Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More

Customer reviews

Where Do You Start
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£9.99

on 18 July 2017
This is the 2nd cd I`ve recently bought from Amazon. Like the first one I bought , the quality of the recording is excellent and in perfect condition,
and I adore this album. But again, I wonder why the case is cardboard rather than hard plastic? I know it shouldn`t but somehow it spoils it i.e.( it`s
such a fantastic record it deserves better treatment ! ) Apart from this slight quibble the service and delivery from Amazon , is ,as usual , excellent.
on 3 October 2012
The formula of this album is the same of some of the most engaging releases from the Brad Mehldau trio: rock-pop songs, jazz standards and original compositions (actually just one titled "Jam" in this case) all mixed together and played with intensity and empathy by Mehldau, Grenadier and Ballard. The result is 78 minutes of beautiful music that is groovy and lyrical, romantic and passionate. No surprises or adventures towards new territories, just the "classic" good things from the Mehldau trio for an album that in my opinion comes close to the excellent 2005 Day Is Done, sitting just a little behind it. Enjoy!
on 13 November 2012
I'm a huge fan of Mehldau and buy all his albums as a matter of course. I know before listening that I am going to like the album as everything he puts out is worth a listen. I particularly like his trio albums, and having listened to the album 'ODE' which was released earlier this year, and which I love I pretty much expected more of the same with this one. However after hearing ths album a few times I honestly think he has raised the bar yet again. This is a brilliant album, 78 minutes of absolute genius. Unlike 'Ode', which contained all self penned tunes, this one offers 10 covers and only one original. Many of the covers are very familiar to me by other artists, such as Hey Joe (made famous by Hendrix), Nick Drake's 'Time has told me' and Elvis Costello's 'Baby plays around' and Sonny Rollins 'Airegin'. Other tracks I am not so familiar with include 'Brownie speaks' by Clifford Brown and 'Holland' by Sufjan Stevens. Each and every track is outstanding, the trio are all on top form. Every track is so good that it is difficult to pick out any that stand out from the rest. My current personal favourites after having heard the CD about half a dozen times are Baby plays around (just over 10 minutes long and you don't want it to stop) and Hey Joe. However I have no doubt that other tracks will take over as favourites after a few more listens. I would rate this as one of Mehldau's best ever albums and my personal album of the year so far.
on 5 January 2013
I love almost everything Brad Mehldau plays and this album is no exception. Listening to Hey Joe as I write, and find myself playing air piano on the desktop (and I have never played a piano!)
Covers are often a good way into "jazz" for non-afficionados and I would suggest this album would be a good introduction to Brad Mehldau for anyone uncertain if they like his music.
Baby Plays Around is just gorgeous
on 31 December 2012
Unlike some of Brad Mehldau's recordings, which perhaps lose their way from time to time, this is consistently enjoyable. Some clever arrangements and interpretations, particularly of Hey Joe.
on 18 August 2013
This album is really great. I love the way Mehldau has chosen modern songs and turned them into "standards". It has lovely reflective tracks and upbeat grooves. It is rare in being comparable with Keith Jarrett or John Law. I liked all the tracks and if you appreciate contemporary piano jazz I think you will also.
It includes a version of Hey Joe, which was covered by Martin, Majeski and Wood years ago, but this reallyis the piano version of the Jimi Hendrix version. This CD has been in my car CD player since I bought it, it's all good.
on 17 November 2015
I discovered the Brad Mehldau Trio by chance as the soundtrack to a news piece on the BBC and this is my first real experience of their music. Suffice to say, I'm hooked! It's a great album that just gets better with each listen. The MP3 download was quick and painless.
on 10 April 2014
Hey Joe rocks. And the rest is brilliant also. This album is as good as anything so far and a must for anyone collecting Brad Mehldau.
on 19 February 2017
This Jazz is not for me - passed the disc onto someone more into this kind of jazz, and she enjoys it.
on 30 August 2013
Brad manages to lift you up only as he knows: engaging and upbeat, with a true respect to jazz values