on 28 October 2012
Contrary to other reviews, the description states the following:

--------------------------------------
Please note: You are purchasing a code to download the 17 games. You will only receive a card with the code to download Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Edition. You will not receive a disc.
--------------------------------------

When I bought this from Amazon, I knew what I was getting.
I agree with the review that states that the games are supposed to work on Windows 7, but as was also pointed out, not all do. I am using Windows 8 64 bit and the games that I have played so far work, here's a list:

Command & Conquer
Command & Conquer Red Alert 2: Total Size: 1.9 GB
Command & Conquer Red Alert Yuri's Revenge
Command & Conquer Renegade: Total Size: 1.4 GB
--------------------------------------

Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun and Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun Firestorm (Total Size: 1.7 GB) don't work on Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 64 bit. The only solution that I have found is to play these 2 games using a Windows XP SP3 32 bit virtual machine. I have deducted 1 star for this. Using this approach, these 2 games work perfectly.

The games are quite large and do take time to download but fortunately Origin (the program used to download and launch these games) has a built-in download manager that resumes if the connection is lost. So no matter how slow your connection is, you will eventually download them.

For assistance with these games I would very highly recommend the Official Command and Conquer Forums ( commandandconquer.com/forums/ ) for assistance. There are many dedicated fans willing to help you. We have not yet found a solution to Tiberian Sun / Tiberian Sun Firestorm not working on Windows 7 64 bit or later but the vast majority of other issues have been resolved/worked-around.

The issue with Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun and Tiberian Sun Firestorm is that the game installs and can be launched as normal but clicking on any of the menu options e.g. to start a new game, a new skirmish, online play or to load an existing game resulting in nothing happening. It is as if you never clicked the option (the game doesn't crash for me). There a number of workarounds listed on the forums but none have yet worked for other members or me.

I would also recommend the 1.06c Revision 3 Patch from Nyerguds for Command & Conquer and Command & Conquer The Covert Operations since it fixes some crash bugs and provides a higher resolution that makes these 2 game far easier to play. Nyerguds is a member of the forums mentioned above and is extremely helpful with any issues concerning this patch. I have not experienced any issues using his patch (just don't allow Origin to update this pair of games after installing the patch since the auto-update will undo the improvements of this patch).

My advice is to set the games to download and leave them to do so. I downloaded all of the above games in about 5 hours (the download rate varied from 800 Kbps to 1 Mbps). I will download the rest one by one so as not to use up my monthly download allowance (download cap). The largest games are:

Command & Conquer Generals: Total Size: 3.0 GB
Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3: Total Size: 15.1 GB
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars: Total Size: 11.1 GB
Command & Conquer 3 Kane's Wrath
Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight: Total Size: 5.9 GB
--------------------------------------

They can each range from 6 to 11 GB in size; I have not downloaded them yet for this reason. In total the games come to approximately 43 GB (not bad for 17 games).
One final point is about the Additional Content, which varies by region, since I live in Europe, for me this contains:

--------------------------------------
Wallpapers from some of the games (Red Alert 3 and Command and Conquer Tiberian Wars and Kane's Wrath).
Video trailers of the upcoming Command and Conquer powered by Frostbite and another game, Tiberian Alliances.
--------------------------------------

If you live outside the US, this is what you will get. The music and commemorative art are not part of this package from Amazon.
You can buy the music from the Ultimate Collection separately from Amazon as MP3 files.

For the first list of 8 games above, all worked perfectly on Windows 8 64 bit without any tweaking or changes required. Command & Conquer and Command & Conquer The Covert Operations also worked perfectly on Windows 8, 64 bit but I did install the community patch mentioned above to increase the resolution of the game. This means you can see more of the game on the screen and do not need to scroll as much. The game was created in 1995 when 640x480 was all a screen could display so it's not a fault with the game, screen resolutions have simply increased over the years. The patch works with Windows 8 64 bit without any issues (but do remember to turn off CnCDraw using the patches configuration panel (CCConfig.exe, contained in the installation folder for these 2 games).

