on 18 September 2012
Being new to road cycling I needed some advice about training. I decided to buy this book and I am incredibly pleased with it. The book is a fantastic resource of practical information. It covers all aspects of cycling including posture, diet, recovery, racing and attitude. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in realising their potential on the bike. My heartfelt thanks to the author for sharing such a cracking book.
on 28 October 2012
Repetitive at points but over all full of no fuss advice from a world champion. This advice will be useful even if cycling isnt your main sport. Well worth buying and reading even for people who cycle just for fun like me.
on 7 January 2013
Waffely and verbose from start to finish with a strong whiff of Obree's eccentricity throughout. Don't buy this if you're looking for step by step training plans, do buy if you to get a little closer to the mindset of a winner and champion. Having read this you'll realise that, far from being the washing machine bearing bodger we've come to see him as, Obree possesses an attention to detail in everything he does that would make Chris Boardman wince. Obree also happily slaps the face of the pseudo scientific marketing that the glossy cycling press thrives on, especially in terms of equipment and nutrition. Are there marginal gains to be had from sardines on toast?? We'll let Obree and Sir David battle that one out. Obree is a one-off who did it his way and won. The ultimate message I take from this is not to rest until you find what works for you and I'd be surprised if there's anyone out there that can't take at least something from this and add it to their own program.
on 3 October 2012
This is the first cycling training guide that I have actually read cover to cover. The writing style was relaxed and personal, it felt as if Graeme was sat in a chair opposite me offering guidance rather than throwing numbers and wattages my way. The book offers guidance rather than prescription. There are no charts, programmes or session details. Instead Graeme provides a "philosophy" for training covering all elements of the cycling psyche. It's up to you to take his methods and turn them into your own training programme, including modifying your turbo trainer to meet his critical expectations!

The book is readable in its own right as the reader gains an insight into Graeme himself and what makes his legs go round. I've taken a lot of advise from it, but more importantly enjoyed reading the manual as a standalone piece of writing.
on 23 September 2012
It is a very rare combination to have a world champion, writing with humility, and writing about their own techniques that lead to their incredible performances.

Graeme is in so many ways the peoples hero. He is not surrounded by teams of scientists and enormous technology budgets. None the less, he is always pushing at the boundary, and reminding us that though technology has certainly shaped the sport of cycling in recent years - the fundamental basis of all this is still around our own limitations - both physiological and psychological.

The book is written in a very straight forward way, is an easy read, and feels like you've stumbled across a 'secret training manual'. It has been an addictive read.

After reading the book, in many ways I feel like I've been taught how to fish, rather than just given one.
on 9 January 2013
This is a useful short read in one go and you can reference the individual chapters you may need at a time through your training.
This is predominantly a scientific and very focused approach to training for a cyclist that wants to win by identifying and helping to eliminate the variables that could cloud your record of progress of improvement.
I am a recreational cyclist but some of the tips can help me improve my general techniques too.
I enjoyed the book; it was short, understandable and informative from a person who has experience and an inquisitive and analytical mind. His advice doesn't seem to be tainted by commercial pressures to sell more cycle related stuff that mostly makes little difference.
on 8 December 2012
The Obree way is a smashing read to understand what made Obree such a phenonenal cyclist. No fancy gimmicks, like many I buy books hoping they will make me fitter and faster but in the end it is hard graft that does it... This shows one way to do it... Definitely a hard way. I'm newish to road cycling and regularly get dropped by my club cycling mates but even they have noticed a big difference in my performance... I'm not hard enough to do any more than a fraction of what Obree did but it does work and I found his pedal technique has made a big difference... I can't believe how poor my pedalling was and I didn't even have a clue.
on 21 September 2012
If you know anything at all about Graeme Obree, you'll know that he doesn't do things in a "conventional" way, but you can't argue with his results. This is a short, very readable book covering bike setup, training, nutrition, mental preparation and more. If you want to improve your cycling with solid, down-to-earth advice from a legend of the sport then The Obree Way is highly recommended. It's so good I'm even looking forward to doing some turbo sessions!
on 27 December 2012
I think you need to study Mr Obree for a bit before reading this book. He's an undeniably talented chap, blessed with an excellent brain, and an obsessive personality. He does seem to latch onto an idea or concept and develop it through to a quite absurd level of logic. Really, he's an engineer trapped in the body of a cyclist.

This book isn't, strictly speaking, a training manual. A training guide would be a better appraisal. It is an explanation of what he does, and more importantly, why he does. Aside from the bit about turbo trainers, there is no 'you must do this' to any of this book. Simply 'I do it this way' and a reasoning why.

This is what makes this a great book - it inspires you to analyze what you're doing, and most critically, why you're doing it and to what end.

I still can't do the breathing technique he's created though.
on 13 November 2012
I bought this book about a month ago and have been following Graeme's advice and training "The Obree Way" since then. The book was easy to read and easy to follow but don't be fooled....although endless hours in the saddle aren't required I've found the prescribed workouts very very hard work! The book itself was somewhat shorter than I expected but that's probably just because the book isn't full of mindless nonsense about the latest bit of high tech kit. I found the section on turbo training and set up particularly useful. I also loved the way Graeme dispelled many of the myths surrounding expensive bikes and fancy food supplements. I'd recommend this book for anyone wanting to improve their cycling but you have to be prepared to work hard!!