on 29 January 2017
This book is extremely thought-provoking and heartbreaking in many ways. It reveals the serious issues surrounding gender violence, e.g., forced marriage, rape and domestic abuse; I felt extremely empathic towards the survivor of this horrific trauma she is truly inspiration to all women, especially those that have experienced this trauma. She is a living embodiment of an survivor of gender violence. Overall, I would advise people to read this book but please be aware it deals with serious themes, that may be disturbing for some individuals. Yet, again it's worth the read.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 December 2015
I felt this book could have been really good but for the person who wrote it. I feel there was no emotion in the book simply because she was telling someone else's story. I think if the victim had penned this book it would have been much better because we would have heard how she felt from her own mouth. It's not the authors fault. She could not possibly know how the victim felt meaning she wrote it as a piece. The author is an excellent writer, that shines through, just not so good at writing other people's stories. Sorry
on 20 April 2014
This is very corny and difficult to believe mainly because of the way it is written, reminiscent of tabloid journalism. It is very repetitive and because it is not written by the person who experienced the events, it just doesn't ring true. For example we know straight away something awful is going to happen to Lassie because of the way his love for Nuala ( ridiculous name) is mentioned again and again.

It is really terrible what happened to her and her father and husband were truly evil, but she never took the options open to her to escape, instead stating what she intended to do (jump out of the window/ take an overdose etc) to the very people she should have been wary of.
on 24 July 2016
Really easy to read book and I enjoyed every page of it. The book is about a 16 year old girl sold as a bride to an elderly man by her father. The book made me feel sad, angry, emotional, happy - I lived every moment of the book. I love these sort of books and it made a good holiday read for me. Highly recommended.
One person found this helpful
on 23 October 2014
Prepare to have your heart broken and to wonder how 2 men could possibly stoop so low for the sake of money and sex! Then cheer and marvel at the bravery of a little Irish girl to withstand the utterly degrading brutality and finally escape to freedom. I wish the very best of luck and love to this lady and hope that she does finally find the peace she craves. I fully understand her inability to forgive. I myself survived 30years in an abusive marriage and I also cannot find it in me to do so either. My heart cries with you.
on 11 November 2014
This is the true story of a young girls nightmare and horror that one would expect not even to read in the fiction section. The abuse this child and young woman lived with not just day by day but hour by hour. The constant fear she lived in would have made someone go insane. The strength this young girl had was and is beyond what some could imagine. I will not tell the story in this review as it is told with simplicity in an easy to read format. Although what you read is hard to take in. A must read that is why I have given it 5 stars.
on 2 December 2017
Can't understand how anybody would stay in a situation like that. The story just seemed a little bit unbelievable to me as I would run a mile and live in a field rather than live like that.
on 21 October 2016
What an awful life this woman had! And what a disgusting pervert the husband was, it bewildered me to think how a father could treat his daughter like that, he really did get a kick out of hurting his own daughter. I'm glad she came through it all, although not unscathed.
on 1 September 2014
This is not my usual choice of book but actually found this to be a worthy choice. As is often the case, the true stories sometimes beggar belief and this one certainly does. For a child to be sold by her own father into a loveless marriage and subsequent abuse is heart wrenching to say the least but the victim's strength and courage eventually leads her to find her own inner peace.
One person found this helpful
on 2 October 2015
This is an absolutely brilliant book and I will definitely read it again without a doubt. My mother gave me a loan of this book to read and after I had read it I bought it on my kindle. It's amazing how most people think this could never happen to them but it happens a lot around the world! Can't believe people are forced to do things like this! Amazing true story!