• GRRR!
  • Customer reviews

on 17 April 2014
As someone who only really only liked a handful of Stone's songs I found that this collection suited perfectly as it's got almost everything that I wanted (cough..see below) and there's enough from each decade to keep me and everyone else happy. I also have Hot Rocks 1964-1971, a 2 disc Stones' collection covering near enough the same songs as on Grrr!. This album however sounds completely different. The songs have clearly been remastered and instruments and voices are now positioned precisely within the stereo image and everything is exceptionally clear (and louder...for good or bad). It's quite disconcerting at first but then you do get used to it...mostly. There are a few songs I'd prefer with less separation of instruments and voices, and less 'loudness' but I've got the other compilation for that.

A note on the length of some of the tracks on this compilation. Seems that quite a few of the songs have been 'tidied up'. That is, shortened to some degree or another. Probably won't bother most people. But the tidying up ranges from 20 seconds to a couple of seconds off the end or begging of songs...mostly a little shorter compared to the originals. Oh, and 'You Can't always get what you want' is the 4:51 version on Grrr!, not the longer 7:33 version...and the short versions sounds radically different to the original. Thankfully I've got the original longer version on the Hot Rocks 1964-1971. To be honest, as I'm not a massive fan I don't really care too much about the song reshaping. And besides, it's not exactly music for critical listening.
2 people found this helpful
on 4 February 2014
This is a bargain but the early recordings still don't sound great. the later songs which are better produced do sound great though.
I hope this medium takes off. When it's good it's very good. I'm into vinyl and it still takes some beating but the blu ray is very clear sounding but with a relaxed feel to it, unlike most CD releases. I'm hoping the record companies re-release a number of albums on the one disc as the capacity of the blu-ray is far greater.
I've only listened on a cheapo Sony blu-ray player and it sounds very good. I don't know if the medium takes the player quality out of the equation but it may well sound even better on an Opp or Cambridge Audio universal player.
I've also got Getz/Gilberto which is a jazz album which sounds fantastic. Jazz always seems to be recorded to a higher quality though.
3 people found this helpful
on 5 April 2013
What a treat after the withdrawal of the band's Decca recordings on hybrid SACD. This Blu-Ray sound quality on this issue is excellent throughout. The only reason that it failed to get 5 stars from me is because:

1. "Brown Sugar" [about 1 minute in] has a sharp 1 second whistle sound on one side of the stereo image that should not be there.
2. The Stereo mixes of the Decca era tracks "Its All Over Now", "Heart Of Stone" and "Time Is On My Side" are stunning so why weren't the Stereo versions of the other recordings from the same period e.g. "Satisfaction", "Get Off My Cloud" etc used as well? A lost opportunity I think.

Finally, I hope we can now look forward to the re-issue of the Stones' entire Decca and Rolling Stones Records' back catalogues in this superb Blu-Ray audio format in due course.
5 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I brought this Rolling Stones compilation on BluRay because I am very interested in hearing these classic songs in High Res Audio.
Overall the early songs from the 1960s don't have much better sound as the SACDs issued a while back.
However the 1970s songs are a big improvement in sound, makes you realise how poor the CDs were mastered.
As a value for money you can't complain. It is a shame there was no video content included such as promo clips or even some info on the music.
It also would have been nice to hear these in 5.1 if possible.
Overall its a good choice of songs and make this a good compilation of 50 years of The Rolling Stones.
I don't have any issues with the packaging, it's the typical BluRay case with a booklet with a small amount of info about each track.
4 people found this helpful
on 30 October 2013
Bought this disc a few weeks ago as i had the Marantz UD7007 SACD/Blu-Ray Player on order and wanted to try the new 'High Fidelity Pure Audio' or BLU-RAY Audio format out. Ok, the first few songs on the disc are from very early on in the Stones career and are very thin sounding but as far as i am concerned they, and the rest of the tracks on this disc, are exact copies of the original studio master tapes. Yes SACD and DVD-Audio are very good but this recording on this new format makes SACD and DVD-Audio redundant even more than they were before. If you have a good quality Blu-Ray player connected to a good amplifier and speakers then invest in this and other 'H.F.P.A' discs. Running time of 3 hours and 8 mins, 50 songs from the Rolling Stones all for less than a tenner.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 March 2013
Sorry about the crap title. Like many people I'd decided to give the Grrr! CD a body swerve, the Stones seem to have released more greatest hits compilations than they have original albums - and most of them in the last decade. So what makes this any different? Simples, the uncompressed audio. Like any Stones compilation you and your friends can have endless hours of debate regarding the song selection but what you can't argue about is that this disc presents these recordings in a way that you haven't heard them before. Most importantly there's no faffing around with surround sound mixes that were never meant to be, every track is delivered in stereo. I do however have one criticism in that I think the menue is very badly designed. But hey, stick it on at track one and don't worry for the next three hours or so.
4 people found this helpful
on 15 April 2015
I am a big fan of The Rolling Stones, their concert in Prague in 1990 was unforgettable, it was like a dream with clever motto: Tanks are rolling out, Stones are rolling in!". More than 100.000 people were on stadium, including our president Mr Havel. I bought all their regular albums from that year ( I had some vinyls - smuggled in the communist period - like Some girls or Emotional Rescue or their first album which was even produced in Czech Republic, yes after cca 15 years... and some compilations).
But with Grrrr I am quite disappointed , I missed a lot of important songs like Lady Jane, Flight 505, Yesterday's Paper and many more, I missed any information about songs - some stories about them. And more over I thing there is a quite short time of music - I can understand they feel like big bosses, but...
on 16 December 2014
I decided to buy the 3cd verson of Grrr as it has most of my favourite Rolling Stones tracks. No Lady Jane or I Wanna Be Your Man though sadly which are on Rolled Gold.

For me disc 1 is brilliant and hasnt a weak track on it and half of disc 2 the same. It then has some Stones songs i dont particularly like and disc 3 is poor in my view.

I have Rolled Gold but an old copy that sticks on some tracks but when i looked i saw this 3cd was cheaper than Rolled Golds 2cd. I also have the excellent Hot Rocks and Live Licks. I will buy another copy of Rolled Gold at some time which in my view with 24 tracks on cd1 is as good as cd 1 on Grrr.
on 11 February 2015
I am a fan of the Rolling Stones but didn't own any of their albums etc. So when this came out I saw the perfect opportunity to have a whole load of their songs in a handy greatest hits over 3 CDs. With a whopping 50 tracks and all their famous hits there is something for everyone who likes their music. Included is a nice 24 page booklet as well. If you are a big Rolling Stones fan then I'm pretty sure you own nearly all if not all of this material already, However, if like me you didn't have any then this is a truly great buy for a great price of one of the greatest bands of all time.
on 18 June 2013
I've never held with the view that The Stones are the greatest rock and roll band ever. Good for sure but far from being the greatest. Music is entirely subjective and very personal and for me their early work was by far their best. However this album is superb. Covering all areas of their career few could argue against the impact the band have made on British and world music. Of course as with any compilation some particular favourites might be missing but as a general retrospective this hits the mark on all levels. It's super to know that they're still out there entertaining folks and long may that continue. Just for the record (sorry about the pun) yes I have seen them live a couple of times, including once in the smallish Edinburgh Playhouse mid eighties period, and they rocked.