on 15 October 2012
Have been using Lonely guides for years but this was the first LP city guide I bought. I found it difficult to use and superficial. 1. The size and weight: too big and heavy to fit in a pocket which I find important when walking in a town, hence without a backpack and using the guide frequently (unlike in long backpacking trips when you use it to find key destinations and put back in your bag). 2. Very wordy making it quite difficult to actually find the key information to be able to focus on if you spend in the city a few days or even a week as I did (quite a few travellers can afford a luxury of spending weeks in one city I guess). 3. Missing key information such as for instance: a decent map of Brooklyn (eventhough they write it is a place to go in NYC now), accomodation details in Hoboken/ Jersey (probably the best deals near NYC, 12 mins travel from Manhattan which is less than from Queens or Brooklyn); no info on a Jewish district in Williamsburg which was my highlight of the entire trip). At the same time you can find plenty of details on luxury hotels in NYC which am sure LP customers are really after. 4. A hard to navigate layout: lacking an easy to grasp overview of the sections; wordy style which results in the infomation being spread out over a few pages. 5. Poor quality pull-out map - they advertise the pull-out map as an innovation. Well, most of the competitors have been offering it for a long time, and of much better quality. The LP one survived less than 4 days, eventhough I used in standard weather conditions (no rain, no snow, no wind). 6. The writing style: I found it quite amateurish: dwelling on less important personal likes and missing more balanced and well thought advice on what is really worth seeing.

Final note: obviously you will find your way with this guide. The new colourful layout is somewhat nicer than the old one. However I lost my patience looking for the information I needed and finally explored NYC with the guide I found in my friends' flat, which was the 10 top of NYC equivalent in French. It was surely the last time I bought LP guide of a city, and will think twice before buying other LP in the future.
The Lonely Planet series is usually substance without frills and this New York City guide certainly falls into that category. Lots of good fundamental information about the real estate, culture and shopping venues of the city--written with a first-time visitor in mind. All the boroughs and sections of Long Island are given some space here, although Manhattan and Brooklyn get the most attention. The guide opens with the authors' idea of the 16 iconic and must-see aspects of NY and takes off from there. The book's greatest strength is probably its general overview of the place. It includes a modest number of suggestions for lodging, food and entertainment. Lodging possibilities can and should be researched further on the Internet where the list of hotels, inns, etc. is huge and bargains do exist.

Shopping gets special attention on a neighborhood-by-neighborhood basis. Good approach, but if you're a first-time visitor to NYC using this guide, keep in mind that stores tend to come and go frequently and even annual sales events can change dates from year to year. The guide includes a "Month-by-Month" calendar of events, but this is very limited and doesn't come near to mentioning the hundreds happening hour-by-hour every day of the week. If you use this guide, you'll want to supplement with New York Magazine, The New Yorker, etc. to get a full cultural schedule.

Overall, this is a pretty good effort that probably will work best for the newcomer who can't or doesn't want to get bogged down in the overwhelmingness of the Big Apple. Priced at a moderate $19.99.
on 22 October 2012
Bought this for our frirst family trip to new york, the information it contains suits us to the ground, useful and informative to us it was well worth the purchase
on 16 February 2016
Almost completely omits the Bronx! There is a lack of "personality" to this guide- in contrast to many other Lonely Plant books. The maps are good however, and I don't really feel that it takes one to the most interesting corners of the city.
on 1 January 2014
Like all the Lonely Planet series, expect high quality informative, helpful reviews and information. Gave us the confidence to use the NY subway - which was a bit antiquated compared to the London Tube.
on 15 November 2013
Have bought this for my daughter who is going to New York in April 2014 with her best friend. She is very excited and views it as a once in a ife time thing so thought this would help her get the most out of the 5 days she will be there. I am giving it to her for Xmas but am sure she will love it.
on 16 January 2014
Whoever designed LP's new layouts should be sacked. Not the user-friendly guide book we have been accustomed too. Very messy and chaotic guide book to NY and surprisingly sparse on detail and valuable information
on 16 March 2015
this book is so helpful its ridiculous! bought march 2015 so mildly out of date, but nothing hugely noticeable- but you can use the info to look up where to go and find further information and check travel info is still correct before you travel. great ideas for what to do for the day and roughly how long it will take you; excellent for when you aren't 100% what might fit in and also gives you some of the best places to go and you can fill in around it. great book, have and will buy others.
on 18 July 2014
Very helpful book for planning my NY trip - made notes from it and then didn't take it with me due to the weight. I also bought the pocket sized version which I did take with me and was so vital to everything we did on our holiday!
on 20 November 2013
difficult to assemble a plan of action from. Lots of useful information but no way to tie together a schedule of what you might want to do once there. Maps are minute and need magnifying glass to read. Useful and up to date information. Although I lost mine upon arrival in New York much of the info was recallable. For under a £10 its well worth buying to get ready for the trip of a life time.