on 9 July 2013
Previously had a 212j model. Bought this for the extra streaming and larger memory. It certainly works well.

Still not really suitable for actual real time photography post processing, But for the recall of the storage of thousands of photographs music videos etc it works well. It has crashed ( hung) a few times while streaming to a Samsung Smart PVR. Codecs are not recognized?

I do have another WD streaming box i am going to experiment with instead.

I miss the the white colour of my previous model, shame there is no choice of colour on this model. As of writing your choice is anything as long as it is black.!
on 21 February 2013
I bought this device after several hours of researching NAS systems. I was torn between a QNAP (As I currently already own an older model and it’s been great) and the DS213+ which a friend of mine had recently purchased and raved about. I was fortunate in the fact my friend allowed my remote access to his system. I had a really good play on with it and in the end took the plunge.
I ordered my unit form Amazon and arrived in less than 48 hours of ordering. My main issues, whilst setting the system up, were nothing to do with the NAS; more to do with Network Issues and my VirginMedia Superhub. In the end I deactivated the SuperHub as a router and changed it into Modem Mode (Which gives you an IP Address of 192.168.100.1 – Not 192.168.1.1 as you’d expect) I connected the device to my wireless router and I ran the supplied software on a Mac (works on a Windows/Linux too) and it saw the device straight away. I accessed the control panel from a web browser and logged in with the details supplied and I was up and running. The drive setup commenced and I went with the default values. I used the Router Configuration software to enable the ports to be opened on the router, so it could talk to the outside world, and away I went. I obtained a free domain name using DYN.org so I could connect remotely without having to remember my IP Address. I also used the DNS updater in the control panel so that it would regularly update my domain name with dyn.org.
Since then I’ve linked to the NAS with a PC running Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac , Android Tablet and iPad, they all work great. Just search the App Store and Android Store for Synology and you’ll see several free apps. The ability to share photographs is great. I’ve also tried setting up virtual websites, which work like a dream. FTP is fantastic and with all this going on the NAS still runs smoothly with hardly any load on the CPU / RAM. The DSN 4.1 Interface is controlled via a Web Browser and is a joy to use. I would thoroughly recommend this NAS. The device has a load of capabilities and there are enough applications supplied to fulfill these.

I've only had it less than 12 hours and everything is now set up perfectly including a website and a mail server, ftp, photo sharing etc. etc. etc.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
If you find this review useful, it would be great if you could click the appropriate button below ;)
-------
I bought two of these from Amazon at different times and in both units the activity lights on the ethernet port do not light up. Everything else functions normally. Could any user comment on their units?

**update** Got a reply from their Tech Support after 3 working days (not bad). Confirmed as designed.

Thanks for your inquiry.

The two LEDs on the back of Ethernet Jack will not illuminated on DS213+ as HW design. However, you can determine if there's network traffic pass through from LAN LED, and see if it's blinking promptly.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,
Antoine Yang

**update** May 1st 2014

I've got both DS214+ and DS213+.
DS214+ has 2 added features 1) easier drive bay doors 2) faster read write speed,

For personal use DS213+ exceeds DS214+ for two main reasons.
1-Much lower power consumption - electric bill are crazy and going up and up.
2-SD card slot - extremely useful for the photographer.

The faster read write speed only works if you have a switch / PC that can handle feed data across two ports simultaneously.
When streaming HD films the bottle neck is the gigabit Ethernet and the neck is big enough for streaming 1 HD film.
on 16 January 2013
Not being an expert, I did some research in magazines and online. Synology came up several times and well rated. Selected DS213+ because is latest version (after DS212+). It is easy to insert the 2 hard disk, it is easy to push ON button, it is easy to follow the instructions online, it looks complicated when the box comes to your place, but at the end of the day it is easy and fun. What else, I stored all media, personal files, and I can access these via Ipad, and top of the top, via media share (TV must be connected to router). I recommend a RAID 1 set up when using 2 disk (1 disk copies to the second one for safety and backup purpose). Delivery of Amazon was perfect and speedy, no issue. I need other's comments online to build trust before buying, I hope this review helps you too. Enjoy!. Antoine
on 11 April 2013
After years of struggling with a Freecom dual drive NAS (frequent failures, having to reformat the drives, unresponsive and slow, lost media server keys, etc) I finally decided to get something different. The hassle was just too much, and I could no longer accept the risks to my pictures, video and other data of something so unreliable.

