to them for a sensor clean and maybe a new mirror and shutter mechanism. I said that this was unacceptable on a new camera costing £1369.00. No way should I have to do this with a two-week old camera which should not have these problems. This camera is going back to Amazon. It's a real shame as I love it but it really is substandard and not acceptable.

Update: I bought a blower as suggested by Nikon, and I cleaned the sensor. No joy I am afraid. The marks, dots and filth are still showing on the pictures. I have also used a 50mm 1.4G and the problems are still there from f/11 to f/16. I have now returned the camera. Such a shame, as the D600 is the nicest camera I have ever used. If Nikon get some quality control and sort this major problem out then I will buy another D600. Until then it is bye bye Nikon.
1010 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2012
I loved this camera. Got it in early November and instantly fell in love. This was my first Nikon camera. I have used Sony previously. Ergonomics of D600 is very good and I experienced very little friction in learning the controls and ways of this camera. My main fear with DSLR technology is AF accuracy. D600 proved to be a reliable camera in this regard focusing spot on about 9 out of 10 times with 85/1.8 G lens. The AF zones are grouped in the middle but are sufficiently spread for most shots. Sensor distribution across frame can be better but is not a problem. One big annoyance is the lack of direct 100% magnification in review - one has to zoom all the way in and then go back 2 steps....very slow.

I unfortunately returned my camera as after 3 weeks of use and 4000 shots. By that time the sensor was densly packed with dust and a simple blow would not solve the issue. I own three other interchangeable lens cameras and never had such quantity of dust. My Sony A700 is 5 years old and has had only couple of dust blowing intervnetions to remove single dust specs. As other reviewers indicated this amount of dust is clearly not due to lens changes, something is falling apart inside the camera. So I decided to not wait for the warranty to finish and see this great camera die due to the root cause issue for the dust (defect in shutter, mirror or other emchanical mechanism).

So end of the day I returned the D600 with great regrets. I hope Nikon soon come public about this issue and solve it so I can buy another D600 and enjoy it. Even if Nikon only acknowldge the problem andprovide assesment of any possible further damage that may occur I could buy the camera again. Nikon so far are not coming open and this leaves customers in limbo.
88 Comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 January 2013
I made the decision to upgrade to a Full frame (FX) camera over several months after the D600 was released. I loved my twin D300 cameras but the only things holding me back with them was the high ISO performance (low light shooting) and the reduced control over depth of field because of the smaller sensor. I decided that I could upgrade to FX and sell one of my D300's and f2.8 DX lens collection to pay for it, and use a f4 zoom and some prime lenses on the D600.

First impressions were good, this camera is not as sturdy or solid in the hand when compared to the D300, but for my use it feels robust enough. The handgrips are slightly thinner and less grippy than those on the D300 and it certainly feels more like the amateur camera Nikon say it is than the professional level D300, D300s or the D700. My fourth finger on my right hand only half fits onto the grip, so I can see I will want the optional MB-D14 battery grip to make the camera more comfortable to hold if I use it for an all day shoot.

I've spent 5 years learning about depth of field, shutter speed and ISO on the DX line of cameras, and the FX camera doesn't feel as different as I thought it might. The main differences I have noticed so far compared to the D300 are the lack of grainy noise at ISOs above 800 and the exposure and white balance are more accurate. The pictures just look better straight from the camera than the exact same images shot on DX. I have only tried RAW files so far, but the output at ISO 6400 on the D600 is around the same as ISO 1600 on the D300 as far as noise goes.

Many of the controls are slightly different on the D600 as there are less buttons than on the D300 style bodies. The main controls I've noticed/missed are the button for selecting focus points (multi or single point focus) and the quality/iso/white balance buttons. The lack of dedicated button means you have to press another button and then turn one of the control dials by the shutter release. Once you've done this a few times it becomes intuitive and no slower to use than on the older camera. Many people have criticized the smaller spread of the focus points, but I haven't found this to be a big problem.

The other differences between these two cameras are more subtle. There is a brighter, more colourful look to the images shot on the D600, no doubt in part due to the increased tonal range from the sensor and in the Expeed 3 processing engine. The subject 'pops out' far more in the images on full frame, both because of the colours and also the reduced depth of field. Although the background blur and bokeh are not as dramatically different as I thought they may be, the effect does enhance the photos noticeably.

