on 27 June 2017
The days of film, which was very sensitive to UV light, may be a thing of the past for me as the sensors in my modern digital cameras are generally insensitive to UV. However, this is a clear, thin, strong filter that will protect my valuable lense from scratches and from impact damage. I've tried other manufacturers' protector filters but have come back to Hoya Pro-1 every time. They are more expensive but, like so many things in life, you get what you pay for.
12 people found this helpful
on 19 April 2017
Very good filter.
I must admit that buying a filter is not by any means an easy feat. The range on websites such as Hoya are not by any means easily distinguishable.

Would be nice if manufacturers use a table to identify the key differences between each of the types.

Anyway, back to this Pro-1 Digital UV filter, it's very good.

I read some of the reviewers complaining about smears etc. on the filter. If you handle with care you'd be ok.

To make sure it's cleaned properly I've found its best to use a soft lint-free cleaning cloth. Microfibre cloth MAY be too harsh.

The filter screws onto Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens very easily. Unscrewing it is also very easy. Keep the protective case to hand and always put it in there if the filter were to be removed.

The Hoya 72mm Pro-1 Digital UV Screw in Filter is very good because it has:

Digital multi-coated filters to greatly reduce the appearance of lens flare and ghosting caused by reflections.

black matte aluminum satin finish almite frame which is designed to reduce reflections.

I quite like the black rimmed glass which is designed to reduce the chance of light reflecting off the edge.

The Ultra thin filter frames help to avoid vignetting (especially for super wide angle lenses - not an image sue with Primes), the thin frame is also designed to hold a lens cap easily.

In summary, the look and feel, the functionality, the ease of use, and the quality of the glass are all good.
8 people found this helpful
on 20 November 2017
The usual high quality expected from Hoya. This item fits well and offers the necessary protection for your lens. Decent thread and easy to screw on and off. Personally, I'll leave this on for the life of the lens and I can trust it to remain effective for as long as I need it to (so long as I don't scratch it!)
4 people found this helpful
on 1 October 2017
I'll be honest: I trust Hoya. They've been around for years and I've never had any problems with their equipment.

This is another example of a nice Hoya product. Simple, metal ring filter, and nice and thin to miminise the risk of vignetting. I keep a filter on the front of all my lenses and when the DSLR fell on concrete some months ago (despite being in a bag - which is another story) the filter took most of the impact, such that it smashed the glass in the filter rather than the glass in the lens. Plus it keeps dust off the optics of the actual lens.

I believe the "Pro-1 Digital" bit is supposed to have additional coatings to minimise reflections. I've never compared it to 'ordinary' Hoya filters so I can't say how much difference it makes. If you're shooting straight into bright light you will inevitably get some flare, but I can't normally tell there's a filter on the front. And at the £10-15 price, you might as well get the Pro-1 anyway!
2 people found this helpful
on 5 March 2018
My previous hoya filter has become a little scratched (and thus served its purpose) so I was excited to get a shiny clean new filter. However it came out of the case a little dusty, when I tried to remove this dust the surface seems a little 'sticky' compared to other filters I've had. Which I believe doesn't help with the dust problem I now have. Tried to clean with a lens wipe, now smeary and can't seem to remove the smears. I don't think the external coating and quality on this is very good compared to previous filters. Considering returning but now not sure what else to get.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 2 September 2012
It works well as a protector for your lens. Build and glass quality seems good. I couldn't really quantify the difference between this and a cheaper filter in terms of quality and reflection reduction from the multicoating, but I couldn't notice any change in the image.

The pack I received had a plastic corner (from the 2 C-shaped edges surrounding the lens) that was broken and loose inside the pack - luckily it was moving on the outside of the filter, so the glass was not affected. However it makes me wonder how could it break like that. The pack was perfectly intact from the outside.

The filter is also not as thin as it appears from the photo. Actually, the photo appears quite deceiving, I think it's a photo of the filter with a larger diameter (with the number in mm cancelled in the photo) which makes it look thinner (all filter sizes having the same width). The width of this filter is just the same as a standard Hoya UV 46mm that I had on my previous camera (that's around 4mm excluding the threading), so I'm not quite sure how is this supposed to be thinner. I'm putting my own photo so that you can see how it actually looks like.

Also, beware of fakes! Mine was genuine, but there are loads of fake Hoya around. Check the package (I found it difficult to find the photos of the official packages - I'm putting up my own then).
review imagereview imagereview image
5 people found this helpful
on 15 May 2018
Hoya is a well known name in the filter world, has a good reputation and you gets what you pays for. A UV filter can demand a payment of over £80 ($130) if you demand top quality, but most of us use such a filter as a lens protector primarily. The ring of this filter is sturdy and will retain its ability to be an easy fit, as it resists distortion. Its performance is average. It will keep your lens safe from a frontal attack. Many of us fit and forget this accessory..
on 5 July 2014
There are two schools of thought about UV filters. One is that you're spending a considerable amount of money on a lens and camera, so why are you putting a cheaper third party piece of glass in front of it? Isn't that by definition going to reduce the quality of your lens? Against that there's the argument that it protects the front (most exposed) piece of glass, and can reduce the amount of UV light hitting the sensor (which the first group argues isn't a problem, because the sensors are designed to deal with these days).

There are merits in both arguments. If you were to try and navigate a path between these opposing views, you'd buy the best UV filter you could for your money (which usually means going expensive).

The Hoya filters are comparatively expensive but, to my eye at least, have little impact on focusing time and reduced image quality.
3 people found this helpful
on 21 May 2014
Some people may find filters unnecessary for their camera lenses, hence letting them get exposed to literally floating dust particles, water splashes, strong sunlight and even subject to the risk of dropping them and breaking it in their day to day activities. This proves them wrong, the filter does not only saves you money for purchasing a new lens, it also offers adequate amounts of solid protection and reduces hazes/flares when taking outdoor photography.

The Hoya 67mm Pro-1 UV Filter is made with an aluminium frame and durable heavy glass on the lens area. The overall frame is constructed with good quality and feels solid on the hands so it is definitely suitable to act as a lens protector. The mounting is also surprisingly easy and smooth with its screw thread integration on the sides of the filter, so don't worry about it scratching the camera or lenses, it won't. Primarily the Pro-1 UV Filter acts as prevention layer for the lenses when taking photos outdoors, you can simply attach it to the camera lens and store it inside the camera bag without worrying about damaging the lens. So whenever you see a good opportunity for a photo shoot, all you need to do is take out the camera, turn it on and in one click of a button, voila! This also saves camera users the hassle of having to clean a completely exposed lens periodically while being extremely careful not to scratch the delicate inner surface of the lens in the process. You can also equip a lens hood (i.e. DWL HB-32) to the lens in addition to the uv filter so it offers more protection against physical impact and helps limit the amount of light being exposed during the photo shooting process. Overall the Hoya 67mm Pro-1 UV Filter is well worth its money with its price and protection for lenses, definitely recommend to buy +++++
2 people found this helpful
on 30 October 2017
I love the Hoya screw filters. I use them as a method to keep the lens clean even though there are some reports that they cause problems. I would still prefer a clean lens that does not get damaged when cleaned
One person found this helpful