on 1 July 2015
This really is a first class box set. The picture quality and sound is top notch, especially on the earlier films, and the restoration job performed is pretty much faultless. I completely agree with the other reviewers who have gone into far more detail on those aspects, they really have to be seen to be believed. There are a couple of minor niggles that take the gloss off but only a little bit. The first is the bonus disc and, more precisely, the Being Bond segment. This was quite a draw for me as I thought, with it being the 50th anniversary, it would feature new interviews with the six actors who played Bond giving some insight into the role. Sadly, what you get is a 3 minute compilation of bits from old interviews that you've probably seen elsewhere in the past. It's very disappointing. The other slight letdown is the Quantum of Solace disc. This is basically the regular blu ray with a different label stuck on top. This means the menu doesn't match all the other discs, it is the only disc to contain trailers for unrelated films (none of the other discs have any ads or trailers) and it is also the only disc not to contain a commentary track (there is a commentary on Casino Royale, despite what the Amazon listing says). This just feels lazy in comparison to the other 21 films and does elicit an "Oh" when seen for the first time. As I said, these are minor niggles and you shouldn't let them detract from the superb collection that is on offer. If you like Bond, you'll love this set.
3 people found this helpful
on 3 February 2017
Great collection , well worth the money , and all refurbished , digitally , they look and sound excellent on our Marantz speaker set up with our panasonic viera TV. Goldfinger is, I think, the best , with You Only Live Twice (set in japan) second. This collection is, like the Star Trek DVD Blu Ray Box set, well worth the money and enjoyable to watch the different Bond stars , Sean Connery , in my view, standing out as the 'real and one and only true James Bond'. If you are a Bond fan , this collection is a must - digatally enhanced and a joy to watch.
on 6 January 2015
This is a magnificent set. The quality of the film transfers to Blu-Ray is in my opinion generally very good and the films look marvellous because of it, the sound has the limitations of the time the films were made, but is definitely better than in previous prints that I have seen.
The package itself looks very handsome on the shelf and I like the way that the discs are stored and presented.
The absolute best part of this set though is the huge amount of extra features that are available on each disc as well as the extra disc dedicated to them. There are far too many to go into in detail but some of my favourites are the commentaries with surviving crew members on the early films, the hour long TV special from you only live twice that is so totally mad that it must be a product of its time and the image gallery from Thunderball with the exotic location shooting.
Every Bond fan should have this set as the bedrock of their collection!
on 21 August 2015
Fabulous - bought as a gift and it's great! When there's nothing good to watch on TV we all get the Bond set out.
Until the new ones were released, this had a section for Skyfall (as the disc hadn't come out yet), but the section is there for it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have any other room so when Sceptre comes out we'll have to buy a separate DVD - Obviously, this is resolved if you don't like one of the DVDs and you just get rid of them, but then of course (and to some), would ruin the collection.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 22 July 2015
Very good collection.

Personally, I think the film quality is a slight improvement over the DVD edition (I had the 50th Anniversary DVD set), but I'm no expert on that topic. Main benefit over the 50th anniversary DVD set for me is the size, I'd guess this is probably 1/8 the volume of the huge silver DVD set, far lighter to lift of thet high storage shelf, fare easier to open up the box and far easier to find the film you're looking for. Mind you, the big silver DVD box was a more imposing display item.

Definitely worth getting for a James Bond fan who doesn't have the DVD collection (are there any who don't?), possibly worth it for those who do.
on 17 January 2015
Only 5 films in, I'm amazed at the quality, the effort put in to clean up and upscale the films to full HD Blu-Ray is awesome, as with a few old movies on blu-Ray there often is a micro second of old SD original quality film, I'm sure they do it on purpose so we see how good the quality is,
I've been beaming them so far on my TW5200 Epsom projector onto a 120" screen, and still the HD quality is fantastic, the sound too is full surround Dolby 5.1 quality (my 10yr old surround system does a good job) if I remember the DVDs were still mono for most the early films,
Yes the set is now obsolete as "spectre" has started being filmed, but I don't care, just to have these classic films in glorious HD/sound was worth £76 I paid, that's £3.40 ish per film :)
on 28 December 2012
Well we haven't finished watching the awesome boxset yet. On writing this review we are up to The Spy Who Loved Me.
I used to work for a company that tested DVDs and Blu-Rays and we tested the whole remastered DVD boxset so I had a good idea what to expect form the picture of the old films in the set. I personally didn't get to watch any of the first 15 or so all the way through at the time but when performing the tests I did do I got a glimps of what to expect from the restoration job done on the picture of all the old movies and the full 5.1 remix of the audio which I know for a fact was done from all the original tapes of the audio tracks the were compiled to make the original mono soundtracks. My job was based at Pinewood at the time so not only did I work at the home of James Bond I got to help check that the DVD versions of each film worked properly.

Because this Boxset is Blu-Ray the picture and the new 5.1 soundtracks can be shown in all their glory without horrible picture compression and the sound can be heard with all its dynamic prowess
on 24 September 2012
Initially I was really disappointed with the set presentation - I wanted (and still do) standard blu-ray boxes for each disc, as this looks much more impressive on the dvd/blueray shelf.

But after considering returning, I was convinced by some helpful reviews and popped the seal (and the fact I really wanted them).

I have not been disappointed with the audio / video quality of the first 4 so far.
Video is superb compared to the DVD sets from early 2000.
Audio is also better, although some obvious issues with earlier films, eith voice being a bit soft and tinny special effects in Dr No. But overall, much better.

The book format is actually quite nice (enough detail in other reviews), except for not being exactly what I wanted.

So as a lover of the series and not a fan of the presentation, I updated my review to a 5*.
You may do the same if you are sitting on the fence.
on 28 December 2012
There will be more Bond flicks but there will be only one 50th anniversary!Over the years ive always shied away from buying a box-set considering the fact that there would be more films releasing and there might be discontinuity factor on the shelves.I guess the 50th anniversary edition provided that perfect platform and reason to buy the set to begin with.When it comes to quality,there is nothing more you can ask for.Mind blowing remastering,perhaps the best treatment that has happened to Bond movies till date.Pick up any title even the oldest ones,seems as if they were filmed just yesterday!HD sound adds to the supreme quality of each and every disc in the box.This also is perhaps the most well-packaged item i have ever owned.In the last sleeve they have also kept provision for yet to be released on bluray,Skyfall,an idea I think is simply superb!!Overall its been worth the wait.I for one need not worry about getting rid of some incomplete DVD collection of inferior quality because I decided to wait :-)
on 28 December 2012
This really is a stunning boxset.All the Bond films in glorious Bluray! The picture and sound quality really is amazing. Its like seeing the films for the first time. Dr No which is 50 years old(!) looks brand spanking new, the detail in the picture just incredible!
The Spy Who Loved Me wich always looked awful on DVD now looks cleaned up and the picture is pin sharp.
The actual films themselves vary in quality and obviously everyone has their own favourites and their own ideas as to what a Bond film should be, but they're all here in a beautifully presented package and up till now this is the best they've ever looked.