on 19 November 2013
Finally, I Dig the Duke, I Dig the Count, one of Mel Tormé's very, very best albums, has been remastered. I could rate the album song by song, but the whole thing is outstanding, with top-notch songs and cutting-edge arrangements by the great Johnny Mandel. To my knowledge, this is the first CD reissue of I Dig the Duke, I Dig the Count since the murky-sounding original in 1986--so old that the liner notes provide instructions on caring for CDs.

As for Mel Tormé Swings Schubert Alley, it's an equally excellent remaster of yet another outstanding Tormé collaboration with conductor/arranger Marty Paich. Some fans say this is Tormé's greatest album. I personally disagree, but I see why fans love it and I certainly admit that it's up there with his best.

If you buy this CD and you like it, then I recommend investing in a few other Tormé masterpieces from the period: Mel Tormé and the Marty Paich Dek-Tette (better known as Lulu's Back in Town) (1957), Mel Tormé Sings Fred Astaire (1957), Tormé (1958), My Kind of Music (1961), and Comin' Home Baby (1962)
on 29 April 2014
The mpeccable Mr.Torme at his hip peak sings songs made in heaven with outstanding arrangements by Johnny Mandel and Marty Paich that feature some of the finest jazzmen of the time playing at their best. You must buy this CD!
on 12 November 2012

Originally released as Verve MG V 2132
on 30 April 2015
lovely
on 30 October 2015
The Master. Superb voice with a superb arranger.