So, was it worth the investment? The D600 at the time of writing is almost £1000 more than a used D300 in excellent condition. I could only afford it because I had spent some time building up a collection of DX lenses which I have now sold. It feels like I am starting again now, as there will no doubt be some FX glass that I end up wanting (eg a super wide angle lens) - but the main reason for going to FX has been to reduce the weight of my camera kit. The difference in low light performance of the FX cameras means that f2.8 lenses can be substituted with f4 lenses and the weight of kit overall will be reduced. A couple of primes can be bought cheaply to take care of portrait work and very low light situations, and a 24-120 f4 for everything else.

I am pleased that I finally took the plunge and bought into full frame photography. The D800 is another step up and would mean an upgrade to my computer to handle the file size so that was out of the question. The D600 is perfectly placed for the very top of the range in amateur photography and I am delighted with my purchase.
review image
33 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 September 2012
I'm not one for writing reviews about products as I usually just prefer to get out and enjoy my purchases rather than bleet on about how fantastic, or not as the case may be, they are. However, this camera is seriously great and I think it warrants a quick write up, and after all, I'm sure there's a few of you who will find my comments of some interest.

Let me start by saying that I am a converted Canon user of old and came from a 5D mk2 with some nice L glass to go with it. I sold off the Canon stuff and picked up a D7000 with a couple of DX lenses and was blown away with the image quality that this crop sensor could produce. For me personally, I realised that Nikon bodies were beating Canon stuff and so I started building my collection of Nikon glass.
At the start of this year I was lucky enough to be able to purchase a Nikon D4 and this of course has really set the bench mark as far as DSLR's go. When the D600 was announced I was excited as the crop sensor of the D7000 was becoming an irritation when using it as a second or backup to my D4 as I had to take into account the crop factor with my FX glass, and so the D600 seemed to offer the best package for my needs (the D800 was overkill for me at 36mp).

I've only had the D600 for a coupe of days now but it has far exceeded my expectations. The body is small, certainly compared with the D4, but it is chunkier and feels much more solid in the hands than the D7000. It certainly feels a little heavier than the D7k which I like as it seems to balance better with heavy glass on the front. The build quality is good, and whilst it does have some plastic parts it does not feel cheap or delicate.

Positives:

- High ISO performance is outstanding. DxO rate this camera as having the third best sensor in the world, after the D800e and D800. Not bad for a sub £2k camera.
- Handling and ergonomics are very nice indeed (for my hands anyway). I have configured the AE/L AF/L button to be 'AF-ON' and it sits nicely under my thumb. The grip fits my hands well and has enough size to allow my fingers to wrap round securely. Certainly more so than the D7000, but clearly not as much as the D4.
- Image quality is exceptional. The 24mp files are big and really pull out tonnes of fine detail, also allowing room for croppiing. The IQ as far as detail slightly trumps the D4 I would say. But of course the D4 is a different beast altogether :-).
- So far I have not had to apply any AF fine tuning with any of my lenses. Interestingly I did have to tweak a couple of lenses on my D4.
- The AF system is excellent. I have heard people say it is the same AF module lifted from the D7k but I have also read that Nikon have tweaked it somewhat. I thnk it shows as it seems snappier and slightly more accurate than the D7k.

Negatives:

- The plasticy feel of some parts of the camera is a little cheap perhaps, but not offensive. The battery door feels a bit flimsy and doesn't seem to sit completely flush against the bottom of the camera for example. But, I think I am a bit spoilt with the D4 which feels like a tank, so anything else feels a little less solid now.

Thats about my only real minor niggle, but apart from that I can't fault this camera at all. Its really superb and I think represents an excellent option for those looking to get into FF photography, but also those looking for a smaller lighter FF backup or second body.

Personally I think Nikon have done it again and are really leading the way now with DSLR cameras. Canon have their work cut out over the next few years thats for sure. Especially after their recent 6D launch! Oh dear.
2323 Comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 May 2014
I'm sure this is a great camera, although after reading so many posting of people returning them to Nikon and having trouble with the shutter I'm wondering now if this was why Nikon released the D610 so soon after this chappy.

The camera arrived quickly and as I already have a D90 and D800 I'd quickly got to grips with the basics for a video shoot the same day.

