Fall To Grace
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 May 2012
I was really looking forward to this new Paloma Faith album. Sadly, however, on my first listen I was filled with disappointment. The album is, in my opinion, cliched, repetitive and boring. The songs seem generic like a hundred other things I've heard before. The whole thing is uninspiring and lacking the instant charm and appeal of Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful, which is actually one of my favourite albums. Perhaps it seems somewhat unfair to write this review when I've only listened to the album once as some music takes time to grow on the listener. The fact is though that I really wouldn't want this to grow on me. It would be like a horrible fungal infection rotting my brain. I think Paloma gave in to the pressures of the record company and delivered the "product" they guided her into making.

"Agony" started out okay but the chorus sounded like a partial rip off from a Blondie song. A few of the other songs sounded as if they could have been something good if she'd been allowed to take them in a slightly different direction. I think she was reigned in and the whole thing is overly controlled and superficial. Even her vocals lack the character and quality of the previous album. Her writing partners are probably largely to blame for this.

Sorry for being a voice of dissent but "Fall To Grace" isn't for me. The only positive is the album artwork, which is quite beautiful.
77 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 May 2012
I almost couldn't believe it when I put it in my CD player... and I'd been looking forward to it for so long! The vocals are the same - soulful and expressive and as magnificent as I'd expected, having adored her first album, but that's where the positive comparisons end. Oh, if only I could just get my hands on her production team... they must be the least imaginative bunch of sods imaginable, having managed to make PALOMA FAITH of all people, sound... if I'm honest, boring. The songs themselves, bar perhaps Let It Be and Picking Up the Pieces, tend to towards the horribly generic in every sense, with hideously lack-luster accompaniment and the most monotonous of drum beats. Even those two, which clearly show potential (listen to the acoustic versions of both), are let down with dragging, derivative backing tracks that mean I skipped through both on the second listen. It's as though someone has listened to her sing... and then purposefully found the most cliché method of production they could, with the minimal effort possible. I don't get it. Florence's latest album seems to have gone the same way, with the sparkle that drew us in being sapped by whoever's obviously attempting to pump them onto the chart scene. Urgh. I better stop now, since I'm running out of synonyms for 'dull', but I sincerely hope that Miss Faith rediscovers whatever it was which gave us the magic of her debue, and quickly. If there's any time the charts needed that same breath of fresh air, it's now.
66 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 August 2012
What a disappointing depressive long awaited 2nd album. What are you thinking Paloma? great talent wasted trying to be someone else like Adele ? Im sorry I bought this album, no wander its cheap. (PS - do not buy if depressed as it may send you over the edge !!!!)
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 June 2012
Ive waited till now to write a review for this cd,as I wanted to give it a fair chance.Its so different from Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful,that I didnt quite know what to make of it.I was instantly struck by 30 Minute Love Affair and When Youre Gone,but the rest of the tracks didnt resonate with me,at least not first time around.Ive listened to it half a dozen time now,and its taken until now for me to get into it,and Im so glad I didnt judge it on that initial listen,because there is a lot on offer here.Paloma's voice is as rich and strong ever,and really does suit the soaring lyrics on most of the songs,and really does them justice.Where the first album grabbed you instantly,this ones grip is more subtle,the music wraps itself around more slowly.But the end result,in my oppinion,is just as good,but in a very different way.

I can see where some who loved Do You Want The Truth may not ever get into Fall To Grace,and I can even understand why,there is a big difference between them.Just dont be too hasty to judge,give it a chance and give it time,Im so glad I did.If you dont like it then,fair enough,it would be a boring world if we all like the same thing.But give its charms and magic chance to fully work.
22 Comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 February 2013
Well after being a cheapskate fan for a year or two - free vids from Youtube etc and being repeatedly impressed by her (luckily) more and more frequent TV appearances I bought 2 tickets for her night in Cardiff 6/2/13 - at the Motorpoint venue. Bloody hell best £40 I ever spent.

