1,388
Size: 49 mm|Change

on 19 April 2017
Very good filter.
I must admit that buying a filter is not by any means an easy feat. The range on websites such as Hoya are not by any means easily distinguishable.

Would be nice if manufacturers use a table to identify the key differences between each of the types.

Anyway, back to this Pro-1 Digital UV filter, it's very good.

I read some of the reviewers complaining about smears etc. on the filter. If you handle with care you'd be ok.

To make sure it's cleaned properly I've found its best to use a soft lint-free cleaning cloth. Microfibre cloth MAY be too harsh.

The filter screws onto Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens very easily. Unscrewing it is also very easy. Keep the protective case to hand and always put it in there if the filter were to be removed.

The Hoya 72mm Pro-1 Digital UV Screw in Filter is very good because it has:

Digital multi-coated filters to greatly reduce the appearance of lens flare and ghosting caused by reflections.

black matte aluminum satin finish almite frame which is designed to reduce reflections.

I quite like the black rimmed glass which is designed to reduce the chance of light reflecting off the edge.

The Ultra thin filter frames help to avoid vignetting (especially for super wide angle lenses - not an image sue with Primes), the thin frame is also designed to hold a lens cap easily.

In summary, the look and feel, the functionality, the ease of use, and the quality of the glass are all good.
on 27 March 2017
Bought this mainly to protect the front element of the lens. I have no idea why but the filter seems to attract dust! As soon as I take the lens cap off there is dust on the glass. I don't seem to get this with my other filters (which are Hoya). I also got a small finger mark on it putting my lens cap on but had a nightmare getting it off. I had to use lens cleaning solution to clear it.
I've had plenty of Hoya filters before and not had a problem with them. Maybe just bad luck this time or something in the quality process.
on 3 February 2017
Not much to say about this. I have a number of the Pro-1 filters and they just work. No noticeable degradation of the image and gives first line protection to several hundred pounds worth of Canon L-series glass. Recommended.
on 18 April 2015
Coating is soft and difficult to clean. I tried to breath on the filter and used microfiber cloth/ lens cleaning tissue to wipe, but it left a film of smudge on the glass. Had to using a Ziess lens/glasses wipe to clear it up. It also left a few very fine scratches on the coating. Never had this problem on my old Nikon filters.
Going to try the HD version now....
on 17 May 2017
I fitted this filter to the 12-32mm lens on my Panasonic GX80 to protect the lens. I can see no difference to the quality of the images and am pleased with the results. I am happy to recommend this filter.
on 11 March 2017
A Fabulous quality filter as well as cheaper way of protecting you expensive lens
on 13 March 2017
LOvely item and handy for lens protection so a lens cap is made redundant
on 7 April 2017
I like Hoya filters, and always use a UV as my lens cap when out and about.
These are a good compromise between price and quality (you can pay silly money for a UV filter). And they are cheaper to replace than the front element of your lens!
on 10 March 2017
Ideal filter for keeping on your lens as it helps reduce UV light effects and protects your lens from dust/scratches too - up to a point!
on 4 January 2010
Quality filter at a great price, less than half what I would have paid at my local dealers
what more can I say, top gear, top value, it doesn't get any better!!