on 6 August 2013
These sound INCREDIBLE for relatively cheap headphones. I'm super fussy and have been through a ridiculous amount of headphones seeking the perfect workout pair.

These truly sound amazing... there's not much more you could ask for in terms of sound quality in a sports headphone up to £50. High end clarity may be a bit lacking but the bass thumps nice and deep without ever being muddy or overwhelming, and the mids and top end are delivered with excellent clarity and energy - not a flat 'natural' response, but one very well suited to running or the gym etc.

But I cannot use them and that's thanks to Sennheiser having a stupid remote unit located a few inches along the wire as it hangs out of your left ear. So what happens as you run is the remote dangles about, hitting your cheek or neck because it isn't all that lightweight. Plus you can feel it pulling at your ear as you run and although the headphones stay beautifully in place, the tugging sensation on your left ear is highly irritating. I have tried endlessly to find an arrangement using the provided cable clip to stop this awful dangle and pulling sensation and occasionally i've managed to lessen it but in the end I have simply given up with these. I would seriously be standing on the treadmill for 5, 10 minutes at a time trying to adjust the cable to prevent the problem of the dangling remote.

I don't even care about having a remote! The iPhone is on the treadmill's console right in front of me so if I need to adjust I'll just do it via the iPhone screen, I really really do not need to faff about with a fiddly little dangling remote unit!

It's such a total shame that Sennheiser couldn't just keep it simple and I find it unbelievable that in their own tests of these headphones noone brought this up as a serious design flaw. They could at least put the remote further down the cable so it's not hanging off your ear and slapping your neck. I'm so disappointed as the sound is probably not bettered by any other sports headphones out there. (From what I have read these sound better than the Bose ones and I can very much believe that!)
44 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2015
Motivated by the negative reviews, I thought I'd give a riposte to the prevailing criticism of these headphones.

First of all - all of the comments regarding how good the sound quality and how well fitting these are, are true. I am a stickler for sound quality -too much bass or sound quality that resembles tin as the medium would never do for me. They are worth the extra money for both of these aspects.

Second - My purpose is to use these at the gym or at other times when my larger on-ear headphones are just impractical. I jog and do weights, so I need something that will stay in place and of course, not annoy the hell out of me while I exert tremendous effort.

So I should explain my usual method of wearing these - having attached the phones to my head, I feed the wire down through the neck of my T-shirt and then connect them to my iPod which is then stored in my pocket.

I found none of the issues that others have reported regarding the annoying hitting of the wire and the volume/mic box against the cheek or neck. I found while arranging the wire, as I do, that there is no such annoyance.

Even so, I would have awarded these 3-4 stars as they really are great. I have only awarded them 4 as I know that they are not absolutely perfect and I am sure you could spend an absolute fortune to get 5 star headphones. These are great, worth the extra dosh, and worth giving a go as I did.
on 11 November 2012
Having read up on several other types of earphones for running/gym work I decided to opt for these in preference to the PMX680i. I've tried a few sets of cheaper earphones but as with a few before me, once the proverbial metabolism kicks in on the jogging machine they tend to pop out like corks from a bottle! The ensuing battle to get them to stay in place thereafter is a losing one, a little akin to trying to grip a bar of soap with wet hands.

Fortunately the folks from sen/adidas appear to have found the solution. Having not owned the PMX680i I can't do a physical comparison, but going off pictures/reviews: the headband is thinner, the cable only goes from one ear rather than both, the remote volume switch is easy to use (but sadly only appears to work with apple products, that said the use of apples "voice control" here is really effective), not only are these really lightweight (even lighter than the 680i), the sound is fantastic with an excellent bass.

The headband is comfortable and is that light you wouldn't know it was there. Running it didn't budge at all, you can do sit ups with hands at the side of your head, the only issue might be if you leant your head back on some apparatus. The cable is about 1.2m which isn't too long that it gets in the way, and is itself very sturdy and doesn't seem to want to get tangled!

