on 4 October 2012
Came across this new series whilst searching through for promising Kindle books. I have tried both traditional paper books and the ebook versions and find having the ebook version alongside my MacBook on my iPad makes for a better reading experience than trying to stop a paper book's pages from turning when not required!

Anyway, to the book. I like the way Kevin McNeish, the author, takes nothing for granted and truly writes for beginners, which is exactly what I am. He explains everything in sufficient detail and doesn't make the mistake some books, supposedly for beginners, make in assuming the reader has come from another programming language.

The topics covered in the first book are enough to get the reader interested and, dare I say, excited enough to want more. I could hardly wait after completing this book to go and purchase the second book in the series Book 2: Flying with Objective C - iOS App Development for Non-Programmers (The Series on How to Write iPhone & iPad Apps), so I did!

And, no, despite the fact I share a Scottish surname with the author, I am not related or associated in anyway.
on 18 February 2014
I found this book very helpful in giving me confidence to design an app. Clearly, the difficult bit will come in book 2: learning to code. However, it's also evident that you need to do the design work first, before investing time and energy in writing the underlying code, so this was a great way to get started. Just occasionally, I got frustrated, like the moment where I was told to delete a few lines of code without being told why. I feel I'd learn better if I knew what I was doing. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to get a feel for how to get started with iOS7.
on 16 January 2014
The book should be called - "How To Make A Prototype iOS Using Xcode" as you don't really dive in iOS7 at all.

You basically make a simple prototype app with static content.

However it is useful to get to know your way around Xcode, which is confusing for a first timer, and you can see the options available to you, which is good.

I followed the book and made the "app" in a couple of hours. Now looking forward to reading the 2nd book in the series to see if i can actually make something work....
on 14 November 2012
Interesting read and lays the basics for iOs development. No just have to get all the tools(and a Mac). Fun times ahead.
on 18 February 2014
well written in a style that i could understand process straight away.
full of illustrations good video back up. good for those who have limited program knowledge
on 5 January 2014
Perfect starting out book with clear guide for getting going (even down to downloading xcode etc). Highly recommended for those with no previous experience.
on 23 June 2013
Bought this not long ago and it makes compulsive reading for a non-programmer who deludedly thinks that hé can do it too.
Upon reading the second book in the series, it's then you realise that you are only scratching the surface of an exponentially increasing field in constant evolution. When references are made to versions of programmes and opérating systems which supersede one another I realised that if I was clever I would be able to keep up.Thanks for the réality check! Book 3 in the series is only available with Kindle ! Boooooo!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2016
This is as gentle an introduction to iOS app development as you are going to find anywhere (I tried a lot of other books including the "Dummies" and "Big Nerd Ranch" ones) but you will need the following book in the series (Book 2: Flying With Objective-C - iOS App Development for Non-Programmers) to really go in to app development in depth.
on 20 January 2014
I have just finished this book, and by the end did have a glimmer of confidence that I might able to one day write an app - having been pretty despondent before. Its very easy to follow and the book is carefully laid out and everything is described fully. I'm just about to move on to the 2nd book in the series now. Very good!
on 11 October 2013
Im a total newbie to the world of programming and was dubious about how much I could learn from this book. Fortunately the book is terrific for beginners and was a breeze to get through. On to the next book now "Flying with Objective C".......