Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 26 June 2017
The characters were real and well created.I felt as though I nines them and thoroughly enjoyed their journey.Anyone who likes a character led story.
on 9 November 2013
I ordered this book because I'm quite frankly obsessed with Rice's previous novel, The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets, and I thought it would have a similar tone. It does, but just as Tara's star shines a tad less brightly than big sister Lucy's, the Misinterpretation of Tara Jupp feels like the slightly less attractive, slightly less interesting little sister to Keeping Secrets. But just slightly. If Penelope Wallace sparkles, Tara Jupp really just shines.

One of the things that made Rice's previous novel so appealing was the rich world she created around the main character, with a vibrant supporting cast and a blissful peek at a time and place long since past. 1962 London comes alive in the book though, and Rice paints a beautiful picture of just-out-of-step Tara Jupp crashing her way through that magical time and place. Misinterpretation could be called a quasi-sequel to Keeping Secrets, but just barely. A couple of the best secondary characters from Keeping Secrets make an appearance, but I got the distinct feeling that those who hadn't read the first book would be confused as to why they had to appear in this one at all. There are a few lines throughout this book that actually seem assume you have read Keeping Secrets first...and you know what we say about assuming things...

The Jupp family is largely unimportant to the book, with the exception of eldest sister Lucy and her husband. Frankly there are just too many of them, most of whom don't even receive a full page worth of story or dialogue in the lengthy tome (and it IS lengthy--nearer to 600 pages!). The superfluous characters and occasional typo in the text leads me to believe that it may have gone through a quick-than-usual editing phase, but it doesn't detract too much from the enjoyability of the story.

I loved the Lost Art of Keeping Secrets. I loved Penelope Wallace. I loved Charlotte, Harry, Aunt Clare, and Inigo too. I loved the world they existed in, the way they spoke, and I really, really loved the way that you could imagine seeing and feeling exactly what Penelope did.

I liked the Misinterpretation of Tara Jupp. I liked Digby, Matilda, Billy, Inigo, Brian, and Clover. I liked Tara Jupp too. But, unfortunately, she was no Penelope Wallace.
on 6 March 2013
This is a brilliant book- it's a hefty tome, but I found myself very much caring about the protagonist. I love sagas that span a period of time, and this does that- beautifully. I read it slowly, to savour the excellence of the writing- it's moving and lyrical!
on 1 August 2013
A well written, beautiful, moving, delicious treat of a book. I just loved it and was loath to finish it. I do hope there will be another.
on 24 March 2015
Tara Jupp revisits the world previously explored by Eva Rice in the Lost Art of Keeping Secrets. It's six years later and much-loved characters pop in and out like old friends. Although Tara is a seventeen year old girl, like Charlotte and Penelope before her, Rice's writing has matured beyond her earlier work and, if I thought of the Lost Art... as eating a cupcake on a sunny afternoon, Tara Jupp is like sitting in a bar drinking cocktails for the first time. There's a gorgeous kind of frustrated naivety combined with a childish wisdom about Tara herself and I was reluctant to get to the final page.

I thoroughly enjoyed delving into the 1960s and can't wait to discover another Eva Rice creation!
on 23 September 2013
Sigh! I have just finished reading this after what was a very long wait (I thought Eva Rice had disappeared of the face of the planet!) especially as this book was meant to have been released a couple of years ago as 'Dragonfly Summer'. I absolutely loved 'The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets', which I consider to be a classic and can't remember how many times I have read. 'Misinterpretation' took longer to get into than 'Lost Art', but I loved all the characters and the real feel of the age. Most of all it was lovely to meet Inigo again.
Please don't leave it too long, Eva, until your next book ;)
on 14 June 2014
I really got caught up in the atmosphere of town and country and the engaging characters. This was a wonderful love story like 'The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets'. I just kept reading.
on 20 April 2014
A thoroughly Good Book! A great story, well told. What more could you wish for? Well, the writing is eloquent and draws the reader along effortlessly. The setting of the 1960s is fun - and, in fact, very 'modern', as this era provides the perfect vehicle to explore themes and subjects with which we are all so familiar and take for granted now, but which were new then. The characterisation is excellent and interesting. The outcome is just right! READ IT!
on 1 September 2013
I've been waiting for this book for years since reading and falling hard for The Lost Art. I'm so disappointed with Tara Jupp that I could weep. Everything that made Lost Art magic on paper is missing. The warm and likable secondary characters; the amazing male love interest; the descriptions of London in the 50s (The Ritz, Selfridges etc); Charlotte...you won't find the same here (except for Charlotte because she features in this book as does Inigo, and both were such wonderful characters in Lost Art and shouldn't, I feel, have made a reappearance here in the manner they did).

In brief (though the synopsis does a better job), Tara Jupp, a vicar's daughter with an amazing voice, goes from her sleepy village lifestyle to 60s London because the music industries bigwigs believe in her and push for her to be a big star.

My main issue with this book is the unreality of it. And how convenient everything is, getting Tara to London from village life, the contacts she has, the way she's thrust into this new London life around celebrities and everyone worth knowing. Once she leaves the country (and this portion of the story, while slow-moving and slightly dull, still held promise for what I hoped would be the best parts) everything becomes one big mess, with too many people introduced to keep track off, too many self-important people without the heart and likability that I was yearning for, and this includes the protagonist, Tara.

This exchange sums it up my feelings about the unreality of it pretty well:

'I didn't think people actually said that sort of thing in real life,' I said.
'They don't,' said Inigo. 'This isn't real life, and don't you forget it.'

I still think Eva Rice is an incredible writer - despite my overall dislike of this book, her writing was the one thing that prevented my experience from being a complete letdown - this book just fell flat for me.
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2014
I bought the book as was cheap on Amazon and it sat for ages on my Kindle. I have just demolished it in 2 days and am sat here with tears and mascara down my face but a smile on my lips. I love the way Eva Rice writes and draws you in to the characters. Great book and I will be looking for all other books by the author.