Overall I am very pleased with this collection. I did play each game as it became available over the years i.e. from 1995 onwards but it has been a long time since I have played them so am I re-living many happy memories. I would have preferred to receive many DVDs or 1, dual layer Blu Ray disc (50 GB) with all of the games on it but the download method isn't too bad.

EA / Victory Games may provide patches in the future to eliminate the small issues that I have encountered (I have now worked around them) but this is not guaranteed. My advice is to buy this collection, 17 games for £22.17 since it is excellent value. If you encounter any issues, the Command and Conquer forum members (including myself) are happy to help.

-------------------
Update: January 2015: The Command and Conquer forums that I mentioned in my review have been re-designed with none of the previous content available. You can also asking any questions that you may have on either of the following forums:

Thank you.

-------------------
The specification of the computer I have been using to play these games is as follows:

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz
16 GB DDR 3 Dual Channel RAM
EVGA Geforce GTX 580 SC (x2 in SLI mode)(Nvidia 306.97 WHQL Driver)
Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit

Updated July 2014:
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz
16 GB DDR 3 Dual Channel RAM
1x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan (836 Mhz Base, 876 Mhz Boost)(Nvidia 334.89 WHQL Driver)
Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit with Update 1

Update 13th July 2014:

I can now confirm that all of the following games also work on Windows 8.1 (with Update 1) in addition to those listed above for Windows 8.0:

Command & Conquer Red Alert 3
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
Command & Conquer 3 Kane's Wrath
Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight

No changes were necessary to have any of these games working perfectly. Tiberian Sun and Generals/Generals Zero Hour do not work on Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1 for me (even when using the suggested workarounds). I play these in a Windows XP SP3 virtual machine (not connected to the internet) using VMware Workstation 10.0.3 instead.

Enabling Windows XP compatibility mode to resolve this has been suggested by commenters to this review (many thanks for your suggestions, they are always welcome :) ). For me this did not work but if it works for you, I'm very pleased and it's an easier alternative to using a virtual machine. From what I can tell the success of compatibility settings can vary from computer to computer, for example more than 1 source (which includes EA Support) suggest enabling Vista compatibility mode to enable Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight to work on Windows 8.0 (or newer). However for me, this was not necessary to have it working perfectly on Windows 8.1 (with Update 1), while others stated it resolved their compatibility issues (I am unsure why this varies from person to person).

I hope the above update is useful, thank you.
1111 Comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 May 2017
The older titles don't work properly under any newer versions of Windows (original Command and Conquer, Red Alert 1 and 2) despite what is claimed. Depending on your system configuration, they either won't run at all or they will run with various glitches such as no sound. I still think it's good value for the remainder of what's on offer, but if you want to play the really old titles you'll need to try something else.
on 24 March 2017
This download system although taking a while to get organised ready for downloading has worked well and allows me to run them on the computer rather than rely and the CD drive. the downloads do take a while to complete and have followed what other reviewers have said and downloaded a couple at a time.
my System: Lenovo laptop running Windows 8.1
would recommend.
on 13 August 2017
Easy to install. This is a digital download for all the games and doesn't come with a disc. It is a little like steam platform except it belongs to EA Games. Everything I have installed, works perfectly on Windows 10 and a complete bargain of 17 games which comes to 46p a game.
on 27 March 2017
Arrived well packed and as advertised. Love these games so happy to have them all in my collection again. So easy to download using origen.
👍😀
on 22 May 2017
Great collection of games. I remember most of them from back in the day and have really enjoyed playing them again. So many hours of entertainment for a very reasonable price
on 29 June 2017
Allready got origin so really easy to install ive got all on separate disks but when i upgraded my os i lost them so this seemed a really easy way to get back
on 20 March 2017
Stunning value for classic old-school RTS games.

Note: most of these games are literally old-school, so do not expect cutting edge graphics.
on 13 August 2017
Fun games but most do not run on windows 10 these days and the amount of effort to try to get any of these to work is a waste! This game is not updated/maintained by EA but some community developers do have mods for the game online to make it playable.
on 5 February 2017
I can confirm zero hour / generals work on my win 10 i5 laptop. They are the only ones I have tried so far but excellent