Format: DVD|Change

on 26 February 2013
I have already recommended this movie to about 20 people in person- at least 5 of whom I know have gone on to watch it and bought copies of their own. When you find out such powerful information as this movie delivers it is just a crying shame not to tell everyone about it. I stopped eating meat last year after my Dad was diagnosed with stage 2 oesophageal cancer and we did a lot of research into the health benefits of a vegetarian/vegan/macrobiotic diet on cancer sufferers. One year later my Dad is cancer free and the doctors were amazed at his recovery and couldn't believe his response to treatment. We firmly believe this change in diet played a major part in his recovery on account of the reading and research we had done. This movie just reiterates the amazing health benefits of a plant-based diet. It advocates a vegan diet in essence as the focus is on cutting out both meat and dairy but when you weigh up the dietary changes against the threat of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc, I think the change (even if gradual) is worth it. It is not a movie that is just telling everyone to stop eating meat- it provides you with many powerful facts that enable you ultimately to make up your own mind.
on 22 September 2012
I was initially put off from buying this because it is erroneously listed as region 1- US only, but on checking the Forks Over Knives website (Which don't export outside the US), they confirmed it as region free, so I took the plunge and ordered it from Amazon. What causes the confusion, I think, is that the format is NTSC- the US TV format, rather than PAL, the UK one- but most modern DVD players will play NTSC region-free DVDs with no hassle, and such was the case.

Now about the film- I was first alerted to Caldwell Esselstyn's work via a Dean Ornish book, as I was diagnosed with heart disease in 2011, and didn't like the risks inherent with heart bypass surgery, which I was advised to have, so I sought alternatives. This film lays out, clearly and comprehensively, the health benefits that can be had from a wholefoods, plant-based diet, and how it can help reverse the effects of most cancers and heart disease, and there is plenty of science in there to back it up, set out in easy-to-understand terms. Suffice to say that after already undergoing a vegetarian diet for my heart, this film convinced me to take the last step and go completely vegan. I have, definitely, felt the benefits- already, my energy levels are much better, and so far I've been able to stop one of my medications, and will hopefully be able to stop the rest next year- not bad for someone who was recommended a bypass- forks over knives, indeed! This diet DOES work, and the film will help convince anyone who has any doubts about this at all. For anyone wanting to see this film- and I think anyone who's seen 'Supersize Me' and wanted to know if there was another way would be included in that number- don't be put off by the mistaken region information- this DVD will play ANYWHERE, so go buy it and watch it, your heart will thank you.
on 26 March 2013
This is one of the most important films I've ever seen. It's a huge eye opener into nutrition and disease and I for one was very grateful to have seen it. I had no idea it would have that affect on me. I have changed my diet accordingly and feel healthier and happier for it. It's an education and an investment in the future. Highly recommend. But apart from the info, it's fascinating and entertaining.
on 26 September 2012
This DVd changed my life for the better. Its hard not to go round recommending it to everyone that I know. Since watching it - I have discovered a huge body of research supporting the evidence presented here. Watch it - its an hour out of your life. It not boring for 1 minute. And it is likely to increase not only the length but the quality of your life in a really really good way.
on 12 February 2012
It surprises us what nutrition our bodies really need and what the meat and health industry have been telling us. Me and my husband now are transitioning towards a vegan diet and a more healthy lifestyle. We recommend this DVD to everyone who really cares about their health and looking for a lifetime solution to their health issues.
on 5 August 2012
One of the best documentaries I have ever seen and I urge everyone to watch it. We should all know how the food we eat has been produced and the effect it has on our bodies and health, but this documentary clearly demonstrates that there are many myths that people believe. And at last there is a film showing the truth.
on 15 April 2015
Absolutely CHANGED MY LIFE! And, of course, the lives of so many innocent beings. So many health issues gone! Pains gone! Energy soaring! Weight (fat) gone!

This truly IS the way humans are meant to eat. I've worked in hospitals and operating rooms for many years and witness the results of our animal based diet and the toll that it takes on the human body. It's what we eat, it truly is! I know it's hard to believe and not an easy change to make, especially when most of us grew up believing that milk and meat were good for us. But, trust me, they're the worst. Our bodies are NOT designed for these types of food.

