Customer reviews

on 16 February 2013
Okay I read tricked and trapped before buying this, which should go in between the two, its fine and written well, however I don't think its required reading in anyway if you have any kind of imagination, plus its a novella so certainly doesn't feel like the the same value as the books for the price point. Its well written certainly not a bad read in any way however.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 September 2012
Set 6 years after the events of Tricked, this is a little 90-odd page kindle-only novella, really a story of Atticus and the Morrigan dealing with old complications, and setting the scene a little for Book 5, Trapped, coming in November 2012. There is very little Oberon the wisecracking dog (although he does steal every scene he is in) and even less Granuaile. But there is method to this supposed madness of leaving out everyone's favourite sausage-loving canine and red-haired apprentice: we get to really focus on Atticus' past life, how he became the man he is, and his relationship with the Morrigan.

There a few interesting revelations, and some nice little character moments. Importantly too - and on a spoiler-free basis - some past history gets cleaned up in a more or less satisfactory and realistic fashion (given we are talking urban fantasy with gods and the Wild Hunt here).

Really, if you read and liked the Iron Druid Chronicles so far, this is worth reading: for a fistful of dollars you get an hour or so's entertainment, and a nice little look ahead at some of what will probably be relevant in book 5.
on 17 September 2012
I may seem a bit harsh saying this, but I find a lot of mid-series novellas to be unworthy of the e-ink they're displayed in. Most of the time, the stories within are so much padding and filler with no progression to the characters or the series as a whole. And I can understand why; you can't really have something major plot-wise happening in a novella that some people see as 'optional' reading. It will be far too confusing come the next book trying to explain what happened during the break.

However, you've got to give the people who do fork out for the novella (not me, obviously) something worth reading. And this novella did just that. It gave a surprisingly revealing glimpse into Atticus' feelings for Granuaile, as well as a closer look at the beautifully terrifying Morrigan.

I have to confess, I'm finding Atticus' befuddlement over things with Granuaile extremely sweet. He's sounding more and more like a man suffering unrequited love by the day. And even though both of them have been heading out at weekends over the last six years of Granuaile's training for 'booty calls,' it seems it's becoming more and more unfulfilling for Atticus. And those guilt ferrets really are b******s.

As I mentioned earlier, Atticus and Granuaile--going under the amazing secret identities of Sterling Silver and Betty Baker (thanks to Coyote for that one)--are approximately mid-way through Granuaile's 12-year training to become a druid. If you recall, at the end of the last book, Tricked, Atticus suffered some damage to his healing tattoo on his hand (giant mutant cockroaches will do that to you), so when the Morrigan turns up with an offer to repair it, he accepts.

You'd think at 2100 years old he'd know better than to trust the Morrigan by now. Guess not. Naturally, madness and mayhem ensues with much hilarity.

What seems abundantly clear to me whenever I read anything by Mr. Hearne--other than the fact that he is a comedic genius of course-- is that he really has a great appreciation for the mythology his series is based around; Norse and Celtic mostly. He hasn't simply chosen it because it's popular or because it comes with ready-made characters to draw from. He really seems to just love the old stories and creating his own interpretations and retellings of them. And I, in turn, enjoy reading them too.

For fans of the series, I'd definitely recommend picking this one up. It was lots of fun and surprisingly enlightening.

4 Stars ★★★★
ARC received from the publisher for an honest review
on 10 October 2012
I really like this series and even though I purchased this novella by mistake, I'm still pleased I did! It's a nice little story involving our favourite Druid spending some "quality time" with the Morrigan to heal his tattoos. The things I liked most about this book were the show of emotions from Atticus regarding Granwaile and Morrigan regarding her general personality traits. It's a nice, generous read preparing us for the next book, set 12 years after the last one. I love Hearne's wit, knowledge and all things Oberon.
on 10 September 2012
A good taster and set up for the next Iron Druid novel and while it could have been included as a prologue to the next novel I appreciated being able to read it now. I can't wait for the outworking of Atticus' agreements in this.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 August 2016
Often, these smaller tales between bigger novels aren't worth reading. They are usually stand-alone adventures that do nothing to advance the overarching plot of the series. However, I am pleased to say that this outing bucks that trend.

6 years after the events of the previous novel, Atticus is paid a visit by the Morrigan to deal with some unfinished business and to have an important meeting. Now, I am not saying that these events have any immediate bearing on the rest of the series, but I have a distinct impression that at some point in the future the outcome of this meeting will play an important role in Atticus' story.

That made this short adventure a quick pleasure to read.
on 7 November 2012
Became a fan of Kevin Hearne's work though Audiobooks and ended up buying all the reading material.
In this Novella it's a filler and a teaser (Sorry No Spoliers)for a potential route The Author may take.
Having said that it does show that Atticus O'Sullivans actions do have FAR REACHING consequences. AS a Stand Alone Novella this is nothing that spoils or detracts from the Iron Druid Chronicles, as "Canon" it fits right in and works. Easily enjoyable with the same writing voice prevalent in all his works.
on 10 January 2015
So glad Kevin Hearne did an inbetweenie and of course like all the other Iron druid books it was great but can we have more, like an inbetweenie explaining what happened to Granuaile when she was tested by Morrigan and Brighid while Atticus was fighting the Norse gods, and surely a 12 year training could provide us with another novella?!
on 19 May 2014
I absolutely loved this story, a perfect little fix in between full books. I enjoyed hearing the story of how Atticus came upon Immortali-tea, but my favourite part was the Monty Python references that had me sniggering out loud each time.
I only wish that this had been an entire novel, so I could read it for longer.
on 27 May 2016
I love this series! The stories are very well told, full of humour and great battles. Oberon, Atticus and Granuaile are all brought to life and the mythology in here is very varied. I can't wait for the next instalment so I can get my fix. I have reread the series multiple times and listen to them on Audito book as well.