Now I don't often buy tickets for anything - I've never had posters on my walls or any of that tribal crap but usually like heavy guitar/rock stuff Black Sabbath Joe Satriani, Clapton, Steve Vai, Hendrix and some quirky stuff - Captain Beefheart etc but I judge each track on it's own merits. I can't be bothered never wished to associate myself to anyone or thing unconditionally as they just aren't consistent or to be honest good enough to justify that including Religion/politicians etc. The sheer talent and originality of Paloma Faith demands further scrutiny though.

I had noticed this girl is something different - she seems to have intelligence and incredible insight & talent on several fronts as well as having a genuinely original warm & quirky personality. I loved her between number stories and jokes and it certainly was a "theatre experience" as Paloma put it. She was very polite as well which was great to see (when I compare to my "Bad Manners" concert of the 80's and Buster Bloodvessel's bare rear while Cardiff and Swansea boot boys kicked seven shades of ***t out of each other and Ozzy's and other performers language and laddishness guff). Music was great though - at the Sabbath gig.

Her Youtube vids have had me in stitches many times as well...

I was familiar with most of her first brilliant album "Do you want the truth or something beautiful?"
Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful?
my two favourites being "Upside down" and "New York" - "Stone Cold Sober" up there too - but was dumbfounded by her energetic 100% perfect performance of these tracks as well as "30 minute love affair" and "Just Be" on the night (which I dedicated to my wife for Valentine's day - thanks for putting my thoughts into words Paloma). As well as her vocal expertise we were treated to some piano dancing and some beautiful movement - as she is I believe (as she reminded us)a performance artist not just a singer/songwriter (she flopped to the floor after "stone cold" I believe. No wonder it looked exhausting)! Too cute for words.

In short I bought the F T Grace CD and haven't found a note I dislike yet - particular favourites are 30 minute love affair, Black and Blue, When You're Gone, Picking Up The Pieces and Agony - a bit slow and dark but clever once again. For good measure I dusted off my credit card and picked up PF's first album and Ray Davies' "See my freinds"
See My Friends
which features you guessed it an excellent version of "Lola" with Miss P Faith as well Metallica playing on "You really got me". Ray's voice on these and "Waterloo sunset" take me back to Halcyon carefree 60's and 70's days before this country lurched to the right and a million dreams of fairness and real progressive societial change were smashed. "Days" is another excellent track as well as "Dead End Street" with Amy Macdonald. I have a feeling that Paloma could have slotted into any of those with ease though so I hope she considers showing her versatility by performing other artist tracks and maybe some Jazz which I know she loves (hence regular spots with Jools Holland)

Fall To Grace is an excellent album - no duff tracks for me (usually 2-3 on any album of anyone else)- just how does someone so young get to be this clever and insightful as this? She's a feisty little multi-talented genius.

Keep it up Paloma - done my bit for keeping you funded for future songs and appearances (sorry for my usual cynical delay).... If you like spirited original sharp witted songs with excellent arrangements I can recommend this album wholeheartedly - listened to it 3 times this PM while decorating - can't wait to slot it on in tomorrow's shift!! Andy
on 29 May 2012
I've had this on pre-order for months and when it turned up yesterday to my horror I spent much of the time listening to it hoping it would finish soon. I nearly didn't finish it at all. All the wonderful charm and distinctiveness of the first album is gone, replaced with sadly samey songs, with samey arrangements (with a weird thumpy backing thing going on in most of them). She used to sound different from all the other female singers out there, but this album just slots into the prevailing pattern. You wouldn't distinguish it from dozens of others. I can't honestly remember any of the individual songs, as they all sounded pretty much the same. I'm sad because I think Paloma is great, and it's like losing a friend.
22 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 June 2012
Back in 2010, Paloma Faith burst onto the scene. She released a joyful, playful debut album which spawned several top 20 singles (see my review). Now in 2012, I feel we are introduced to Faiths alter-ego, a more mature and thoughtful side. The opening single picking up the pieces is already in the top 10, but can we expect more successful singles?

