on 21 August 2017
Thought provoking book
on 5 May 2011
Dhivan Thomas Jones' clear linguistic style gently unravels the complexity of Buddhist philosophy. Dhivan manages to explain the profound insights of the Buddha in a compelling way which allows the reader, even someone new to Buddhist thought, to consider them in the context of the modern world. This thought-provoking book incorporates questions and exercises at the end of each chapter to inspire readers to reflect on how Buddhist philosophy can make a difference in their lives. I think it is a book readers will reflect on and to which they will return time and again.
on 26 June 2014
... but perhaps it's just me.

Okay, I honestly put the book down when William Blake's poem Jerusalem, from a section called To the Christians was used. Jones says that 'for Sariputta the verses taught by Assaji can be compared to the end of that golden thread imagined by William Blake: "I give you the end of a golden thread, Only wind it into a ball, It will lead you in at Heaven's Gate, Built in Jersalem's wall".'

How silly I thought at the time, and put the book down. Now when I come to write the review of this book, I have checked two different versions online of Jerusalem and have found this quote instead.

P. 77 TO THE CHRISTIANS

Devils are False Religions.

" Saul, Saul, Why persecutest thou me? "

I give you the end of a golden string,
Only wind it into a ball:
It will lead you in at Heaven's gate,
Built in Jerusalem's wall.

5 WE are told to abstain from fleshly desires that we may lose no time from the Work of the Lord.

[...]

So, it is 'string' not 'thread'. So why change it to thread then? Or, poor editing? Whatever the reason I don't understand why a moment of buddhist 'conversion' is related to an explicitly Christian metaphor? Trying to shoehorn in a bit of classical poetry, doncha know.

Therefore, for me, this book felt quite confused, as there were several more instances where classical type poetry was used to signify something Buddhist. Didn't work for me, but others said that it was a good book.
on 11 April 2013
I am amazed at how quick this was on my kindle within minutes of paying for it. How great is that! No waiting for it to arrive in the post and I was going on a retreat where the man who wrote the book was leading it the day after I purchased my book on here. Brilliant book and amazing writer too.
on 3 December 2014
Bought as a gift for my wife it had been recommended by her uncle who is a Buddhist priest. Currently she is still reading it but she says she finds it very readable. She said she would recommend it.
on 3 November 2014
Excellent book, well-written, would recommend to advanced Mitra's studying buddhism, not for beginners
on 1 February 2015
The Buddha's core teaching brilliantly and lucidly presented. It goes beyond mere ideas and presents maps for spiritual development, and emphasising the need to experience wisdom through meditation rather than merely intellectually grasping at it.
on 21 January 2015
thoroughly enjoyed reading, highly recommended for anyone who wants to get a bit deeper into the Dharma.
on 22 October 2014
Outstanding
on 16 August 2014
Good postage and great quality, cheers.