on 20 January 2014
I have owned the Makita 8391DWPE (the one with the red battery you get from screwfix / b&q for £100) of which I was very very happy. Never had a job it couldn't do. When the batteries finally died I was going to replace like for like but I fancied an impact driver also so purchased this combo. Am I glad I did.

Both tools have a fantastic build quality and feel. The drill is about twice as powerful as the 8391 and just feels right. The impact drive put my 6" M12 test coach bolt into solid timber without even breaking out a sweat. But boy is it loud - ear defenders are most defiantly required.

Overall if you can afford it, go for these.

Review Update: Jan 2016 - 2 years later.
Still very happy, still going strong. Batteries still fine. So still very happy.
The only real criticism I have is that the drill is a little heavy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 July 2015
These drills are the business they are very light that's the first thing you will notice the batteries only take 30-40 mins to charge the drill itself comes with a depth gauge a handy tool if you only want to go so deep it also comes with a handle and like most modern drills today a belt clip. The drill has amazing power when drilling it's so fast and easy yes I would say it has limitations like all battery power drills do but so far this is the best I have come across so far. The second drill a compact drill brilliant but your screw bit in the end and just screw I have had no issues anymore with screw heads shattering or anything it just keeps on performing every day like the last this again ones with the belt clip which I have found very handy whilst working at height overall this set is fantastic and at the price it's at its a steal you have a well known trusted make in makita.
on 26 March 2014
This was bought as a belated Christmas present for my husband who is absolutely over-the-moon with his new 'toy'.
One of the things he loves is that there is an additional battery which can be used while the other is charging. He is impressed with the feel of it and the power the kit gives him. He feels the kit is just 'spot-on' and likes that it comes in its own case.
Buying on Amazon represented very good value for money.
Hubby is in year 5 (!) of renovating our 70s home and he doesn't know how he has managed without this bit of kit before now. All I know is that the pace of work has now has had a significant boost!
This kit is recommended by us both!
on 3 March 2014
I've replaced my old 18v makita with this set and would recommend it to any tradesman. The impact is a beast and will fire 4" screws into rough timber with no hassle. Quick charger makes for more progress rather than waiting around for too long. The combi drill also has great torque and there hasn't been a job it's struggled with at all! The only thing I could possibly pull it on is the carry case. It has plastic clips and they could brake easily, I had the same problem with the last makita box. Apart from that a great buy and good value through buying on amazon.
on 3 June 2013
The makita 458 having two gears, instead of its predecessors (451) three gears, is a clear improvement. Not that the 451 was a bad tool by any means. Apparently, makita say, that after some market research, turned out that tradesmen and DIY ers only used gears 1 and 3 anyway, and if you're going to have gearbox hassle, it's more likely going to occur with a more complicated gearbox - makes sense.
The tool has wonderful feel and balance, and is just all round quality in my opinion. I've been using a Hilti 18 v 3aH with metal nickel hydride batteries for a long time, which has been great, but way way overpriced. I believe the Makita is a better tool than the hilti by miles.
It's not good to run the Lithium ion batteries down to flat, so the battery level indicator is also welcome addition to the Makita 458.
From experience, use the batteries as per the instructions and they will serve you well.
on 29 January 2014
The best drills i have ever owned, batteries can easily last 5 hours. The impact can blow through 200 60mm screws and keep going and the combi is excellent on power deliverance. doesn't miss a beat.
on 25 February 2015
I have been using this kit on a regular basis for over a year and it is simply the best available for timber construction on a building site.
on 7 May 2015
This was my son's favourite Christmas present without a doubt. My husband has one and they are so versatile.... he says they turn an odd jobber into a builder!
on 3 February 2014
The description was spot on and very happy with the overall service. The delivery was slightly over time specified but other than that it was great. Thanks
on 19 August 2016
Good kit. Replaced the jcb kit I couldn't get batteries for. Big upgrade. Impact screwdriver has poor low speed control so may smush screwheads for household users.