TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 November 2012
Platform: PC|Edition: Standard|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With Windows 7 and Windows 8 managing to do a number of the functions of these type of software packages it is often stated in magazines that they are not really necessary. I, however, do like them.
I have used this particular one since the very early versions which seem to find numerous registry and other problems no matter how often you do a scan.
It did correctly identify that my C:\Drive is a Solid State Drive (SSD) and correctly did not offer to run the disk defragmentation utility as these are not recommended for SSD drives.
The PC always seems to run OK either with or without Registry Cleaners and Tune Up Utilities but I routinely like to use it anyway.
I prefer not to select the automatic maintenance option as I like to see what it is recommending before I go ahead.
It would be a good idea to have a "benchmark test" built in to prove the validity of running the software as having tried the Turbo Mode I do not notice any difference but as I am using a fairly high specification PC this is probably understandable. A good thing is that the software is not following the trend of only running for 12 months before you need to pay up again and continues to use the "up to 3 PC's" licensing system.
on 11 October 2013
it's working for me and help my laptop work much better after I run it the first time I will recomend this anyone asking the Price is good as well
'TuneUp Utilities 2013' is great piece of utility PC software and at a great price. You can use this software on 3 PC's or laptops which makes 'TuneUp Utilities' a real bargain.

We installed the software with ease onto my newish laptop (Windows 7) and my
husband's 'Dinosaur' laptop (Windows XP) and sat back to await the results ... and we were not disappointed.

The first thing to comment on is the vast amount of utilities available within 'TuneUp Utilities 2013', in fact there are 30 tools in all.

Every imaginable utility is included ...

PC cleaner, optimizer, and troubleshooter.
Disk Cleaner 2013: Cleans up system-clogging clutter from 150 programs and Windows
Browser Cleaner 2013: Removes data traces from 25 browsers
Optimization 2.0: Stops performance-sapping programs
And much more ...

So did 'TuneUp Utilities 2013' actually make a difference?

Well I'm pleased to report, it certainly did. The biggest difference was to be found on my husband's archaic laptop. Not only can you hear his laptop chugging away, you can now see it working ... internet pages actually load within seconds instead of minutes.

In fact both of our laptops work consistently faster, smoother and with less problems after using the 1-click maintenance and automatic maintenance that installs with 'TuneUp Utilities 2013'

To sum up, this software is a must buy. Perfect!
Tune up Utilities 2013

I run a design and IT business and have an IT degree and access to loads of computers in my business so I can give this software an exaustive test.

What is it for ?

This package helps clean up and make your Windows PC more efficient and reliable, less blue screens. Over time Windows (all versions) collects all sorts of junk from duplicated files, old software, partly deleted software, poor disk housekeeping by Windows, junk from the internet which auto installs to name but a few sources of Windows bloat. All of this causes Windows to slow down and sometimes become unreliable with frequent crashing, slow response and lots of disk activity which is unnecessary and power consuming. I have used it over the last few years with a fair amount of success.
Tune Up Utilities is designed to delete and correct this build up of items which slow a machine down.

Loading Tune Up is quick and easy. It has two modes, the first is auto which scans your computer for you and finds all the problems and recommends automatic fixes for them. The other mode is one where the user can tweak the optimisation of the system and it is quite easy to use even with basic knowledge. The one step tune up mode is probably all most people will need. I strongly recommend that you do a system backup before using this software.

So far so good but does this sort of software work, would it not be easier just to re-install Windows and all your files every six months or so when the slowdown of the system gets in the way of productivity ? For most of us this is not an option because we are only mere humans and loose disks and as for backups, I must find out about them!! So unless you have a tiny amount of data and know where all your disks (back ups) are, let alone serial numbers then this type of software is the only real option to restore performance.

The version of Tune Up I have is for 3 machines so I decided to try it on an old XP laptop, a Vista desktop (which is very unreliable, frequent blue screens) and a top end Windows i7 based machine with the latest hardware and 64Bit Windows 7 Ultimate on it which has 3 x 1TB hard drives and boots of a 64 Gb SSD drive with 16Gb of RAM so it should fly (even being only six months old this machine has slowed down especially on start up). I also have a Windows 8 based laptop and the 2013 version of Tune-up Utilities works with Windows 8.