Unfortunately within a little while the auto focus on the camera just gave up completely through the lens and only worked in live view. Not a major problem but obviously not great so would have to go back. But as I had a paying shoot that day I put the camera to work, and fortunately/unfortunately after an hour of filming just as I was doing a few interviews the camera just came up with a 'ERR' on the display and no matter how I reset the camera power cycled it refused to do anything. So back to Amazon - who annoyingly would only put £3.99 towards postage and no swap out of the camera out as it wasn't supplied by them direct.

So, although the 3 extra features of the D610 are of no use to me, I have replaced it with the newer model as I can't afford this to happen on a shoot again.

Nikon to be fair were very, very good and the customer support was second to none. The online chat system gets you a real expert within a few minutes who really knows everything and didn't do all the stupid scripted telling you how to power cycle the camera or reset the camera - if you said you'd done this they trusted you and moved onto the next thing. Very impressed with the service so will be happy to keep buying Nikon!

One thing I was a little concerned with from this supplier was the box was a little damaged - nothing more than could have happened in packing, and I didn't realise this until getting the D610, but when I switched the fault camera on it didn't ask me for the time, date and timezone, so I'm wondering has this camera been back and forth a bit, or do the D600 have a tendency to fail?

If you can afford the extra £150 perhaps go for the D610, your gonna be keeping this camera 5-10 years easily.
on 7 May 2013
I purchased this item from Amazons warehouse deals, at a greatly reduced price. After checking it out over the weekend, I pleased to say that no problems have been encountered yet (oil & dust on sensor). Therefore, I happy to give it the thumbs up, by the way the picture quality is excellent.
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 August 2013
OK, so you've done your research and you have decided it's now over a year since these dust / oil on the sensor issues were everywhere, besides there's got to be a chance that Nikon have sorted it and you're bound to get a body with this issue now gone. Or you feel well, my DSLR's all suffer from dust on the sensor and I'll just learn to clean it or blow it off. Or you think I shoot at large apertures anyway so what's the big deal?

I thought of all these points and have gone through 5 bodies and each one after a few shutter actuations showed spots/dust (some of which I did manage to blow off using the Giottos Rocket Blower). So I thought OK I can live with this, I shoot wide open anyway, and what's the most I stop down to? F11, F8 (before diffraction starts to become an issue) so let's see what the problem is like at F8 to F11. Sadly and disappointingly spots do appear and they are noticeable. What is so annoying is that these spots are from particles which must be coming from the shutter box as I have done all the tests which I won't bother to describe here. For those who say stop doing tests and enjoy the camera or stop being technical and shoot some pictures don't seem to grasp the basic concept - if all other Nikon camera's don't display this problem and this one does, then it is a problem. I do need to stop down to about F11 now and then and this camera cannot be trusted to "not draw out particles" which land on the sensor which at any moment can ruin your images.

This camera is almost perfect if not for this issue. OK it's true the D7100 has a bigger and better AF array and that's just silly as it has a smaller sensor. But hey Nikon need to protect their high end Pro range market. What I can't believe is that I am wasting time even writing about this dust/oil issue. I never write reviews, but I feel Nikon bank on people hopefully not having time for this and hence haven't bothered to deal with it. In fact so many corporations now bank on customers not having the time to complain, or to return items or wanting to waste money on expensive complaint lines that they just don't bother with customer service like they should or once did.

Amazon on the other hand - they are absolutely the best. I would buy everything from here if I could, they truly are the best e-tailer. Anyone saying otherwise I suspect is probably hired by competitors (and on that note - no I don't work for Canon or Sony or anyone else).

Anyway it is with great sadness that I have returned these cameras and yes nothing can beat Full Frame performance. Also for me there are 2 prerequisites that make this camera almost perfect, 2 Memory card slots of the same kind, and a built in flash which can also act as a commander for advanced remote flash lighting or even as a simple slave trigger. There is no camera on the market which offers this except this one. Plus when it comes to low light photography this camera is simply the best - no competition (well except for the Nikon D3S).

So at the moment I'm having to get some more life out of my pair of D700's and D7000. I may even buy this again later if I learn that there's a chance Nikon may have sorted this problem as I love this camera, it's gorgeous in every respect, the images that come straight out of the camera (JPEGs) are sublime. I can uninstall Photoshop...!!

If anyone has any questions please "comment" and I will answer.