Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 June 2014
After a couple of ho-hum albums and numerous line-up changes, Robert Fripp finally got the ingredients right with this one. John Wetton (Family, Roxy Music, Uriah Heep, UK, Asia) comes in on vocals and bass whilst ex-Yes drummer Bill Bruford takes over on skins. David Cross adds violin and Jamie Muir throws in some weird and wonderful percussion. The results are terrific.
The album is book-ended by parts 1 and 2 of the title track and it helps give the album a 'complete' feel to it. The first part is a bit 'out there' with the signature improvisation/jamming that we expect from Crimson, punctuated with the odd melody and loads of Muir's percussion. The second part is rockier, more guitar driven and borders on heavy metal. It closes the album superbly.
'Book of Saturday' and 'Exiles' show off the band's songwriting side, with the former, a beautiful and wistful ballad. It makes a nice change to have some more accessible material on a King Crimson album. 'Easy Money' is almost a fusion of rock and reggae, but is classic Crimson: erratic, intense and powerful.
'The Talking Drum' is a nice instrumental precursor to 'Larks Tongues In Aspic Part 2' and segues well into that track.
'Larks Tongues In Aspic' shows King Crimson reaching the heights of their debut album. It's more focused, with a perfect balance of light and shade, improvised moments and genuinely well-crafted tunes. John Wetton is a singer who can actually sing and his bass playing, along with Bruford's drumming, just raises the bar from a musicianship perspective, allowing Fripp space to do his thing on guitar/mellotron. More importantly, unlike the previous three records, this album isn't just Robert Fripp and company. King Crimson actually sound like a band.
'Larks Tongues In Aspic' is the first album of a trilogy of not only their best albums, but a run of albums that held a nucleus of band members together for a change. It might have been short-lived, but it was a highly creative and memorable period in the band's history. This first effort from the 'new' band is a true classic in every sense.
Oh, and the album sleeve is cool as well.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2013
So this is what it sounds like! and I've had the LP since it came out in '73.
A splendid album and the '40th' CD + DVD package is very good; no point in my reviewing the music as this is covered here by others. The DVD 5.1 surround is great (Steven Wilson simply knows how to do this), and the CD sound itself is way above the vinyl (not something that is automatically the case). It really is as if I'd never heard it before, just so much detail and presence. And visceral power where needed. As good as the '40th' Court of the Crimson King reissue - if not better as there is more to reveal on this album. The only trouble is - it makes you want the others in the series.
on 7 May 2017
This is a lovely edition and the 5.1 mix is very clean with lots of depth in the audio mix! I really enjoyed listening to this album on my home cinema setup! The reason I bought this version was because the vinyl version had a pretty poor free download! Put it simply the digital download was ripped straight from a vinyl. But I guess I wouldn't have purchased the 40th anniversary edition had the download been any good. I really wanted to enjoy it in my car! I guess I can now as I have ripped this album onto my iPod!
on 1 May 2017
One of the best prog rock albums ever. If you don't have it then you really should buy it.
on 12 November 2012
Larks' Tongue has always been way up there as a favorite recording not only from a King Crimson standpoint but across the whole array of the musical spectrum. I won't go into the magic of the album as most fans can already attest to it's special character but I will testify to the awesome experience of hearing it in the DVD 5.1 format. It truly is a revelation to zone in on the extaordinary nuance inherent within the recording. You have the sense of really "being there", let in on the secret world that was till now reserved for the artists themselves. So, if you have the appropriate equipment, & already love this disc, do yourself a favour & check this out. You won't be disappointed!

Kevin.
on 19 July 2017
Best crimson ever good remaster decent price
on 1 February 2017
Great!
on 16 March 2017
I just bought this cd for the song "Exiles". Great
on 2 December 2012
The last disk from a legendary 40-year anniversary series. I would call "aspic" the most "drums" album of KC - that is here most of all various percussions and "shocking" sounds. As I also expected, percussions multichannel record is perfect. I would call the song "Easy Money" one of top standards "natural" (without electronics) multichannel sound.
on 27 October 2012
Hi I just received my copy , the 2012 remastered mix is excellent however when I call up the 5.1 surround mix it comes up as stereo. Is this a defect on my copy only???
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse