Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 May 2017
Great collection of songs, but title track is brilliant.
on 28 April 2017
excellent
on 9 September 2016
5 stars for the title track alone - the rest is ok
on 27 June 2017
New tracks sounding like old Joe Cocker, excellent.
on 1 April 2017
great
on 25 July 2017
Very pleased with this CD
on 24 March 2013
Another good album from Joe,he knows what he does well and sticks to it,this is not a criticism,but to say he does this very well.
Joe Cocker has still got it. I was 14 years old when With A Little Help From My Friends came out and stood me on my ear, and I thought at the time that Cocker's throat would be in shreds by the end of the song, never mind 44 years later. But no - all the power and emotion is still there in the vocals on this album and he shows that he is a truly great and enduring rock and blues singer. The band is excellent - punchy and empathetic with some fine guitar work, solid bass and prominent drums - and the production is very good. The production is rich with fine backing vocals which aren't over-done and you know that you are listening to a classy product.

The one problem with the album is some of the material, in my view. Much of it is excellent - the title track is a belter, for example, but some tracks like I'll Be your Doctor don't really add up to much. Cocker and the band give it everything, of course, but in the end fine performances can't really compensate for a weak song.

This album isn't an undiluted classic but is still well worth getting for the good stuff, of which there is a lot and which I've played and enjoyed repeatedly. Recommended to anyone who likes Joe Cocker's work or just enjoys fine, bluesey rock which is well produced and very well performed.

Addendum, 22 December 2014:
Thanks for everything, Joe.
You are beyond our help now, but your friends will miss you.
Go well.
on 28 March 2013
Don't get me wrong I am a Joe Cocker fan, and I bought this album on the strength of the 45 reviews which seemed to give it the best part of 5*. I always listen to a CD before downloading it to ITunes, so, on the night I received the CD through the post, I thought this would be a usual JC album where one or at most two tracks wouldn't make it on to my Ipod (e.g as with "No Ordinary Road"#. I've gone back now and read the feedback for this album, rather than just the 'headline' of a 5 star average from 45 reviews. I can't comment on the knowledge of the only other person to write a review and rate this album as worthy of 1*, they seem to know a lot more about JC's technical direction, I only judge the album from: a# the quality of the lyrics; b) the quality of the music/backing vocals around Joe; and, c) the quality of Joe's singing. I didn't rate a) and b) for 10 of the 11 tracks, which made Joe's voice immaterial, but even so through my headphones #and I'm not being bitchy here, honest#, I could swear it seemed he was often singing as if with badly fitted dentures. I was thought the opening title track was OK until the "Woa, Woa" refrain#?# kicked in and killed it. The only track I liked was the humorous 'Younger' - except where the words 'Younger' were inexplicably sung by some backing vocalists who - I presume - where chosen because they gave the right impression of sounding younger, but which SO detracted from the track. This is the only review I have ever written, because I think I felt so out of kilter with the masses who wrote in praise of the album. I do hope I'm not one of the 'silent majority' that broke ranks!
on 2 March 2013
Genuinely one of the best blues, rock, soul albums I've ever heard. Fantastic songwriting with sublime musicianship coupled with one of the most honest, heartfelt and grittiest vocal performances you are ever likely to hear adds up to a massive success for Joe Cocker.
If the press reports are accurate then this album is scheduled to be Cocker's swan song. If this is true he will have finished at the top of his game with probably his finest album ever! Truly fantastic Joe!