XP machine

On the XP laptop with a single core CPU and 2Gb of RAM it definitely improved start up times and fixed loads of registry errors and cleaned up and defragmented the hard drive. It is now working much faster and seems very reliable although this machine is due for retirement now.

Vista machine

Now to the Vista based desktop with an old quad core CPU, 4Gb of RAM and a 1Tb hard drive. It took quite a long time to run on this machine in the auto mode but it found a huge number of problems with the system. I clicked the 'fix it all' button and it took over an hour to go through and do its work. I then rebooted the machine expecting to see a blue screen but not this time it went right into the Vista start screen and the system was ready to use after about 45 seconds, marvellous as it normally took 10 minutes to boot and every operation seemed to take ages. Opening Word took over a minute but now almost instant on with it. Stability has been good to.
Vista was always a bad product but Tune up has made this system useable again so full marks here.

Windows 7 64 bit machine with SSD

Now onto my main machine which I use for photo , Video editing and design work (hence the top end spec). This machine running Windows 7 has never crashed or given any problems really only a slowdown in start up time by about 10 seconds and the odd RAW photo file taking a long time to open in Photoshop. I ran Tune Up 2013 and it went through the system in about 30 seconds and did not find much wrong except for some start up problems and that the main storage hard drive needed defragmenting (it is full of 1000's of photo files). I ran the fix routine and it took 2 minutes to complete (much faster than last years 2012 version of Tune Up). I rebooted the machine and Windows 7 was up and ready to go in a few seconds. Photoshop opened in under 15 seconds and the lag time opening large photo files had all but gone. I then went into the manual mode and had a detailed look at this system to find that I could get a little more speed out of it by letting Tune Up alter some of the main Windows routines to achieve what it called Turbo mode.

Windows 8

I ran Tune up Utilities 2013 on my new Windows 8 laptop. It found very little wrong, just a few broken registry entries. I will rerun this in 3 months after this newish machine has had a chance to build up some internet and Windows derbies.

Manual mode

I ran the tuning utilities and quite a few Windows settings were amended (I did a full restore point before carrying this out just in case my faith in the software got tested!). I did a reboot and noticed a tiny bit more speed as it had adjusted some of the SSD timings. Overall this software does work but certainly excels sorting out Vista which many people still use as it came with their machines. As for Windows 7 it does help but Windows 7 is a much better system all round compared to Vista or XP (some may disagree but that's my view) so I was not expecting huge gains here but got more than I expected. I wish they made a version of this software for the human brain as I am sure my registry and memory really need sorting out and my data retrieval is terrible with so much clutter gained in life! only joking of course. If your machine is much slower and unreliable than when you bought it then I can recommend giving this a try before reaching for the Windows install disk.

One flaw this software has is that it does not do an automatic system back up before it changes the Windows system files -this could lead to problems as I see that some reviwers have had - always do a system restore point before using this type of software !!!!

Overall

With older machines this software will give you back some speed and reliability. With newer machines and operating systems there is not so much to gain except a few tweaks to speed. It seems to recognise SSD drives now and never offers to defragment them which is correct practice. I expect different machines will give varied results with this software due to the many combinations of hardware out there. It's useful if you have a machine that is playing up.
Like any software which alters Windows or offers to repair it you should always create a restore point before using this type of software.
The main compeititor for this software is 'Fix It Utilities' sold by Avanquest which does much the same thing and is listed on Amazon.
I've been using Tune Up Utilities for the past 4-5 years, always updated to the newest version and on every occasion have been very pleased with the noticeably improved performance it's made to my PC. I have the 3-user licence which I share with my elderly father for use on his laptop and can enjoy peace of mind knowing that every 2 weeks it's going to automatically perform maintenance for him, keep it running smoothly - and avoid the inevitable panic phone calls to me when he feels something has gone wrong!

I always start off by keeping my own PC reasonably well maintained but it's one of those boring chores which tends to slip with time and gradually systems become cluttered and clogged up leading to a gradual deterioration in performance. Despite my reasonable diligence, Tune Up 2013 still managed to find 688 registry errors and 111 broken shortcuts and clean up a whopping 140,819MB which I wasn't anticipating! I feel this 2013 version is more thorough than the earlier versions and seems to run more speedily too.

