False Trail [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 23 February 2013
This is actually a follow up to a film from 1996 called `Jagarna' and this was originally called `Jagarna 2', but you don't have to see the first one to be able to follow this but it will help contextualise everything. It stars Rolf Lassgard as Detective Eric Backstrom, he is called to his familial town to investigate a suspected murder after a girl goes missing in very suspicious circumstances. The only suspect is the town's local human detritus and the cops hate him and are always trying to fix him up for crimes. So the objectivity of Stockholm CID is what they are looking for - enter Detective Backstrom.

Once Eric starts to do his investigation it soon appears that the local cops are probably not as dogged as he would like and things just do not add up on the evidence front. Soon he is at loggerheads with most of the police and some of the locals as he leaves no stone unturned to get to the truth and having to face up to the ghosts from the past and what he has both done and failed to do.

This is a great film, the cinematography is brilliant and the Swedish country side is amazing. A word to animal lovers there are hunting scenes in this and animal butchery which is completely real. Peter Stormare playing bad cop Torsten is actually brilliant and I discovered he was in `The Big Lebowski', so watch out for him. But the real star is Rolf Lassgard who pulls the whole thing along and balances the good cop routine with enough humanity to flesh out the character. There is a wide interest in Nordic films at the moment and if they keep making them like this then that interest is not going to wane any time soon.
88 Comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 April 2013
Oh dear, false trail was apt, because it was spoken in Norwegian. There was no indiction of this when I ordered it, so I was very disappointed with the movie.
55 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 May 2013
I appreciate being to access product such as this Swedish Norwegian co-production via Amazon's on-line service and select manufacturers who provide the likes of not only all region DVD players but also all zone Blu Ray players.
Years ago I saw the earlier film THE HUNTERS when our Canadian network SHAWCASE was in its heyday, promoting international cinema which featured story lines and situations and acting for the adult viewer.
In this sequel of sorts the lead actor Rolf Lassgard is given an excellent opponent in the shape of a local cop who epitomizes all that can be described as fascist qualities.
The story which involves the disappearance and subsequent murder of a local girl demands that the Stockholm based Eric is forced to return home to lead the investigation.
One irony is that while the corrupt cop TORSTEN has a convenient suspect in a wild man JARI, and does everything to insure his arrest, Lassgard's character ERIK is almost as eager to go after the cop Torsten.
The story is arresting because so many people are betrayed by those close to them; so many refuse to speak up and remain in denial, and so many cannot recognize the cunning, duplicity and ruthless of someone they have placed so much trust in.
I am not accustomed to so much foul language in a Swedish film, so perhaps this venture was actually a film not a television production as are so many of the YELLOW BIRD titles that appear even here in Canada.
I would not worry about the subtitles; simply go back as I did as the film's conclusion, and replay the first ten minutes or so.
I would also recommend this film for its wonderful use of location; it's a different look than what one sees in the Swedish and British WALLANDER teleseries.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 January 2014
I love the nordic movies, after seeing the previous dvd 'The Hunters'I then purchased the False Trail with Rolf Lassgard a wonderful actor.I didn't watch the movie until last week and was very disappointed that the dvd kept stopping almost freezing, at first I thought it might have been a problem with our blue ray player however when I tried other dvd's I had no problem I now wish that I had looked at the movie earlier as then I would have returned it and asked for a replacement , but hey! never had a bad dvd before.
I would reccommend the film it's extremely good.
on 31 March 2013
..as I type this. Not sure whether it is a 4 or 5 star film.

Five star because the scenery is wholly magnificent, joy just to look at it. The setting is well portrayed - the nature of life in a small northern community in Sweden - my Canadian wife said it reminded her of the Canadian outback which has very similar closed and remote communities. Beautifully filmed.

The acting of the leads is excellent - am a big fan of Lassgard and he is outstanding here - and Stormare is extremely good as well. Some of the other characters were a little weaker.

Four star because I found myself looking at my watch once too often. For me it was a one and half hour story in a two hour film. And my wife - who is quicker than me guessed the plot twist early on - and I lost a bet with her. She was right. Her comment this morning was - "it was weaker than I had expected"

I haven't seen the first in the series yet but will do when the DVD arrives. This is certainly good enough to make me want to see it.

OK - four stars I think.
on 30 May 2014
It's perhaps unfair to compare this with Jägarna, but since the original title is Jägarna 2, it's perhaps not as unfair as all that.

Much of the impact of its predecessor is the jolting introduction to a different Sweden from that portrayed in most other Nordic Noir films. If you were to watch this film first, you'd probably get much of that impact. But coming second, as it does, the viewer is less overawed by the all-pervasive Deliverance-like menace, and more focused on the plot.

And the plot, frankly, isn't as good - there are many conventional devices - and the denouement is disappointingly Hollywoodesque.

Still, this is a good thriller, and the menace is still there, though maintained more by scenes of violence than by less obvious means. The acting is a little uneven - I wasn't entirely convinced by one or two of the more minor characters.

Altogether, this is a slightly less accomplished film than its older brother, but that still makes for a thoroughly enjoyable evening in front of the TV.
on 9 June 2016
Wish we had known it was a Swedish film with sub-titles. Why can't the listings tell you this?
on 7 March 2014
I love Lassgård as Wallander and in his many films, but this show, False Trail, is just a little too cruel for me. Hunting shows aren't my thing. I guess it's good, just not my cup of tea.
11 Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 November 2015
The beautiful and bleak landscape of northern Sweden forms the backdrop for a battle of wills between two policemen investigating the disappearance and possible murder of a local woman. Peter Stormare gives a compelling and forceful performance as the volatile, feared and respected local police officer whose behaviour hints at unorthodox methods of policing while Rolf Lassgard is equally impressive as the world-weary but stubbornly dogged investigator who is ordered back from Stockholm to his home town to solve the case. Both men are forced to confront past behaviours as their disagreements become more and more personal. The narrative proceeds at an assured pedestrian pace as we gradually begin to understand what it is like to live in an isolated small logging town where the close-knit community appears to be riven with guilty secrets. Both the cinematography and screenplay succeed in conveying a sense of place (in particular the importance of hunting) while the director manages to achieve a gripping level of tension throughout. Highly recommended.
on 30 March 2013
I thought the story line and the acting was excellent. As usual the Danes have made another exciting film. We have brought a lot of danish dvd,s and have enjoyed everyone of them