on 22 November 2015
I am not fun of Apple products, but this one beats any MP3 player I have ever tried! I still do not get why you need to log in to iTune to copy songs and even to charge it, but it does not make the product itself bad, it is more Apple's 'procedure'.
The clip is strong and holds well, I jog/run, box, even use it on motorbike. The buttons could be a bit more prominent (to use it with gloves), but still easy to use. Shuffle button works well, although when you move forward and backwards, you still get the same song that you got before, so I found that a bit funny translation of 'shuffle' but again not moving down from 5 star. You can create playlist in iTune and you can flick between them but not visually you need to hear and choose - again it is Apple software fault that the playlist will not read out the name you gave to your playlists but only the number in order of the playlist - so you better remember or name them on a way that you can remember which playlist1 is...
I have never timed it, but it goes on and on without a charge so 15 hours solid listening sounds quite alright.
Another thing is that there is limit to the volume even if you select in iTune that you want to be in control. But it is plenty, and I belive stays in the healthy range, will not damage your ears, but sometimes you just would love to give it a full blast... :)
I listed all the little annoying things, but as said I love it and use it for many years, and I am planning to buy this waterproofed for swimming too, I am a firm fun of this product and will never replace it!
on 6 January 2016
My 2nd one of these, after the first went AWOL. Great little mp3 player. Overpriced, but that's Apple for you, and, for my sins, I kinda like iTunes, so it seemed like the logical choice. Battery life is pretty good. Somewhere between 8-9 hours of constant use. The supplied headphones have a short cable, which is great for stopping you stepping on the earbuds, when they're hanging down, although this means you have to do all your headphone-stepping-on when you leave them hanging off the side of your coffee table... *cough*.. but I digress.. Charges fast, holds a decent amount. The battery would likely run out before you listened to everything you could get on there.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 June 2015
This was purchased to replace previous ipod shuffle which I had had around 4 years and lost. The little shuffles are absolutely ideal for someone like myself who uses their ipod on the move - out dogwalking, whilst cooking and ironing, on trains and plugged into the car. I listen to talking books and therefore I use my ipod throughout the day in all sorts of circumstances so as to continue with the story. My main ipod is just too large and cumbersome to use in such a way and was in danger of getting broken as I kept dropping it, getting it caught in the car or cupboard doors. These little shuffles are light, tiny enough to tuck into the smallest pocket - and appear to be as tough as old boots. It's a delight to have another. The voice over does not seem to give as much info as the last model - but perhaps it just needs a nudge to set up, I'll investigate but its not an issue. Great value for money and would thoroughly recommend.
on 21 November 2016
This is a standard Apple product produced by the millions and should be fine but it's just been a disaster for us. Bought to replace a shuffle with a screen so more difficult to set up with no real instructions of course. Having loaded it with music it now refuses to charge and has gone completely dead. Won't accept a charge no matter what we try, no charging light, just nothing. Been googling possible solutions but nothing has worked. I guess it goes back!
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 July 2014
Clever and simple - but remember to 'click in' the lead in the socket at the top.

I say this because it's not actually that obvious and the tiny booklet doesn't actually tell you what to do. If you don't 'click it in' - the lead stays loose and does nothing.
Worse - when you put the other end of the tiny lead into your USB port - your Mac or PC won't recognize the external device. But once you click it in - you will see the little neon light beside it as it charges.

The Shuffle then syncs with your iTunes and the onscreen instructions are easy to follow. You can quickly start dragging your highlighted playlists over to your Shuffle icon and they will load up.

Simplez...
2 people found this helpful
on 15 January 2014
Great little item, previously owned the 2nd generation from 2008 but overall this is much better performance wise only.
Firstly you can create playlists via iTunes when connected to a PC like the 'Classic' couldn't do this with previous versions.
You have the option of shuffling your music.
The added voice over option tells you what's playing plus enables you to select any of your created playlists.

One big thing I have noticed compared to previous generations that the volume output for each track is now at the same level so no need to keep turning the volume up/down whilst listening, Apple finally corrected this after all this time.

On the down side it feels more flimsy compared to previous versions and because it is smaller it's not easy to get hold of to attach to your clothing without pressing any of the buttons.

Overall I am very pleased with it, very easy to set up, download and play and had no problems with it!
VINE VOICEon 2 February 2014
I'm sure you know that an iPod Shuffle is a tiny mp3 player, with no screen.
Yes, it's basic. The fact that it's made by Apple does hike the price up a little, but this is a very affordable iPod, and of course, you get integration with iTunes with this.
What I really enjoy about this, is the fact you happily listen to songs you wouldn't have selected. I use this when I'm out jogging, or walking to work. I don't want to be pulling my iPhone out of my pocket to select a different song every few minutes, I just want continuous music. Being so basic, you also get a long battery life. I charge mine up about once a week, with a couple of hours use each day.
If you're a playlist user, you get support for those too, and the robot voice-over man helps you select it.
I'm not a fan of the supplied Apple earphones (nor do I like the new style ones), so I'd recommend looking at Sennheiser or Koss ones (right here on Amazon, if you fancy), but otherwise, I can't fault this very handy little gadget.
on 15 June 2014
I opted to go for the IPod Shuffle after breaking my ITouch and not wanting to invest near £100 for a new one. I thought this would be a bit of a step down, but after using this little player for a few weeks I wouldn't go back.

1) Sound quality is brilliant. When using small MP3 players previously there's a definite drop in quality. Not here.
2) Basic stuff, but I really like being able to clip the player to my top. I'm not a fan of having something strapped to my arm.
3) I use the player at the gym, and it's much easier to increase volume, skip or go back a track using the buttons on the device - rather than having to activate a screen and trying to touch the right part of it whilst running.

I knew that I barely used the features on the ITouch, and certainly I've not missed them once since using the Shuffle.

Two slight downsides:

1) The battery life isn't great.
2) It was slightly disappointing not to have the new Apple earphones included (old design still included). I'm not a big fan of the Apple earphones, and would have been interested to see if the new design is an improvement.
on 30 June 2013
Having thrown money away on cheap alternatives I decided to get a shuffle. It's tiny! I have to keep the headphones plugged into it so I don't lose it but out and about it's a great device to have. The sound quality is excellent. The two small gripes which prevent me giving a five star review are:
a) it's only 2gb so it doen's hold many songs and
b) the itunes software is ridiculously complicated to get to grips with and left me screaming abuse at the computer for an hour. Once installed and running it does the trick though.
Strange thing is the tracks don't show up when you click on the device in My Computer in properties and so the only way to review song selection is through itunes. A bit annoying but not the end of the world. If I lose this thing I will definitely be buying another so that probably says everything. I'm a happy customer.
on 17 July 2016
Brilliant reliable tiny lightweight mp3 player. Shame it requires iTunes software but it is the best mp3 player (with no screen) on the market. Battery life is really impressive! I use it for running, cycling and general fitness and it shows no wear and tear and even works in the rain. I lost my first so replaced it with this. Definitely recommend!