Yes. This album is smart and sophisticated. Picking up the pieces is a tremendous opener o an album, full of grace and glamour. 30 minute love affair is more electro pop than what we are used to, but because it is Paloma, she pulls it off well. It is the same for Black & Blue. Then we come to one of the saddest songs I have heard. Just Be. This song sounds great live as well. From there on the quality gets a little worse, but it is only a matter of time before she finds her feet. I think that Agony or Freedom will be the next single.

All in all, don't listen to the bad reviews. This album will make you smile and cry at the same time. One of the albums of the year!
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 February 2015
I managed to miss Paloma Faith when her first album came around, but having been impressed by what I heard from her on the soundtrack to the film "4, 3, 2, 1", I was determined not to do the same the second time around. In the interim, Faith has been a BRIT Award nominee and a coach on "The Voice", which suggests she's pretty highly thought of in the industry. The second album took a while coming around, but when it finally did it turned out to be a No. 2 charting album and produced her highest charting single, so it had to be worth a look.

Despite some decent moments, I find myself largely underwhelmed by the album as a whole. There are several changes of direction which make it difficult to listen to in a single sitting and even the best parts of the album offer nothing particularly distinctive that isn't available elsewhere. It's not a bad album in whole or in part, but there's nothing that makes it stand out above anything else, especially as parts sound a lot like Adele who, like Paloma Faith, has a great voice, but who had the advantage of getting there first.

But this is an album that has a few stand out tracks and rather a lot of generic filler and so better value can be had by simply downloading the best few songs and ignoring the rest.

This review may also appear, in whole or in part, under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 June 2012
OK, we all know about "that difficult second album" syndrome and following up her stunning debut album was never going to be easy. So how has the hugely loveable and talented Ms Faith done? Well, Fall To Grace does have it's moments but generally I was disappointed that there seem to be so few songs of the quality of any on the first album and I found myself only reluctantly hitting the play button to listen to it for a second time.

That being said, I have persevered with the hope that it will grow on me but I found myself missing the bouncy fun element of songs like "Upside Down" (which to me typify Paloma's quirky and fun personality) or the class of songs like "Do you want the truth..." or "New York". Instead, I found these new songs lacking enthusiasm or great hooks. Lyrically, they were also a bit clunky in places and there seemed to be a move away from the maturity and class of the first album towards more pop/dance beats that left you feeling like you'd heard this all before (in some cases 20 years ago, like with the funky drummer beats on "Freedom"). It's ironic really as I think they may have been trying to update her sound to fit somewhere in today's "R&B lite" littered pop charts.

That being said, Paloma's voice is in fine form on this album and her vocals definitely seem to have moved up to a new level in terms of depth and range.

Lastly, I don't want to sound like this is a terrible album, because it really is not that bad. The second half of the album is better for me than the first half but it's just not something I can see myself keeping in my cd changer for the long haul. Maybe album 3 will be a "Phoenix to the Ashes" (I'll copywrite the title just in case...), who knows. :-)
on 4 June 2012
I've just listened to the album for the second time - as soon as it finished first time round, it was straight back to listen to the start to listen to her voice.

And what a voice - so powerful and full of emotion and expression!

But what of the album? Well, if I were to give an initial rating, I would give it 3 stars, 4 at a push. This is exactly how I would have rated her first album had I written a review for it then. However, I also know that Paloma's music has a "growing" effect on me. First time I heard Picking Up the Pieces on the radio, I thought "meh". Today, I love it. So instead of rating it on what I think of it now, I'm rating it with how I'm certain I will feel about the music by the end of the week.

As with her first album, this is full of angst and sorrow, but sung so sweetly. For example, the song Just Be washes over you like fresh linen as you are hushed to sleep.

I think my only gripe I have with this album is the song Black and Blue. It's not Paloma's fault though; she is singing about all manner of serious issues that people are facing - eviction, gambling addiction, and other matters. The problem is that having heard Ralph McTell's powerful song Streets of London, everything other song of its type pales in comparison. I can't think of anyone else who could compose a song like that and do it justice, although The Specials and their Ghost Town does come close.

But that gripe aside, the long overdue second album of Paloma was well worth the wait, and hopefully it will give her the success she so rightfully deserves.