Customer reviews

Veneer [VINYL]
Format: Vinyl|Change

on 20 June 2017
Beautiful album perfect for warm summer evenings. Exquisite guitar.
on 18 July 2017
Good stuff...
on 3 September 2017
I bought this for the track advertising the Sony Brava TV! How sad is that?? I love it, good to chill out to.
on 17 May 2017
Great LP that sounds amazing.
on 4 April 2017
Great album
on 10 April 2017
Great product, would definitely buy again
on 7 October 2017
Decided to buy this after hearing JG tracks on SLOWM?Not disappointed. Chilled tracks, great voice.
on 16 January 2011
I'm a part time guitar player and a singer songwriter. Although I didn't buy this for myself, it was an Xmas present and I had the opportunity to listen to it a few times. I thought I'd love this. I did love a couple of the tracks. But many left me somewhat cold. It's not the playing, which is precise and well conceived. More the monotony, the quality of the singing, and the somewhat distant emotional vibe. There's a certain woodenness. And the songs kept themselves at a distance. Worth a listen in my opinion but not an enduring CD for my music collection.
on 14 December 2005
Having an eclectic taste in music ranging from Dylan to Cypress Hill through Madonna and Eminem, I must admit in buying the album solely on the strength of Heartbeats on the Sony TV advert. What a great decision. Proving that to make great music you don't need image consultants, hair stylists, 11 layers of vocals and Pharrel Williams, Jose provides the album of the year (alongside the debut efforts of Arcade Fire and Bloc Party) with simply a guitar and his haunting yet pure voice.
Without a weak link in the chain of songs, this relaxing, thoughtful treat for the ears takes the guitar skill of John Williams, the song writing of early Dylan, but removes all hardline edges. His introspective lyrics marries a wonderfully honest singing style to create a beautiful, soulful sound that boy band ballad "singers" can only dream of.
11 Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2006
I like many others came across Jose Gonzalez from hearing "heartbeats" on the award winning Sony Tv advert. I bought Veneer predicting that I was being swept along by an incredible piece of artistic television magic and that I would be disappointed by the rest of the album.
If you feel like this and are in doubt let me reassure you this album is special. If you like guitar and beautiful singing or just appreciate soulful original music then do yourself a favour and buy it, listen to it then listen to it again. When you are finished listen to it again. Its that good.
I fear that people will soon do a James Blunt and buy veneer to keep their music collection trendy without truly appreciating how moving songs such as "lovestain" and "deadweight on velveteen" really are. Shame.