We have a long colon (not short like dogs & cats), our enzymes, our teeth... they're all designed for fruits, veggies, starches (like potatoes, rice, beans, lentils, corn). We lost a pound a day when we switched over and we weren't even exercising! That's because it's "about the food". My partner used to cycle 40-50 miles a day to try to lose weight and he never lost an ounce until he changed the way he eats. Now he eats TONS of potatoes, veggies, fruits etc and has lost over 70 pounds! And, that's just the beginning.... you really have nothing to lose.... give it a try for just 4 days and you'll be amazed!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 February 2014
Based in part on the results of a ground-breaking observational and epidemiological study on nutrition and degenerative disease in China, in the late 90s. by 2 leading scientists, one American and one Chinese, this film pulls no punches and does not pussy-foot around the links between obesity, diabetes, many cancers, coronary heart disease, osteoporosis and other degenerative conditions, and the typical Western industrialised MacDiet. That is, a diet high in artificial processed foods, heavily laced with saturated and hydrogenated fats, corn syrup and other sweeteners, salt, meat and dairy produce from factory farmed methods, heavy on the additional growth hormones, antibiotics and fed on pesticide rich vegetation as the least offensive option. Several recent food scandals showed factory farming has also resulted in herbivores being fed ground up animal remains in order to boost weight, with predictable results.

This is a documentary and educational film which takes that study, and others, hooking up Colin Campbell, one of the aforementioned scientists, and author of the mainstream book brought out from those findings, The China Study, with work done with seriously ill patients, treated by radical changes in diet, rather than pharmaceuticals.

Colin Campbell, co-author of The China Study and clinician Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn go further than linking our additive rich, tampered with, factory farmed chunks of flesh rich diet as the prime cause of the rise in degenerative disease. Their evidence heavy material convinces that whether heavy meat and dairy consumption is processed or of more natural, traditional provenance, it is the high protein concentration itself which is the problem. There are some sobering cross-over lab studies cited around high levels of protein switching on and low levels of protein switching off tumour development. Sure, these are lab rat studies, and we do always have to question the validity of studies applied to one animal being extrapolated over to another species, but, sobering and thought provoking.

This is of course not new material - there have been many, smaller studies, reaching the same conclusion. What is interesting about The China Study - and this film based largely around those findings, is that both Campbell and Esselstyn, nutritional scientist and clinician, respectively, are not vegans on ethical grounds, or banging a drum for their dietary beliefs through vested financial interests. Rather, both of them, originally from farming (cattle rearing) stock, CHANGED their views because of the evidence they found - Campbell from a life-time in nutritional research, initially espousing the we need more protein line, and Esselstyn working at the start with seriously ill heart attack patients who were so far down the line there was little that could be done for them except a dreadful cocktail of surgery or drugs which were not expected to extend life beyond months. Years later, survivors both from his initial cohort, and later patients, tell their own surprised and miraculous (to them) stories of the rapid and positive changes in health caused by moving to a plant based wholefood diet.

As this short, direct, fierce and sensible film wears on, other reasons for vegetarianism are woven in, beyond the compelling evidence for personal health. These include some references to the ethical arguments, the arguments around the waste of resources in terms of land as the clearing of rainforests to provide arable land so that the developed world can continue to eat itself to unwellness continues apace. They lay out information about starvation in some parts of the world happening precisely because resources are going to feed the animals that will feed the haves, rather than the land being used for plant material to feed the have-nots of mankind directly. There are also the economic arguments about the unsustainable costs of healthcare in the developed world, as more and more expensive pharmaceutical drugs are seen as the cure for, or control of, degenerative and debilitating conditions which have been caused by our poisonous diet.

Not to mention tie ups between the interests of big pharma, big agri, and politics.

The film makes the telling case that logic, ethics, evidence, environmental concerns all point to a simpler answer. In the words of that other politics of food prophet, Michael Pollan

Eat Food. Eat Less of It. Eat More Plants

This is not a film presented by sweet hangovers from the love and peace brown rice, flowers in the ringlets and lentils era - this is hard edged, well argued, with plenty of evidence from all sorts of surprising people, including a group of fire-fighters, medal winning runners and a rather well-muscled martial arts experts, that wholefood plants based diets are for seriously fit people. In fact, I thought this film was putting a stake through the vampire heart of the steak-and-pharma industries.
on 1 March 2013
At last the video that should be on shelf of everyone who values their health. Be warned ; This video will change your life, for the better. Dare to be healthy!!!!!
on 24 February 2013
inspirational DVD, can change your life. highly recommended to anyone wishing to improve their health and longevity through diet and lifestyle.