Customer reviews

NERO 12 Platinum (PC)
Price:£29.99+ £3.89 shipping

VINE VOICEon 19 December 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using Nero Burning ROM since version 5 and have always found it reliable. I've yet to have a failed burn because of Nero... due to using cheap discs yes but never Nero! Version 12 continues to build on that success with tweaks and new additions like new formats available to burn. It is fast and easy to compile a disc structure and then burn it.

The rest of the software in the package is a bit hit and miss, both in terms of usefulness and features. I've used Nero Video to make and Burn DVD productions and found it to be perfectly fine. It doesn't have the power of a product such as Sony's DVD Architect but then that is aimed at the professional whereas Nero is aimed squarely at the home user.

An example of features lacking is Nero Recode which can't rip copy-protected Discs, so is no good if you want to back your collection up or transfer it to your PC (as you are legally allowed to do now). Nero Blu-Ray Player is just another media player, Nero RescueAgent is no better or worse at recovering corrupted files and discs than any other similar program.

All of the programs that come with Nero can be installed or not via the setup/installer program so you don't have to have anything taking up space that you don't actually need.

The star of the Suite definitely is Nero Burning ROM which, in my opinion, is the best Burning program I've used, the rest of the utilities will, as I said, vary in their usefulness and power. If you are looking for a basic suite with a heavy emphasis on burning discs reliably, then this is the one to get...

Overall I would recommend Nero Platinum to anyone.
VINE VOICEon 21 February 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A very comprehensive suite, bursting with video editing and DVD/Blu-Ray burning features and bizarrely backup software, but it's flawed in many ways.

The install is the usual horrendous affair that Nero are famous for, including REALLY long serial numbers, I mean REALLY REALLY long, installing Ask toolbars and other such nonsense. You are then offered a very large update file to download. The install is really disheartening, and destroys all your confidence in the product before you have even begun. Ahead really need to sort this aspect out.

The software itself has similar frustrations, everything feels a little disjointed. Most things are covered here, from mastering special effects (Lots of them), recoding videos from different formats, burning to CD, DVD, Blu-Ray.

I did find the suite unable to create a DVD that included DVD-style SRT selectable subtitles, which was a rather large omission, and something I assumed would be included, as some internet freeware managed it without effort.

If you are happy with the previous Nero versions, i'm sure you will be happy with the updates included, however for me, it simply didn't gel, and just seemed even more unfocused than previous versions.
VINE VOICEon 11 January 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I like Nero, I have been using it for ages since version 3 or 4 I think, it has always been good software, the automatic updates and everything else now makes it even better. Nero 12 is excellent burning software, the additional audio and video editing and converting packages are pretty good too, but what has annoyed me since version 8 (I think) is that you get more of the integrated bloatware that has spoiled so many programs, you get media players, archiving stuff and the usual raft of unwanted tat, well it is in my case. I have just got fed up with the amount of packages that try and take over your PC, and in fairness to Nero you can custom install and not bother with anything that you don't want. Rant Over!

Nero 12 is as good at burning disks as it ever has been, it has the usual great selection of burning, editing and re-coding options that has made Nero one of the best and most used burning packages that I will keep returning to time and again for my burning needs. I recommend this software just be careful when you set it up to only install the bits you need.
on 21 November 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ended up dissapointed by Nero 11- it never really gelled and operated as a real suite for me, and all I ended up using regularly was Nero Express which used to be the free software anyway in days of old- but 12 Platinum does seem to be a marked improvement.

The elements are better integrated and there is a reasonable interface between them. The themes and templates look good but as with all software these days,it is memory hungry and loaded with a lot capabilities you'll probably never use. Having said that if you are into video-editing and have blu-ray capabilities you want to mess around with, then its all here for you to fiddle with to your heart's content.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 December 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Nero 12 Platinum is the latest iteration in the long line of Nero products which have been around for years. The components you get in the package are:

- Video Editing (Native AVCHD and other formats)
- Video Conversion (DVD, Blu-Ray to other formats and between formats)
- Disc Burning (CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, SecurDisc)
- Backup (Scheduled, Incremental, One-Click)
- Media Playback (DVD, Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray 3D, video & music streaming and photo slideshow)

There's a lot of functionality in there, and if burning discs is your primary intention, you won't find better than Nero - it's the de-facto indistry standard for burning discs, and has been for years.

So what's it good for?

For burning CDs, DVDs and Bluray discs, it's excellent.

For editing video (Nero Video 12) - it's a little on the basic side. Personally I much prefer Sony Vegas. For the money, Vegas has a lot more functionality, and you can even get it bundled with the superb Sound Forge.

For media transcoding (Nero Recode), I find it has a lot of format support, and if you have unprotected discs you want to rip, it's perfectly fine. You get a lot of control over codecs and bitrates so you can encode exactly how you want to, and the output is perfectly acceptable.

