Bloodstorm [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 30 December 2012
Earlier this year, I saw the trailer for Nazis at the Center of the Earth and despite the lame title, the trailer for this film piqued my interest and I kept a casual lookout for the its UK release. I failed to notice the film's UK release in August 2012 when it was unleashed on British audiences as Bloodstorm, no doubt as a ploy to draw in those looking for the tremendous Nazi zombie flick, Dead Snow.

At this point, it's worth mentioning that the DVD cover also bears a striking resemblance to the imagery on the front of the Dead Snow sleeve. This comes as no surprise really since the studio behind Bloodstorm is the notorious Asylum, responsible for such "mockbusters" as Transmorphers, The Day the Earth Stopped, Paranormal Entity; and direct to DVD chum such as Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus and 2 Headed Shark Attack.

Boils and ghouls, I make no secret of the fact that despite being from the infamous Asylum, I watched the trailer and found myself wanting to see this! I should have left it well alone...
***SPOILER ALERT!!!***
The film opens in the closing stages of World War II with the man known as the "Angel of Death" Josef Mengele attempting to evade the enemy and although accompanied by German troops, single-handedly takes out an American tank with a rocket launcher and despatching a squad of US soldiers with only his Luger pistol.
We're then brought to present-day and an Antarctic scientific research station where we are introduced to the characters and some known actors such as Jake Busey and Dominique Swain. Things kick off fairly promptly with nazis in gasmasks abducting some of the team as they conduct an experiment, leading the remaining scientists to send out a search party. Thereinafter we are treated to an abseiling scene that has been plucked straight out of the Batman TV series of the 1960s. Yep, that's right, camera held at an angle and have the actors, well, act like they're rapelling down the ice. I should've switched off there and then but I knew this was going to be low-budget and so, I carried on.
From here, we go deep inside the Nazi base and one of the captured scientists is "operated" on by Dr Mengele who removes the scientist's face. This was probably the highlight for the practical effects in this film but that's not saying much at all. Such a scene should've had me at least squirm a little but no, nothing. The nazis have been surviving for so long by harvesting bodyparts (at the South Pole?!) and grafting them on to their decaying bodies, courtesy of the expertise of Dr Mengele. Subsequently, we see the same face stitched on to one of the Nazi henchmen and made to look as if it was dead flesh. By dead flesh, I mean it looked like someone had moulded yellow plasticine and heavy mascara on to the actor's face. Not impressive at all.

Unfortunately, this wasn't as bad as the film got. I had expected the film to be heavily reliant on CGI after watching the trailer but I couldn't fathom why the villains of the piece were feeding cerebral fluid into what looked like an industrial coffeemaker from the 1920s. All was revealed when what I thought was a Nazi Brain Juice Machine morphed into a cartoonish CGI endoskeleton with none other than Adolf Hitler's head in a jar, atop what looked like a hybrid of a low-rent Iron Man with the armaments of ED-209. I had deja vu when it came to this Hitlerbot and couldn't quite place why. Then, during one scene, it struck me... those of a certain age will remember a game from 20 or so years ago called Wolfenstein and the final boss, Mecha-Hitler. Yep, The Asylum have ripped off my childhood. Not cool!

I had to see this through to the end and the thin plot is fairly transparent with some mild shocks, a bit of gratuitous nudity and a degree of gore. Perhaps the best part of Bloodstorm was the fact that the historical basis for the nazis having a base on Antarctica had been well-researched, myths and legends surrounding them creating flying saucer like machines had been explored and the fact that Mengele had died in South America in 1979 had been explained away. On another positive note, Christopher Karl Johnson's turn as Josef Mengele is pitch perfect. Suitably sinister and full of menace. However, the backstory and Johnson's performance were certainly no saving grace for this disaster of a film. I appreciate that there are horror fans out there who enjoy The Asylum's offerings, stating that "They're so bad that they're good!" I for one, certainly don't follow that school of thought and invite you to avoid this film. You've been warned!
10 people found this helpful
on 18 September 2014
Truly appalling movie. I like low budget movies and can live with poor acting to a point and yes this dvd is truly cheap. However there is not one part of this film worth watching – the “special” effects are utterly bad – if you can’t afford decent CGI then don’t show the shot on screen – don’t show a bad CGI of a tank that laughable. Don’t put a lump of plasticene on an actors face and pretend that its “a face transplant gone wrong”. The acting is so bad you keep wanting the cast to get killed of faster so the film will end.

Even at this price it’s a waste of your life watching it – pse don’t make my mistake and go and buy it...and if you do don't waste any oxygen watching it
3 people found this helpful
on 21 November 2013
Damn this is the most AWFUL film ive seen in 25 years as a movie fan, though let me say i found it rather watchable because it was just so bad. The acting was DREADFUL, to the point of embarrasment, but the worse part was the special effects. The robo hitler (you read that right) was laughable, the tanks looked wrong and they even used poor cgi for long shots of the actors. Garbage from start to finish
3 people found this helpful
on 3 February 2015
This is atrocious. Fails across the board. Plot is absurd and the acting is dreadful but perhaps the worst thing about it is the cheap special effects - including CGI wide shots of a robo Hitler. Yes, you read that right. I am all in favour of a film being so bad it's good, but this wasn't even fun to ridicule. How Amazon are currently charging £10 is beyond me and surely borders on an infringement of the trade descriptions act in some way. I'd avoid like the plague if I were you.
2 people found this helpful
on 6 September 2017
a good film it has a story that has a beginning middle and end some of the special effects are a bit dodgy
but all in all a good film
on 23 August 2012
i rented this from lovefilm and it's probably the worse acting i have ever seen - it is so appalling i laughed out loud - hitler, of course, makes an appearance as a cross between a transformer and robocop ! THERE MUST BE SOMETHING ELSE YOU CAN WASTE YOUR MONEY ON - watch it on tv for laughs
4 people found this helpful
on 5 March 2013
This DVD was a gift for me, which makes a change; and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It's a good yarn. If you like your modern day Zombie horror movies, with blood and gore, and with a twist, then this movie is for you! Explorers find Nazi's at the centre of the earth, great story line. This movie is a cross between Journey to the centre of the Earth and Outpost.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 14 May 2017
unfortunately the film was not of the same high quality as the service lol
on 16 September 2013
My only problem with the film, was visual effects which found too much to bear. It should have been shot on location, in regards to arctic conditions, instead of on a soundstage. I give it 6/10 for the film and 6/10 for DVD content.
on 27 June 2015
Rubbish film,worst film ever.
One person found this helpful