Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

on 27 June 2014
I was always sort of a fan of Deacon Blue and know their hits from the 90s, but this album - for me - is easily the best thing they've done. Simple but very effective, great songs and heartfelt lyrics. It relaunched their career - and rightly so. For fans - a must. For new enquirers - get this and maybe their Greatest Hits.
on 27 June 2017
Classic Deacon Blue - love this album!
on 30 August 2017
Excellent
on 16 December 2012
Another great album from a 'classic' band! I saw them in glasgow last week and loved the new album instantly. I highly recommend this album!
on 2 October 2012
25 years on from Raintown, Deacon Blue still know how to bash out a good old tune.

From the moment i heard Loaded all those years ago Deacon Blues albums have been in my collection. In the late eighties/early nineties Ricky Ross and the gang released the fantastic Raintown, When the World Knows your Name, Fellow Hoodlums and the ok Whatever you say say nothing. 11 years ago they released their last album Homesick which although containing some decent tracks, that Deacon Blue magic wasnt quite there.

So what would an album after all this time have to offer. I have been looking forward to the release for ages with some fear that The Hipsters would be a bit of a disappointment.

Far from it, this album has ignited my love of Deacon Blue, so much so that i am looking forward to the release of the re-packaged previous albums containing all the bonus material.

A quick run through

Here I Am In London Town - A gentle soulful start to the album (just as born in a storm was to Raintown) with Rickies voice over a piano

The Hipsters - First single release from the album, great catchy track - Shining, Falling, Glistening, Diving

Stars - Ricky and the beautiful Lorraine doing what they do best

Turn - potential single.

The Rest - rousing chorus, deacon blue from any era

The Outsiders - A standout track - one to sing a long to at concerts

Thats What We Can Do - 'We trust, We change, We move, From one place to another, cause thats what we can do, We talk, Forgive, We give - everything that love allows cause thats what we can do.' - beautiful song, well written

She'll Understand- pace slows down a bit on this one but another chorus you will be singing along too with Ricky and Lorraine in tandem

Laura From Memory - Another classy song with the emotional Ross singing his heart out over instruments you could listen to all day.

It Will End In Tears - One of those great deacon blue songs that fill out an album, not a classic but reliable db.

Is There No Way Back To You - Bit of a disappointing end to the album, but could be a grower in time

So -Whats my verdict? - The Hipsters, the album will not race to number 1 in the album chart. The Hipsters and other potential singles will not outsell one direction or coldplay. You wont switch radio 1 on in the morning and hear any of these songs and Deacon Blue will not get any mentions at next years Brit awards.

Do i care? - No - If One Direction are still around in ten years let alone 25 years i will be amazed. You kinda know what you get with DB - GREAT MUSIC, GREAT LYRICS, MUSIC THAT LASTS IN THE MEMORY, SOUL, HAPPINESS AND TEARS.

If The Hipsters can satisfy diehard fans like myself and attract a new audience who appreciate their talents then mission accomplished. I will give it 5 stars and hope it will not be another 11 years until we hear more new material from one of Scotlands treasures.
on 30 September 2012
Excellent album. Gets better with each listen. Well worth buying. Great mix of songs, some reflective and some upbeat tunes. All demonstrate song writing, singing and playing talent of Deacon Blue.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 September 2012
From the opening, plaintive "Here I am in London Town" the record settles nicely into a couple of poppy toe-tappers very like "Old" deacon Blue. It is perhaps only now that you appreciate the influence bands like DB have had as I detect everything from Mumford and Sons to Biffy Clyro in the stylistic and lyrical flourishes here. As well as the tracks mentioned above standout tracks include "Turn" which has a nagging insistence as it builds to a climax before easing itself out, the Springsteenesque "That's what we can do" and the chiming "Laura from memory". Lyrically there appears to be an acceptance for where Ricky Ross and co stand in the firmament, not angry or disappointed but comfortable in their world of great melodies and stories that will strike a chord with us all. It's not an unmitigated success however, "She'll understand" doesn't work for me, but other than that this is a brilliant album, a true return to form.
on 6 October 2012
What a lovely album. I was never a fan, never bought any of their albums but came across this on Spotify and it really has grabbed my attention and interest.

It starts well with London Town and no duff song on the album. After listening to it 3 times in one day it was a no brainer to buy it.
on 2 October 2012
I remember that Smash Hits once described Deacon Blue as 'the band your sensible older brother listens to'. I was therefore intrigued by the (I assumed) ironic title of 'The Hipsters' and decided to give the album a listen. Given how long Deacon Blue have been out of the limelight I was surprised at how fresh and commercial this album sounds. The title song 'The Hipsters' is A-list Radio 2 territory with lush sting production and a wistful hook in the chorus. 'Turn' is also a radio hit, echoing the style of many contemporary bands...or do many contemporary bands echo the style of Deacon Blue? Ricky Ross's pipes are still in fine fettle, evoking memories of when you first discovered the band. My only criticism would be that the record is too smooth. I understand that Ricky Ross is now a songwriter for hire and I feel it shows itself in the record - the chord changes and progression of the songs are a little too predictable. If it wasn't for Ricky Ross's stand-out vocals then the songs would be somewhat anodyne. Some grit is missing. I'm also disappointed that Lorraine has (again) been given no lead vocals whatsoever. Come on Lorraine! It's about time you stood up for yourself!
on 11 February 2013
Some great tracks on this album with great hooks - you'll be surprised how quickly you will be signing along with some new classics.

It's like finding a friend who you knew really well and lost touch with - this album will remind you how much you liked Deacon Blue