After some research I decided on the Synology and, boy, am I glad I did. The difference between the old and the new is STARK. It is super-quiet, was dead easy to set-up on the network, is extremely fast and has lots of additional downloads to create a media server, iTunes server, etc. The web-based user-interface is functionally rich and a massive improvement over the Freecom's outdated GUI. There is not a single piece of information I can think of that isn't available on the dashboard.

A brilliant product overall.
on 1 January 2013
Bought this to augment my QNAP TS109 which was struggling with high quality video streamin

Performance is excellent, setup was MUCH easier than the QNAP and its quiet and efficient, highly reommended
on 4 October 2014
Pretty easy to setup if your reasonably tech savvy, looks great and great to have a backup... after much research I chose the Synology 213+ because it also has apps for apple devices and easy web access...
on 19 January 2013
Bought this as my home office NAS after colleagues recommended Synology products. Easy to setup and use. Noise level OK for home office and Synology provides lots of useful documentation via their web site. It has many features, which should satisfy most home users. Perfect for my requirements.
on 7 November 2013
Synology DS213+ is superb. I operate it with 2 3TB WD RED HDDs in Raid0.

Synology offers a nice Java based web interface, or I should rather say Operating System, because, indeed, it is actually an entire OS.

My router, NetGear DGN3500 (a 4 port gigabit Router/ADSL 2 Modem) is listed as supported by Synolgy but it requires manual setup.

So here is a brief (as brief as it can be) setup guide for synology ds213+ for internet access

1. Synology will automatically download and install it's OS during initial setup. However, my experience is that even if you uncheck the "create synology hybrid raid" option on the first screen, after installation synology OS (DSM) will start creating this hybrid raid "volume". They call the raid array "volume" to differentiate it from "Folders", which also can have two meanings in their software, the "shared folders" are something like partitions that can be allocated to specific users with specific privileges and then there are also just "folders", which reside within "shared folders" and have the normal meaning of folder (= a folder to put your files in). To create a different raid type, I had to wait for the hybrid raid volume to complete (apprx 10 mins) and then delete this volume and ask the software to "create" a volume. Then I was presented with the proper options to choose raid type.
2. To find the synology OS (interface) type find.synology.com in your browser. Simple as that.
3. To access synology from the internet you first need a "static NAS address". This does not mean a static address for your router and your ISP is not involved. This means that you order Synology to mandate it's own address to the router (i.e 192.168.0.10) and not to ask for the router's DHCP server to allocate an address for it. To create a "static address" you don't need to go to your router's menu, you only need to navigate to the synology's control panel > network icon>network interface tab and select manual configuration. Type in the address that the synology already has. (ATT: "advanced" users will frown at this advise, because the existing at this point synology NAS address will be one allocated by the router's DHCP, hence an address inside the DHCP's range. Strictly speaking, static addresses must be outside the DHCP's range. However, in a small home/office environment, DHCP connections are rather few and most if not all routers before allocating a new address to a newly connected LAN device they always check for already used addresses)
4. after you successfully transform your synolgy address from dynamic to static you must go to your router's interface. There should be an option for "port forwarding". Now this is a part of a router's "abilities" that I believe techies around the world "love" to keep "dreadful and complicated" for no particular reason. If you try to read about port forwarding you will be immediately fended off by acronyms and /or meaningless words, such as NAT , Service, Packets, "rules" etc so as to give up immediately... it is true that you could just forward the entire range of ports (1-65000 something) to your synology NAS address but that is not advisable.
Synoogy needs apprx 15-20 rules for full remote access. A few words about port forwarding (very briefly): Every time you want to access your own network (computer, nas, lan printer) from "outside" (=internet) your ISP "knows" only your router. And any command sent through your ISP will be addressed to your router. So if you want to see an image inside your NAS, and you want to do so from a friend's house, the best your ISP can do is tell your router "show me this image". But your router is not a NAS and it doesn't have an HDD... Your router must be told to forward this command to your router. All traffic coming to your router comes through "ports", or "channels". There are 65000 such channels but some very few are traditionally allocated to specific tasks... ftp commands are issued through port (channel) 21, web browsing commands are issued through port 80 etc. Your router can not be taught to forward specific commands to your nas but it can be taught to forward whatever comes through a specific port to the NAS.

for the Netgear DGN3500 router, you will need the following "port forwarding rules". You will be creating "custom rules" from the DGN3500's port forwarding menu. It is rather straightforward. "service name" is for reference, you could type anything you wanted!!!!

