on 6 December 2014
An excellent extended edition as always, if you have all the other extended editions like myself then you would have been purchasing this release regardless of any review that I will be giving it but is a great addition to extended edition family where they always put a bit more in from the original books and more importantly they have more narrative to link up the threads of all the books. A truly enjoyable experience for all & even more enjoyable for the lovers of extended editions.
on 16 May 2014
I AM A BIG FAN OF THE L.O.T.R. AND THE HOBBIT, I AM STILL A FAN I HAVE SEEN THIS FILM ABOUT 12 OR MORE TIMES IN THE CINEMA AND I JUST DON'T GET BORED WATCHING IT THE FANTASY, ELVES, DWARFS, DRAGONS, ORCS, AND ALL THAT IN THE FILM, WHEN THE STARTED THE L.O.T.R AND THE HOBBIT I GOT ENTHRALLED IN THE FILMS I BOUGHT THE BOOKS NAD I WAS NOT DIAPPOINTED IN THEMONCE YOU START YOU CANNOT PUT THEM DOWN.
MR. PETER JACKSON I TIP MY HEAD TOO YOU SIR BRILLANT.
CAN'T WAIT FOR THE LAST OF THE THE HOBBIT TRILOGY
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
What an awesome film this was. If you are preparing to watch this I would recommend watching the first film The Hobbit then this one, or you can be confused on some story lines that continue from first one. Very enjoyable film, great characters, great special fx what more do you want from a film?
on 3 June 2014
I am a great fan of the Lord of the Rings and found the first Hobbit film very enjoyable, this latest one ( the Desolation of Smaug) was well carried on and the graphics were absolutely amazing. I am looking forward to the third film with great anticipation. They are a collection I will watch over and over again with a lot of enjoyment.
on 12 August 2016
Continuing my Middle Earth journey, The Desolation of Smaug follows on directly from the first Hobbit movie and reinforces the problems of Jackson's bloated trilogy. The story meanders it's way to the Lonely Mountain, and in this one we have Elves, a lot more Orcs and a rather large dragon.

There's much to like here. The set pieces are as grand as ever, the action is frequent and fast paced, and we finally get to meet the dragon, who utterly steals the show. Smaug is a fantastic creation, and the first sequence in Erebor is nothing but captivating. It's here that Bilbo really shows his true character, with a fantastic act which perhaps goes on a bit too long, yet keeps you gripped throughout. The final scene has a satisfying - and horrifying - end, paving the way for the final movie, and it left me wanting to watch it right away.

Having said that, this is far from perfect. Some of the action scenes echo the problems of the first outing, coming off like video games with ridiculous action, where there is no threat and the orcs are simply there as sword or arrow fodder. Even one notable scene involving the band of dwarves and Smaug left me feeling a little cold, because everyone feels invincible - and the final setpiece (no spoilers...I'll just say gold) felt completely contrived and had me groaning in my seat. Along with a plastic-looking Legolas and the lovely and deadly Tauriel, the enemy appears to have no chance...

One other criticism I have is that after two movies and almost 6 hours running time, I still don't feel like I know any of the dwarves other than Thorin. They are more like charicatures with no real depth, and I can't help but wonder why they were neglected.

From an audio point of view, this is stunning. Smaug's voice shakes the room, dragon fire will make your windows strain if played at reference levels, and the whole mix is wonderfully prioritised. It's not so heavily bass filtered as the first movie, which makes it a better mix overall.

Overall, this isn't perfect, it has problems, but even so it's another fun ride.
on 6 May 2014
I can thoroughly recommend this film which is bound to become as firm a family favourite as the original book . Shame about the DVD Extras though , there is only one on this version - we will need to fork-out more of the hard-earned , to get the 'Extended/Collectors' Versions' , of all three when they are released , to get a fuller picture . . .
on 24 October 2014
Amazing. There's no a lot else that you can say about this incredible film. Visually stunning, well scripted, lots of extras which, although weren't in the Hobbit, are taken from a lot of the other background material about the stories and middle earth so it's a great expanded story.
on 24 November 2014
The LOTR and Hobbit often divides opinion but I am a big fan. The extended cut is excellent and there's hours and hours of very interesting documentaries about how this epic film was produced. As an avid reader of Tolkien, director, Peter Jackson never fails to put what's in my imagination on the screen.
on 23 May 2014
Following on from the first (An Unexpected Journey) this delivers a more cohesive part of the trilogy. The only criticism I can give is that it is overlong, especially with the face to face with Smaug. Overall though cannot wait for the final piece to be issued.
on 8 April 2014
A good film but the picture quality was not all that and the 8mb broadband connection needed to buffer a few times while watching, did not think that would happen in standard def. Blinkbox does not have this problem.