on 11 September 2010
This is a truly fantastic film. Wonderfully funny, cleverly scripted, brilliantly acted and a great story. An absolute must see film.
on 5 November 2010
So amusing. Totally kiwi. Saw it twice at the cinema, so good. Havent met anyone who didn't like it. I badly want to buy it, but £26! I'll wait till christmas!

Set in east cape, north island.. near raukokore in the 80's. Kid Michael jackson fan waits for his hero dad to get out of jail and take him away on adventures. His dad turns up.. the story begins.. wont ruin it

Silly, emotional, retro style (got to love the mikey j references).. such a good comedy. His dad (director of film too) is the highlight of the film.
on 24 August 2011
I enjoyed the quirky Eagle vs Shark and watched this not realising it was the same director, but all the quirkiness is there again; this time even better! This was an absolute joy to watch; the acting by the two lead children is stunning. This is one film I'll be watching more than once. (More information can be found at IMDB)
on 10 November 2014
I'd call this a drama with a lot of humour in it, rather than a straight-forward comedy, The main theme is the transition from the young child's view of their father being the best dad in the world to the more disillusioned view of a teenager. It also captured what it's like when a child loses their mother at a very young age well - speaking from unfortunate personal experience.

Brilliantly observed writing and the kids are superbly directed so it didn't feel like they were acting.
on 7 April 2015
This is a joyful and very funny film. It's also very different from the Hollywood major release films. I'm very glad I bought it and I know that I'll be able to watch it several times and still feel the joy and perhaps even see something more each time.
on 8 September 2015
Good family film all be it predictable. Take one goat money and you know what is about to happen. That said I enjoyed most of it. The highlight is the last 3minutes. They were amazing and I gave it 4 stars for that alone.I would recommend it to anyone as its a nonevasive film. Worth the money
on 27 December 2012
Item arrived after the time specified, but no issue there as it was the Christmas rush period so I did expect it to arrive after Christmas day. I was a little worried when the item arrived from Poland and everything was written in Polish on the DVD however it is exactly what I ordered and there were no subtitles (which was another worry) or fault with the DVD. This is a Region 2 DVD. A great movie over all and recommended to all ex-pats or to those just wanting to watch a Kiwi home grown film.
on 24 April 2014
This is a fantastic movie that makes you feel good at the end of it. Even though it is light hearted it has some deep meaningful scenes. I have bought two copies of this so I can pass one on to others. You will never regret watching this movie.
on 30 October 2013
Some of the one liners are absolutely brilliant. The kids dad is so so funny. Can't say enough about this film, watched it by accident and was hooked after 5 mins! Definite must watch if you're into comedies!
on 12 April 2014
A fabulous film very typical of a part of New Zealand life! Comedy and tragedy combined! We will watch it again!