Customer reviews

Please Don't Say You Love Me
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£1.59

on 12 February 2013
I only wanted Please Don't Say You Love Me, but seeing as the EP was the same price as just the one song I decided to buy four songs for the price of one.

As Please Don't Say You Love Me was the whole reason I bought the EP it is my favourite: a bitter-sweet song about the highs and lows of loving someone. I believe it will be the next song to be realised off of her upcoming album released in April.

Stranger Side has an almost country twang to it musically, and Rings Round Roses is a little play on the children's song Ring-a-ring O' Roses so lyrically it as a pleasant familiarity to it.

Although the piano version of Please Don't Say you Love Me is a repetition of the 1st song it is just Gabrielle's voice and piano and nothing else. It's more melancholy than the 1st, which is more upbeat. It's remarkable how different the two versions sound, the first definitely feels more uplifting and showcases the highs of love much more clearly, whereas the second is slower and feels like it's more about the lows of loving someone. Its melancholic tone speaks to the heart and illustrates the raw emotion in a similar way to Adele's Someone Like You, only not quite so well executed or powerful.

All in all it is a very sweet little EP and Gabrielle's breathy voice is very pleasant and relaxing.
4 people found this helpful
on 9 May 2013
The Xmas cover was ok, but when you discover Gabrielle's other work, you find the real talent. Wonderful and varied tunes, lyrics that most of us will relate to and sing along with a sound that is familiar but at the same time unique!

Try Gabrielle's other work as well - you won't be disappointed.
on 3 April 2013
I love the songs and the voice adn the music. I want to hear more and as soon as I can find more I will buy it. Everything for me about it tells a tale.
on 2 August 2014
Wiltshire girl! Her career has really taken off!
on 6 April 2013
I Got This At A Reduced Price And It Is A Very Good MP3 Single Release, Awaiting Her Album Release As I Now Have A Few Of Her Single Releases All Of Which Are Great Value For Money
One person found this helpful
on 26 February 2013
Fantastic value for 3 such great songs. So glad I discovered Gabrielle at Boardmasters festival. Can't wait for the upcoming album now.
on 31 May 2013
I was lucky enough to see this lovely lady live and she was fantastic. So I bought the album shortly after and it's great.
on 17 March 2013
Price is right - can't beat 89p for an EP. Songs are good but mp3 is rubbish quality. I'll be buying the CD.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 May 2013
I can't honestly say that Gabrielle Aplin is the kind of artist I would usually listen to. I tend not to follow what's in the charts but I happened to be sent a link to Please Don't Say You Love Me by a friend and immediately fell in love with it.

Gabrielle Aplin sets herself apart from the usual chart fodder with beautiful melodies complimented by clever lyrics. While she does write a lot of love songs, the lyrics go beyond the typical "boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, stuff goes wrong, girl is sad".

It has to be said though that her voice is not incredible. In fact it's decidedly average. The real interest is not in her singing but in the music and the words.

The title track of this EP (or is it a single?) is a little downbeat but very moving. The words tell an intriquing love story full of wonderful little poetic phrases such as "Heavy words are hard to take, Under pressure precious things can break. How we feel is hard to fake, So let's not give the game away". Granted she's no Shakespeare but it's good enough for me.

Stranger Side is a little more vague and a lot more upbeat. With a happier tone, Gabrielle Aplin seems to explore life, love and everything as shared with a friend (or lover?) who sees things as she does. This song also features such bizarre lyrics as "Step across a line with an open mind and let go". Another cleverly written and highly enjoyable song.

In terms of mood, Rings Round Roses lies somewhere in between the last two tracks. Again, it's not clear what it's about. My interpretation is that she's urging people to enjoy life as it happens. The words in this song definitely border on poetry. They have a very endearing innocence about them as well which makes it a pleasure to listen to compared with some other songs I could mention.

Usually I wouldn't mention bonus tracks but the Piano Version of Please Don't Say You Love Me is stunning. Stripped right back to just Gabrielle Aplin and the piano, the song takes on a whole new heartbreaking feeling. If anything, I think this is actually an improvement on the original and she does sing very well on this track.

To anyone who enjoyed these songs, I would strongly recommend her Home ep which is even better.
3 people found this helpful
on 9 May 2013
Just heard Panic Cord performed on BBC 1 Breakfast show which is the first track on her new album being released on 13th May 2013. If this song is anything to go by this young artist has nothing to worry about. A really nice pure voice and a real alternative to many other music styles. It's what you need to wind down from the working week. Well done Gabrielle looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.