Num (#) Service name Start Port End Port Server IP address
10 Telnet 23 23 ""
11 MySQL 3306 3306 ""
12 SLAPD 636 636 ""
13 SNMP 161 161 ""
14 Syn Assist 9997 9999 ""
15 [...] 443 445 "" (normally only 443, but 445 is required by something else!!)
16 DHCP Server 67 68 ""
17 NTP 123 123 ""
18 Win File Srvr 137 139 ""

rules 1, 7, 18, 2, 15, 3, 17 are essential.

You may have read that the router's UpnP option must be disabled. It wasn't necessary for me.

5. So far you transformed your NAS's LAN address to static and you laid down some port forwarding rules from the router's interface. Now you need to move back to the sinology's control panel>router configuration icon> set up router button.

Set the router up! Choose a similar router to the one you have. Next, select the following services:
FTP, Share with mac, Windows file server, Web Station 80, Web Station 443, Management UI etc 5000 , NTP, management UI 5001
Next, choose synology's own free DDNS service. This DDNS service is your agent. Synology's DDNS (as any other DDNS) will be regularly informed by your own NAS through your own router for any dynamic internet address your ISP may be allocating to you. So anytime someone (hopefully you or your friends and not hackers) is trying to access your NAS through the address you choose ( x.synology.me for example) synology DDNS service will "know" your NAS's dynamic ip and will translate accordingly. So choose your synology address and that is all.

(for beginners) : your LAN (local Area network) has a local address of 192.168.0.x, where "x" is different for each device attached to your network and this can be "static" or "governed" (allocated) by your local router's "LOCAL ADDRESS ISSUING SERVER" (aka DHCP server!!). But your very own local network also has an "internet address" which differs from country to country and from ISP to ISP and is dynamically changed by your ISP's all mighty super huge DHCP server. This means that while your LAN's internal (local) address is 192.168.0.x your LAN's "internet" address may be anything (the numbers are actually regulated, the first 3 designate the ISP's country etc). a DDNS relies on YOUR NETWORK to "notify" it that your ISP has changed your router's internet address (your router IS in a position to know that)

How to access your NAS from the internet

1. [...] will open your WEB server and display your web page if you have set any up....
2. [...] will prompt you for username/password and will allow you to use your NAS's OS from the internet, including the file server (file station) , which is the best way to remotely access your files
3. ftp://x.synology.me will prompt you for password and will open your directory listing inside your web browser. But ftp is not a good way to access your files remotely, especially if you are not using a dedicated ftp client... images will not display thumbs, long file listings and deeply nested directories may appear scrambled etc. You will be better off using the "file station"

enjoy your NAS ... remotely
on 7 February 2013
I bought the Disk Station just before Xmas 2012 - and was very happy with it. As everyone says, it's easy to set up, quiet and feels like a quality product. So I bought 2 of the disks recommended by the Synology website (WD Red) and went to work.

Just over 2 months later and I've experienced 2 significant problems. First when I upgraded the DSM Operating System the management console reported that one of my disks was faulty. Scouring the forums, it turned out this was a common occurrence and that there was nothing wrong with the disks - so I selected the repair volume option and many hours later all was well again ... Until this morning when I noticed my Macbook reporting that it couldn't connect to the Disk Station. So I re-booted it and waited for it to untangle itself. In fact it has never come on again; it just sits with the blue power on light flashing away. Another search of the forums revealed that this probably indicates a faulty motherboard; a common problem with other Synology models - but not mine.

Still, having tried various suggested procedures to resolve the problem, I'm no further forward; It won't even switch off - I have to pull the cable out. All of which means I will have to return it - but I want another one. When it works it's a great product. So I'm really hoping that I've just been unlucky with this one.

POST SCRIPT - ONE MONTH ON.
Although the 'returns window' had in fact closed by the time I wrote the above, there were no quibbles from Amazon when requested the return and the replacement unit arrived the following day. It's been running beautifully ever since. Very glad I persevered. Upping my rating from 2 to 5 stars.
44 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

See one answered question