Have also worn these whilst out on my bike, and although not noise cancelling, this is not detrimental to sound they produce. However, if you have a cycle helmet that is slung low at the back you may have problems keeping the phones in place. I don't wear glasses, but did try them with a pair of sunglasses and although it was noticeable there was something resting on your ears, it wasn't to the point of distraction or annoyance.

All in all I'm very pleased with them, and for anyone like me who had issues with popping ear plug type earphones - this could be your solution!
on 18 October 2014
I want to give these headphones a five star rating because of their comfort in ear, lightweight, almost unnoticeable feel on the head when running and superior sound quality... Alas, not all is perfect. It seems I'm not the only one who spends irritating amounts of time trying to clip the wire to my top just right so the volume control doesn't knock against my cheek/chin/neck. It's such a shame that this element is wrong because it is such an annoyance, not just a minor irritation but when on long runs, it can become a focus and distraction from all else!

That said, when you clip it in the right place pre-run... They're great! Best headphones I've run with over the past three years. best ear fit, most comfortable, best sound. Till I wrecked them! Well hey, I run a lot...!

Sennheiser... Slight design tweak and these would be perfect!
on 13 February 2015
I'm old enough (now in my mid 50s) to have bought and experienced dozens of pairs of headphones over the years and to remember those ten-band graphic equalisers people used to add to their hi-fi systems.

I bought these to be used when walking the dogs. The ear-bud Sennheisers I've been using sound fine but tend to drop out which is annoying so I thought these would be a good choice. I've had several pairs of Sennheiser headphones over the years and rarely been disappointed.

But these sound horrible - just dreadful. The bass is overwhelming. You can hear nothing but booming bass, with some tinny treble. All the mid-range sounds as though it's coming from three streets away. It's as thought someone's feeding the music through one of those 10-band equalisers, whacked the lowest three sliders up the max, as well as the highest one, and pushed everything else down to zero.

I tried listening to pop, jazz, metal and trance. They all sounded terrible. I guess I should have paid attention to the one-star reviews instead of the five-star ones. Sigh.
on 3 April 2016
I purchased these headphones a couple of months back for using on the way to and from home to work. Although the bass is slightly lacking overall on all music types the mid range and treble response is excellent. I was overall quite satisfied with these headphones until they just snapped in half one day in their protective bag which was in my works bag. A lot of money just done and dusted. Not happy and I won't buy another pair of these again.
on 31 May 2016
I purchased these head phones almost a year ago I have waited to respond on their performance because you can never tell till you have them a while. They have been great up until now, they are light weight, they stay in your ears and I would have reccomended them though I think almost £60 is a lot of money to spend on a pair of head phones that only work for a year as the sound has stopped working in one of the ears and I do use them often (3 times a week) though that's why I researched and tried several others before these. I'm disappointed I may as well buy lots of the cheap ones.
on 23 March 2015
I really regret getting these, not because they are not good quality - they are a good quality - but because they are far too fragile: the second time I wore them I happened to have to be on a walk and had to pick up a dog. His paw got hooked in the line and the ear phones were yanked out of my ears. Of course this has happened many times with other headphones. The problem was that in the process the back neck part snapped in two. So, two days of use, £35 quid out of the window. (I did try to glue the bits together but it hasn't worked, the headphones don't stay on anymore.

I think that given that all headphones tend to get hooked on things, at least in my experience they do, I would never buy these again. Too fragile.
on 2 August 2015
This product has given up the ghost at just over one year. I find that incredibly poor quality. My old Sennheiser lasted years. Is this the input of Addidas? Or has Sennheiser's quality simply plummeted anyway? For something that cost £50 I find the product work-length disgraceful.
I've already purchased a replacement, but I shall not purchase another Sennheiser product again. I don't like wasting money on tat.
on 1 December 2012
a notch above the yellow ones (in terms of sound quality)- which lasted me a year
I run 60+ miles a week and they hold in really well despite off road hills and plenty of perspiration

My only criticism is that the buttons on the in-line can barely be operated with fingers and not at all with gloves