I've not had a lot of use out of BackItUp (a very simple to use backup utility) but it does seem very easy to configure for a novice user. You can perform backups from whole drives to individual files and schedule them. It looks interesting, but as I am very happy with SyncBackPro, I'll not be using it regularly.

So in summary, it provides a rather diverse if usful bag of tricks, but with so many specialist utilities out there bettering most of its functionality, you may eventually find yourself grudgingly upgrading each utility in turn to something better specified.

For its original intended purpose though - ripping and burning discs - it can't be beaten. Just remember that it can;t be used for duplicating protected discs - for that you're going to need a utility like AnyDVD.
on 21 November 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is another of those programs I have used for years. My last version was 10, but unfortunately video editing was incompatible with my laptop, a Samsung Series 7 Chronos running Windows 7 x64. That incompatibility has vanished with this version, and I can now see a preview of what I am editing!

So, what do I use this program for? Well, I used to burn data music and video onto disks with it, but that function is hardly necessary any more when just about any bit of AV equipment can play almost all varieties of music and video from a USB drive or even over a network. Also, USB drives have sort of replaced CDs and DVDs for temporary data storage.

However, this version will burn 3D bluray disks of you want!

So, my main use these days is editing video files, and changing the format of audio and video files for the few bits of equipment that can't handle any format. This it does well.

Technology has changed fast since Nero was introduced. It now faces stiff competition from other contenders, notably Corel Photo & Video Suite X5. Unless you have a media player that can only handle a small number of formats or you specifically need to burn to CD/DVD/Blu-Ray, this suite is going to be overkill.

However, it is good at what it does, so I am not prepared to damn it entirely.
VINE VOICEon 26 December 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Unlike some other reviewers I had no problems loading/installing the software or updates but did encounter some that others have mentioned.I tried to create a DVD with a file that was nowhere near the size/capacity of a standard 4.7GB disc but was told to insert an 8.5GB disc!

I tried this (despite the obvious discrepancy) and only succeeded in wasting the 8.5GB disc!
I have tried a lot of different video editing software over the years : Pinnacle, Magix, Adobe as well as some older versions of Nero - so I shouldn't have a problem with most procedures - but when I tried to do something, quite straight forward, like grab a video frame and use it as a background for a title screen; I could not figure it out! The frame was captured easily enough and added to the standard backgrounds supplied but when I moved into the title editing, the captured `snapshot' was no longer available and editing the title screen was far from intuitive (and intuitive is what you want) I eventually gave up and used another piece of software for the project!

On the plus side there are some nice video effects pre-sets and the Recode function (converts from one file format to another) can be very useful but as a video editing suite it leaves a lot to be desired!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 14 December 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The basic components of this suite work well, but they simply do not integrate properly. If you want to burn a few files to a CD this will do fine (but so will the native Windows burners).

I wanted to take a video I had in divx format (my wedding) and burn it as a DVD. I put it into the DVD creator, but apparently I have to convert it first in a media converter, the window suggests "use an authoring software like Nero Vision to create DVD-Video files from standard video files such as *.avi and *.mpg."

a. Why does it not suggest Nero Video - which is part of the suite?
b. why have two separate packages rather than allowing me to burn the dvd and just convert as part of the process?

Nero recode is dreadful - it claims to convert to DVD structure, but just lists optimisations for Playstaions and ipods (why?)- there is free software that does a better job of this (Format Factory). Nero backup comes under the same heading - native Windows software does file and drive backup better.

I can't comment on the blue-ray player software as I have not got one.

It all works in Windows 8, but I was not expecting a load of packages, I wanted one which does lots of stuff.
on 28 June 2013
I have nero and Rozio as I have several PC's. I usec to like Nero but this version the more I try to use it the more irritated I get. It is a real pigs ear. Trying to cram in qall thigns to all peopel then makes simpe tasks very difficult to find. Earielr version of Nero worked great, easy to use (sort of) reasonable stable.
This one I dislike mnore and more.
Not stable, free dowloads inpossible to download (run up scripting error)
Main program refuses to run unless you have internet conection active.
Confusing to find straighforward tasks

I have found the latest vesrion of Roxio easier to use, this version of Nero has been a total waste of money. I opted for the platium version - greater waste of money

To any one who thinks I am paid by Rosio: sorry this is my OWN OPTION based on comparing both products side by side in day to day tasks, so please dont post replies like someone who made the outrageous suggestion I had been paid by Microsoft when I compared the 2 different version of Office suite 2013/365. These RE product reviews to help potential buyers make an informed choice.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 May 2013
I used an old version of Nero (7 iirc) a lot on my old xp system. It was time do ditch the xp, I built myself a system running Windows 7 64 bit. Possibly the fact the nero 12 is only 32 bit is part of the problem, I'm not enough of a computer expert to know. Whatever the problem, nero crashes a lot. When it works, it does just what I want, but it crashes about 5/6 times before I eventually get it going. I'm disappointed in this product.