Customer reviews

on 26 October 2013
After reading my sister's paper edition of this book I decided to buy the Kindle version. Unfortunately this has no index for specific recipes and it is very irritating to have to scroll through each category separately to find a particular one. Maybe this is a mistake as it is also not possible to click on the Table of Contents on the menu as this is greyed out! A minor nuisance perhaps as one can always scroll back to the beginning of the book but it should not be like this. However, Diana Henry's recipes are wonderful!
on 29 March 2017
Great Purchase, clear and concise, with some great simple receipes
on 26 April 2017
Still includes ingredients you probably haven't heard of and certainly not easily available anywhere that's not in the suburbs of big cities.
on 27 April 2017
Good value
on 26 September 2017
Excellent. Clear and simple.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 November 2009
A wonderful book with lots of tasty, easy to make recipes, particularly valuable for those with limited time. The aim is for easy preparation; even if the cooking takes longer, it generally isn't necessary to tie yourself to the cooker for hours and so the recipes are perfect for after-work suppers but will also work for informal dinner or lunch parties. I like that I can do a generalised shop without having anything particular in mind and then find something in the book to produce a lovely meal. For example, if you have pork chops then, with a fairly basic store cupboard, you could try Smothered Pork Chops with Mustard & Thyme Butter, Pork Chops Lyonnaise, Thai-spiced Pork Chops with a lime dipping sauce, chops Italian-style with fennel seeds or Spanish chops with orange, amongst others. The same applies to chicken, sausages (Vine-grower' Sausages, Gascon sausages & beans, baked sausages with leeks, cider & apples to name just a few), lamb, etc.. There is a lovely chapter on spring & summer vegetables followed by one devoted to autumn & winter veg.. Similarly, there are chapters on summer and winter puddings. I am not very confident with puddings & cakes but all the recipes I have tried from the book have turned out exactly as described. The first one I tried was a baked lime & passion fruit pudding - the idea was that a layer of sauce would form under the sponge and, much to my surprise, it worked perfectly and my guests loved the zesty flavours. The summer desserts are wonderfully simple but full of flavour e.g. Grilled Apricots with blackberries & mascarpone, peaches in rose syrup, Swedish baked peaches with raspberries & almonds, plus a great summer fruit brulee.

I like the fact that this book enables me to pick whatever meat, fish, veg, etc is available and come home knowing I can produce something a little more interesting without having to spend hours in the kitchen.
on 19 November 2007
I bought this book a couple of weeks ago and i am using it all the time, for dinner parties, for children's teas and for tired husbands. It really work for me having the chapters grouped around ingredients that I always have (or can easily get) like sausages, chicken etc. I would highly recommend it.
on 23 May 2014
I have many of Diana Henry's cook books and many of her recipes are absolute family favourites. I noticed this title when placing an order on Amazon for her new book A Change of Appetite, and realized that I needed to add this early book to my collection. It does not disappoint and has already helped me to create some new delicious dishes and there are many more that I can't wait to try out. Thank you Diana, once again.
on 7 January 2017
This was a present they was pleased with it.
on 14 March 2016
Some good recipes here, a nice refresher.