on 25 January 2012
Apart from some corrections this is almost identical to the first edition. If you have the previous edition you don't need to buy this one. If you don't, it is simply the best book in this category. Lots of examples of how to use a particular verb and even more examples for the top 50 verbs. The verbs are fully conjugated. For each verb there is also a brief list with the cases and the prepositions that combine with it. There is also a big list with verbs that are not conjugated but each of them is referenced to one of the 555 which conjugates in a similar way.
I am studying Russian at the intermediate level and I am very happy that I bought this book. I gave 4 stars because I was disappointed with the new edition.
The quality of the paper is worse and looks like a cheap book, plus they could have made some improvements. Anyway a must-buy.
on 1 December 2014
This is a good book, but is badly organised, and I have found it very difficult to locate words. Free internet resources are MUCH easier to use - I use Cooljugator (http://cooljugator.com/ru/) - it's really good; or how about 500 verbs from MasterRussian (http://masterrussian.com/vocabulary/common_verbs.htm). Both of these resources (there are others) are easier to use than the book (and they are free), and for all words, rather than just verbs, try http://www.cram.com/flashcards/5000-most-common-russian-words-0001-500-833213. Also for all words, try http://www.artint.ru/projects/frqlist/frqlist-en.php, and download 'lemma.num.zip'. Unzip it, open lemma.num using Word; select Cyrillic(Mac) encoding, and kerboom - the most-used 320000 Russian words in frequency order (there is an error - change the funny symbol into Russian 'а'). Copy the list into Excel, split it into columns, and you are done. You can copy from sites offering the same Sharoff list (exact same word order) with traslations, and then merge the whole thing into Excel - magic! - you get the words, pronunciations, translations, declension, example sentences for the top 1000 or so words
on 30 December 2012
The book is very useful, and complete, although to be honest it's really unnecessary to print out the future tense of every imperfective verb in full with all the parts of the future of быть, which is strictly identical in every case. If the book was shortened in this respect and in a few other cases of repetitiveness, the volume might be easier to carry in the bag I take to the course: it's very hefty! In just a few cases I had a problem to find a verb, e.g. some of the verbs of movement don't appear where you might expect them to.
on 25 July 2016
The Big Silver Book of Russian Verbs has a comprehensive list of verbs conjugated into all possible forms, and a good number of examples of the usage of each verb - however, I'm told by my native Russian speaking girlfriend, and several other native speakers whose opinion I've asked, that a lot of the examples sound very clumsy, unnatural and old fashioned and would be much better expressed in an alternative way.
I think it's difficult for books like this to compete with online options - but if they're to even try, they really need to do a top-notch job of it, and provide relevant, natural sounding examples. The reason I bought it was so that I would have an offline reference (I spend more than enough time at a computer screen during the day at work), but I generally end up using online options over this book as I like to see relevant examples in order to gain a good understanding of each verb's usage, which unfortunately this book fails to provide.
However, as I said it does have a comprehensive list of verbs and conjugations, so it's useful to check a conjugation that you're unsure of, if you're not online at the time.
on 6 September 2012
Does exactly what it says on the cover. Lists and lists of conjugated verbs. very usefull for my Russian homework for university. Almost every verb you can think off is in there so it is usefull from start to finish in college.
on 5 December 2014
I am only starting to learn Russian and so there may be other better qualified to review than myself however I find it clear and thorough nicely sets out the conjugation of each verb giving a page to each verb with the relevant aspects and tenses.
on 4 May 2014
Very useful for verb pairs and conjugations when like me you are not too good at the language. Shows the use of the verbs and give interesting proverbs as well.
on 21 February 2013
Of all the Russian grammar books I have, this and Terence Wade's Russian Grammar are the most useful reference books I've come across. The verbs have all their various forms along side each other- ie imperfective and perfective, and there are interesting and at times highly amusing examples of how to use each verb. A must for any serious Russian student.
on 14 May 2013
This book was e x a c t l y what I was looking for. Very helpful for everyone who studies the russian language.
Recommended. Very good product quality, also.
on 26 January 2014
A really good reference with lots of added extras such as sayings & colloquialisms to put the verbs in context. really glad I bought it.