It's a good, solid, reliable package which looks at virtually every aspect of the nuts and bolts to keep a PC/laptop running smoothly from optimising start-up programs to give fast start-up and reboot times, a clear-out of old registry entries, and optimises a computer to get the best possible performance. All tasks can be set to run either manually as required, eg in the event of a problem, or automatically in the background. Should anything ever go wrong, the 'Rescue Centre' takes a backup before making any changes so all changes made can be undone at the click of a button.

Many of the features are already built into Windows but Tune Up makes them easily accessible via a simple user-interface so that complete novice users can access them via a package which knows how to use them correctly.

I would recommend Tune Up to any user who wants to keep their computer running smoothly to give peak performance without having to think about it. An excellent product offering equally excellent value for money. I would never be without it.
The one stop shop side (One click tuneup) which you can schedule to run automatically at chosen intervals and also you can just choose to run at any time in between if you so wish. This is for the "non-expert" PC user, who just wants a piece of software that can keep his/her computer reasonably well tuned up and performing to nearly its best without having to go digging around the rest of the program to perhaps more "manual" cleaning of the computer. It gets rid of things like temp files, compacts files, defrags, cleans up registry and so on.

The second side to the software is the list of more manual tuning options. These range from, running the individual options (some of which are already in the one click tune up mentioned above) which allow you to decide which functions and areas of the PC to "tune up" but also contains a memory tune up option which is real time. There are however some more "invasive" routines which will get to back-up areas of the PC which i didn't know I could get to nor that I knew existed. Such as cleaning up batches of back-up files and restore points which are old and not needed; also some further registry and start-up tune up routines which help to generally remove the background processes which I never knew were running and are annoyingly leftovers from software I have tried and decided not to bother with again.

A criticism which I had of the 2009 version (last time I had this software) was that some if the tune up solutions offered didn't progress automatically, you had to follow on screen instructions and get into the parts of your operating system which normally you would never look at. However, this latest version takes care of all of that with one click by accepting recommendations, which give you pros and cons of accepting the tube ups.

So all in all, this TuneUp Utilities 2013 package should keep experts and non experts happy. To get the most improvement you do need to use the full extent of the software, so in my opinion the one click option only gets 80% there. You need to use the expert mode to get close to 100% of possible performance. I have noticed significant improvements, particularly when starting up the computer and when opening multiple programs/windows.
on 16 May 2013
...of tools for the novice PC user.

Personally, I found that TuneUp Utilities didn't have anything that I didn't already have covered by other software, but to a novice I can see it could be useful. It doesn't have the power of some applications but that's a good thing as it stops new PC users from doing anything too drastic which might damage their operating system. It's good to have all the tools in one application, and they fill in gaps in the current Microsoft Windows tools (which are very limited).

The claims of being able to speed up your boot-up by 50% etc. apply to those who just install anything and everything on their PC. If you are careful with what you install, this toolset will be little to speed up your system, but it does give you a decent level of control of applications, startup, resource access and so on. As I said, it is good to have all this in one place, and the scheduling funtion works well.

Considering the low cost, I can see this as a good option to those novices who want to streamline their PC resource use.
on 23 January 2013
I've ran the 2012 version for a year now without any problems and this 2013 package is just as good. It honestly has made a difference to the efficiency of my W7 running lappie and PC. It's a completely unobtrusive programme thta ticks over happily in the background. There's plenty of functions to dip into if you want to check out potential problems etc or do specific checks. And for the price? Can't go wrong. Overall very impressed with it's efficiency and ease of use. Unhesitating five stars.
on 1 June 2013
I looked at feedback before buying this product and it seemed mostly positive - I have not been disappointed - it found and cleared things I didn't know existed and my computer starts up far more quickly than ever - what more can I say
on 4 August 2013
I was having problems with my computer with slow start up, it was taking 8 minutes to get stated and access the internet. I had tried to correct the problem myself using the standard Disk Cleanup, Disk Defragmenter, uninstalling programs and so on but nothing seemed to have an effect. After purchasing TuneUp Utilities 2013 and going through the simple step by step procedures my computer can now start up and access the internet in just over a minute. I had wasted a lot of my time trying to correct the problems myself visiting internet sites to get advice on how to correct the problem. The internet seems to be littered with sites wanting you to purchase their computer tune up programs… but who do you trust? After a search on Amazon and reading a few reviews of this product I thought I’d give it a go. That’s one less problem to think about:)

See one answered question