Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 16 July 2016
Nice
on 16 April 2013
Never reviewed anything before so please have patience

My sister in law bought this for me as a Birthday Pressie....she knows I'm a Northern Soul boy......I'm 63 with bad knees but it doesn't stop me singing and tapping my feet.

If you know nothing about the genre.......It's informative and there is enough of the music from The Wheel to the Casino to help you to begin to understand the religion that is Northern Soul.

If you were or are involved in The Northern Soul scene it's a great insight into the politics behind same......It also explains the logic behind the Tony Palmer documentary......This is included as a bonus feature,although in my humble opinion, it's definitely not a bonus.

Russ Winstanley is wonderfully down to earth and honest about his time at the Casino. I'm too old to be a Casino Boy, so I have no favourites.

Ian Levine comes across as pretentious, he hasn't changed a bit.....I note there is no credit on the DVD sleeve for him.

Tony Blackburn....absolutely spot on.....he did bring "black" music to the UK radio listener on Caroline. I love his recollection of his Cameo appearance at Wigan.

Then of course there had to be one didn't there.....The guy who tells you he was the first to begin importing records in 1969 and it never happened before then.....Sorry mate you're a little late....I was importing them from Downtown Records in New York in 1967 and I was definitely not the first.

There is the reference to an amphetamine fuelled culture....it most certainly was.....

Enuff already....I have stories but this is a review not a book

If you buy this.....and you should.....watch the credits right to the end

Keep the Faith

DrDee
11 Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2013
came in the time stipulated enjoyed it very much took us bac to our youth. will be on the look out for similar items
on 29 August 2013
The DVD had a lot of interesting features about the scene and how it was, I thought a lot of the music that was played in this DVD was from the Wigan years and a little from the sixties and again in this DVD alot of opinions from people that think they knew everything from the scene Mr Winstanley was true and honest in what he was saying, Mr Levien for me does not care about the scene or what the music stands for all he is bothered about is making money from it, The way Mr levien speaks anybody would think he invented the Northern Soul scene he talks about the imports from America as if he was the only person that could get hold of them well i have news for Mr Levien imports have been in this country from the late fifties early sixties and for me he does not know a alot about the music because he has never once spoke about the original records of the scene that has been played around the north west since the late fifties early sixties, do your home work Mr Levien. Apart from this i thought that the DVD was excellent, Tony Blackburn, Marc Almond and the rest of the people that were in this DVD spoke with honesty, i would recommend this DVD to anybody that loves this music, it's just ashame that Mr Levien is in it because to be honest he just spoil's it full stop.
on 10 January 2013
A good mix of Past through to present Northern Soul. It explains where Northern Soul originated from and how it was brought to the clubs associated with the Scene over here in the UK. Lots of snipets of the music and dancing in the clubs, and memories of those early days up to the present. Thoroughly enjoyed this DVD and would recommend it to all those who have been involved in the music and dancing of Northern Soul .
on 1 October 2013
What a great DCD, if you're into the northern scene or just the music this is for you covering the origins if the scene and where the music comes from with commentary from the guys who started it all off. Fascinating and some good tunes too.
on 3 March 2014
Great to see the dancers and club goers talking about old times

Some good sounds too along with interesting good footage inside the clubs
on 8 January 2013
Informative as well as entertaining DVD that mostly covers everything I already knew having read/watched several books & DVDs on the subject. Some of the interviews I felt I had seen before I may be wrong.
However the interview with Tony Palmer of the wigan casino programme gave an insight into how the programme ended up in the format it did. Nice soundtrack too and well edited especially how the wigan footage was blended in with other material. Good to see the late Edwin Starr giving his version of events. Some of the film clips of the soul performers are quite ropey although the wigan clips look as if they have been tidied up.
All in all I enjoyed it.
on 3 November 2014
I was never involved in the Northern Soul era but my husband was and he reckons this is a very accurate portrayal; to most it was only the dancing and freedom, not the drugs. This was a very likeable film for the newly acquainted also!
on 15 March 2014
Some interesting if grainy historical performances by some of the more obscure artists.
If my memory serves me, once it came out that Lenny Gamble was Tony Blackburn everyone stopped playing that version.
Didn't like the pompous BBC programme maker with his typical condiscending attitude.
If you want a broader view of the scene get the Strange World of Northern Soul. It is produced by Ian Levine but don't let that put you off.
Ok for collecting but not great.