Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 19 May 2014
3.5 stars! I"ve read all this series and enjoyed them greatly - Ms Hoyt manages to avoid many of the usual historical romance clichés and norms, and her sex scenes have an earthy carnality that read well!

However, I really didn't take to Meg - she's decided she wants a baby so turns up expecting her husband-of-convenience to do the deed. She's never wondered why he married her when she was pregnant by another man, or bothered to find out anything about him. She sort of assumes he's old - which he isn't, and turns up planning to seduce herself pregnant - not talk to the man and try to see where this sterile marriage of theirs might go. She wants a baby and that seems to trump everything else.

So I didn't like her. and initially wanted Godric to tell her to take her thoughtless, selfish little self back to the country and leave him be. But he doesn't, she improves, and... well, read book to find out!

I enjoyed the secondary characters, - the thwarted dragoon, the intelligent companion, the ghastly heiress... I'll read on with the series because I rate Ms Hoyt as a writer, but for me this is my least preferred. Oh, and while I'm griping, the Ghost concept is taking over. The first 2 or even 3 of these books had the Ghost playing a minor role - now we've had 2, and I think the next one is also based around the Ghost. All fine and fair, but there's limit to how many death defying escapes across roof tops and speedy recoveries from broken bones and sword slashes I'm willing to read about. It's all getting a bit Superman or Batman - except that here we have Harlequin Man!
on 28 March 2013
Very few series manage to maintain there standards as they continue and it requires a writer with skill and imagination so if you are Intending to start with book 5, you are going to miss out on the nuances that make this a ripping tail.not all the books are equally good but all of them are worth a read.
This is the story of Godric and Margaret and their love story begins a few years after they were forced to marry (book 2), They meet when she holds him at gunpoint convinced that he the notorious Ghost of St Giles murdered her lover, fiance and father of her child. The hero Godric’s wife had died after a longterm debilitating disease and Margaret’s true love and father of her unborn child had dies at the hands of the Ghost of ST Giles. Lady Margaret lost her unborn child and has decided that she wants to be a mother so returns to London with her Sister in-law Sarah to seduce her reluctant husband and seek revenge.
So starts a complex tale in which all is not as it seems and they each uncover aspects of themselves and each other. The story is full of danger and lies from all the players in this story, Godric has to save his wife, uncover the murderer, rescue the Lassiesbeing kidnapped from the thugs of St Giles, avoids the dragoons and get his wife pregnant. Throughout the book we regularly meet with both heroes and heroines and secondary characters from previous books in the series. Enjoy, I did.
on 17 March 2018
Is there any gentleman in the ton who hasn't at some time been the Ghost of St Giles? They will be recruiting again as the current Ghost finds wedded bliss and hangs up his motley for good.
on 31 March 2013
Have read all the book in the series, 4 star as there were some sweet moments! had difficulty warming up to the heroine, She knew early on who was the ghost, could have been better, The hero was a lonely man as he kepy away from his step- mother and sisters. His wife was ill for a long time before she died. He was balckmailed into marrying the Margaret (the heroine).
waiting for book 6 Duke of Midnight.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 April 2016
St John's story. A slow-growing love story, a sparky heroine, a damaged hero and lively, engaging writing (with well-tempered erotic scenes). I enjoyed it.
on 31 May 2017
Perfect Thank you
on 30 November 2013
Lovely, splendid, contain all the things that I love and like.

I liked Margret, her personality how she was able to reach out to her husband and especially the reason she came to London.

I also liked Godric since the previous books someone who is so in love with his dying wife and so determinant to help others.
I liked him before and after he changed. I loved his jealousy, his ability to forgive and definitely his sacrifices to others.

I loved when the Hero and Heroine became as one <3
on 3 March 2013
I've loved this series but the thing that has really impressed me is that every book has been great and this was was no exception. Many series do tend to have few books not quite up to the mark. The characters in this book are great, Megs and Godric are so good together. Can't wait for the next book and love that the scene is set for the next book in this one.
on 23 April 2015
This was the best out of all the books I've read by this author. The same theme occurs through the Maiden Lane series and the plot is predictable.
on 12 November 2013
Though once into these series when reading they all have a tendency to drift off so not as an enjoyable read but you feel you must until the series finishes. Trouble is you begin to almost write the plot & story.