Customer reviews

Doctor Who: The Dalek Project
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.99

on 28 September 2016
This graphic novel has many reminders in it, the Daleks are always planning ahead playing the long game, in this they do just that. As in the Daleks master plan, and evil of the Daleks, they don't do small, set in two time periods they exploit human weakness, chiefly power and greed.
The first world war is 100 years old now and no one living now remembers it, which is why a few stories here and there keeps it in our modern eye view. I will not give the plot away, save to say the Daleks have their own twisted logic driving the story. The drawings themselves are up to standard and convey the sense of place with colours and angles matching the story's progression. The only thing you could moan about is it's over in a good session, but at the end it does show sensitivity towards the horror of that war and how ordinary people got dragged into a conflict only the people in charge wanted. Like the David Tennant story the angel on Mons, it gets gritty, and has the same atmosphere of dread. This should go well with 'the only good Dalek' they now sit next to each other on the shelf. cup of tea, quite time Sunday, best read.
on 12 September 2012
Admittedly, I did fear a repetition of 'Victory of the Daleks'(the third Doctor Who Episode in the first series featuring Matt Smith as the Doctor) but I am very pleased that this is not the case at all. The only similarity is that it's about Daleks playing some part in a World War but that is where it ends (although there are some fun inclusions of cameos from the TV episode but those I am sure are included only for the nutty fans like me who watch and read anything with the word "dalek" in it).

The Daleks are back. This story features the Copper and Bronze Daleks from the RTD era and in my view that is a good thing, as I can't help but feel that the new Paradigm has been a bit of a mistake. But not just those, we even get a quasimodo Dalek (and once you've seen it, I'm sure you will agree on the name) and hords of so-called Proto Daleks, which are robotic versions of a Dalek (no Squid type lifeform inside). All a recipe for an enjoyable read, as the Daleks have ensured both parties in the Conflict produce these proto Daleks.

There are actually two plotlines, one taking place in 2017 and another in 1917 (during the Great War). It's Doctor Who, so the future plotline takes place before the main story occurring in 1917. I remembered another kind of "Dalek Project" in the serial "the evil of the Daleks" from 1966. In this serial events took place in 1966 and 1866. No similarities otherwise, but still I like it very much when wrters know their Who history and add such details as an extra bonus for the long-time fans while not distracting from the story for new comers.

The Doctor is executed very well here, characterised as Matt Smith had shown him to be in the series, so that is great. The Daleks are also done very well (besides the fact that I like them better in this version) here. There are also some nice other characters involved. I must say I also very much enjoyed the drawings and colours. Nice faces, expressions on the faces and, truly wonderful Daleks!

Another great thing is shown too: if the Daleks would truly have no organic living core inside of them, time lords would be able to manipulate them far too easily. And that's the most spoilery remark I am going to put in this review. For the rest I would advise all fans of the Daleks, and Doctor Who in general, to just go and read it! Highly recommended.
6 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 19 May 2018
I received this later than expected but it did come in good condition. The story I felt was Ok in parts but at certain times a little confusing. I was expecting a lot more from a Justin Richards story as I do like some other things he has written. Some of the pages have really nice art but there are others where you turn the page and it just lets the book down. Overall, I don't think I would recommend it but that's just me personally.
on 6 February 2013
Originally scheduled as a David Tennant story instead this graphic novel was shelved a few years back, probably because of the similarities to 2010's 'Victory of the Daleks' by Steve Gatiss. However, any such resemblance to that story is superficial. There are stronger connections to the 1967 Patrick Troughton story 'The Evil of the Daleks' by David Whittaker.
Nice to see the 2005 'NSD' Daleks back in action again and there are some superb steam punk variants on Dalek design in this story. The plot unfurls at a cracking pace and there are lots of booms, bangs and surprises on the way. Some reviewers have suggested that Matt Smith's Doctor comes across with a lot of David Tennant traits in this story: I can't say I noticed that myself. There is one point where the characters the Doctor meets (he is travelling alone in this adventure) who fill the normal companion role, seem to turn into question and answer machines. However I only noticed this on the second reading so shouldn't dampen the enjoyment too much.
on 29 September 2014
This book may be short but it is the wonderful. It tells the story of the dalek' s influence on human military history and what they planned to do in 1917. Once you start to read this, you won't be able to stop! One of the best doctor who stories ever, in a graphic novel form. I'd give it 1,000,000,000,000 stars if I could! Buy this book and you won't regret it.
on 23 June 2016
An interesting account of the Time Lords greatest enemies. With stunning graphics, and detail by attention, the Dalek Project is something incredible. Even though it was to feature David Tennant at first.
on 9 December 2014
Great storyline.

Would be better on a bigger screen than 7
inches.

Maybe look at how the Star Wars graphic novels are displayed.
on 4 May 2014
Doctor Who, Daleks and World War One what's not to like? The writer really captures Matt Smith' accentricities and phrases. As for the Daleks I have been a fan of theirs since 1963 so it was good to see the old school Daleks as opposed to the Mk 2 paraguins.
on 7 December 2016
good read
on 9 April 2013
Great book, but not accessible to my partially sighted son. Looks brilliant but wasn't quite what we needed to encourage him to read.