on 30 December 2016
The extended scenes make a difference to the film, more than you'd think. It's nice to see classic book scenes (Gandalf's introduction of the dwarves to Beorn is straight from the pages of the Hobbit), though I understand why they were cut. In the case of that scene, there's no need for a recap.
Other scenes that were cut include a much longer trek through Mirkwood. with the sickly magic in the air affecting the dwarves much more strongly, a scene of the dwarves crossing Mirkwood's enchanted river, with Bombur falling in, additional stuff in Lake-town (showing the town's discontent with the Master and his thugs), and most significantly, a change to Gandalf's side-quest to Dol Guldur. In this version, Gandalf runs into Thrain, Thorin's father, in Dol Guldur, and the two attempt to escape together.
on 31 March 2018
First of all yes thus isn't like the book and does stray from the source material but in order to get three films out of it this was always going to be the case.
The Desolation of Smaug is sure to satisfy those who thought the first installment dragged its feet. The action is none like we've seen in any middle-earth installment. The visual effects are much improved, the pace is seamless, and the danger is ever more present. Yet through it all, Bilbo and the company's journey to reclaim the Lonely Mountain is not forgotten as the driving force of this tale.
on 3 June 2015
In the Blu-ray 3D Extended edition I have of The Desolation of Smaug, the 3D is mostly very good and the effects are excellent, and all in glorious full HD. Smaug at the end was perhaps my favourite character out of several. But some viewers might think the original story has been padded out too much with extra detail added from some of Tolkien's other works. The extended version is worth having, as there are several bits that really should have been in the cinema release.

However, I simply forgot all that and set aside a dark and rainy Sunday afternoon and evening when there was nothing on the TV and just enjoyed the action. It is amazing how many orcs etc can be hacked down by so few heroes...

The blurb lists the nine hours of extras. Perhaps there are too many; one could spend weeks trying to absorb all the info, and we've only just skated across it all, cherry picking items that seemed as if they might be interesting - and most of them actually were.

You do need to have watched Part 1 first, and then there is still the finale to come in Part 3
on 11 April 2016
One may or may not agree with this way of showing the Hobbit. This is Jackson’s take on it, and I think this is how it should be looked at. Comparing to the book, leaves, well… it is not the same (let’s put it this way). But the moment you look at as an interpretation and a beautiful story, everything goes back to happy place.
Fully loaded with goodies – extended scenes, in 2 and 3D version, commentaries, and, and, and. What more can I say – a fully loaded version with all the bells and whistles – just as it should be. As a regular+ (I like my home cinema, I enjoy the multi speaker setup and I like HD on a projector screen) user I am happy with it – I don’t mind for the nice box and gadgets. Though for a hard core collector I would suggest and even more loaded version with statues and what not to make the experience even more enjoyable. Overall – very happy with the purchase.
on 26 July 2016
First time watch for me.
Very impressed with this film.
I watched the ring trilogy recently having watched them years ago and enjoyed each of those over again.
Then I watched 'An Unexpected Journey', for the first time, I liked that very much.
Now this second film of 'The Hobbit' trilogy and what a delight it is.
Loads of monsters and scary beings.
I think of all five films so far this, for me, is the best.
I have the 'Five Armies' left to see, they are all good fun, but this one held me from start to finish.
Please don't watch it separately from the first film.
They lead on to each other.
Treat yourself to all three, I am really looking forward to the last one, I don't think it will disappoint.
on 15 February 2016
Like all the films based on Tolkein's books, this is so action packed it makes you dizzy. We see the dragon Smaug in his lair. He is covered in gold, but he is alone, no mate, no little dragons. It seems everyone wants this gold, though really it is worth nothing. I assume there is a moral in this. Why die for a pile of gold? We meet the elves, who all seem to have similar names, apart from Legolas. The dwarves also all seem to have similar names, which is confusing. In all of this Bilbo Baggins stands out, he can see beyond the gold and is a brave warrior, even though that is not what a Hobbit usually is. I enjoyed the film, I have now seen the trilogy and it is exciting though a bit confusing. Would recommend it.
on 7 June 2016
This is just what I wanted. I look forward to being able to watch all 3 Hobbit movies then all 3 Lord of The Rings movies (probably a Bank Holiday!). We live near the 3 Yorkshire Peaks and the scenery makes me think of the movies and viceversa. I think the movie experience is enhanced by the scenes added into the DVDS. (I know for some this is not true). I love the packaging. The whole thing shows the makers made an effort for the fans
on 10 February 2016
Another amazing adventure brought to us by The lord of the Rings team beautifully shot, excellent characters a long film but worth every second a truly excellent film only down side it ends abruptly but now I just need to watch the final instalment the 5 armies-truly breath taking in every sense of the word a must watch for Lord of the Rings fans
on 19 October 2015
The BD and box itself are fine but the film is drawn out too much. It was fine making the Lord of the Rings in 3 films as that followed the books but The Hobbit shouldn't have been any longer than one film.
on 21 January 2018
The dwarves battle toward the Lonely Mountain.
Facing the elves, orcs and Smaug are a double task, when you are not so tall and yet help comes from the strangest of places