Format: DVD|Change

on 17 May 2017
ok
on 16 January 2013
Cheerful Weather for the Wedding is based on a 1932 novella by Julia Strachey, now published by Persephone books. Coming in at only 1 hour and 30 minutes it's a short film but I enjoyed every minute of it. I really loved the book when I read it and I haven't been disappointed in the film.

On the morning of her wedding bride-to-be Dolly is hiding in her bedroom taking surreptitious sips of rum from the bottle and considering that she might be making a rather terrible mistake.

Meanwhile, downstairs her many and various relatives are arriving bringing the usual chaos, humour, and misery. The reason for Dolly's despondency, as it turns out, is her former lover Joseph who arrives on the scene irritating Dolly's mother (Elizabeth McGovern) beyond endurance and really throwing a spanner in the works.

Interspersed with the day of the wedding we see rosy glimpses of the summer before when Dolly and Joseph first met and their developing love affair.

It's all terribly English full of repressed emotions and moments of very funny comedy mostly from the friends and relatives. Special mention must go to Ellie Kendrick as Dolly's sister, Kitty, who is brilliant at being both very funny and a completely irritating younger sister and to Felicity Jones who I think we will be seeing a lot more of in the future.

It's nothing like Downton Abbey and it's not supposed to be. It's far more convincing, subtle and much funnier. Think more along the lines of E.M Forster's A Room with a View or Stella Gibbon's Cold Comfort Farm. A really delightful film for a winter's day.
on 6 October 2013
I rented "Cheerful Weather for the Wedding" as I enjoy watching Felicity Jones on screen (who is versatile, which this film proves, and is steadily becoming a great British actress, one film at a time). The whole cast is good, I especially loved the role of a sister Kitty (brilliantly played by Ellie Kendrick) who provides the audience with innocence and simplicity that expose so much about what everyone else is really thinking but just can't bring themselves to say. Yes, there is a lot of "legendary" British stiffness and eccentricity and inability to express one's feeling directly.

Don't expect a rom-com, this is a slow developing (with frequent flashback to the past) sad love story, but full of quirky characters and glorious one-liners. In my opinion, a viewer would have benefitted further if more of the background and story story was shown (after all, this is an adaptation of a good book!). And the final twist? I did not feel shocked or surprised by it, even though it came out of the blue.

"Cheerful Weather for the Wedding" is not a crowd pleaser, it's peculiar and at times slow, but I enjoyed it. Saying that, I am glad I just rented it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 March 2013
This low budget adaptation of a 1923 novel highly praised by Virginia Woolf and the Bloomsbury set fails ultimately as there are too many flashbacks to the "golden" days of a lost love and not enough plot and motivational development within the contemporary setting of the story. That said it is beautifully shot, well acted by some very talented British stalwart actors and quite moving in its portrayal of unrequited love. Don't expect "Four Weddings and a Funeral" or a fast moving rom-com - this movie certainly does not deliver on those fronts. But if you are looking for a gentle bitter-sweet tale, full of richly observed characters and subtle comic nuance, you might just enjoy this ambitious, if flawed, production. I certainly did - although it ultimately left me feeling it could - with better plot development - have been a very fine little British feature, rather than the unfinished and rather disappointing end result we have here. That said the blu ray is not bad - good detail if a little washed out - and an audio track which makes surprisingly effective use of the rear speakers in ways you would not expect considering the subject matter.
on 22 January 2013
I saw the trailer online and looked up this movie as it has a great cast and looked like a juicy period film. In fact it's quite unconventional as it has some good laughs and doesn't feel old-fashioned. The ending is going to annoy some people but I liked the way it did not give in to Hollywood stereotypes. Felicity Jones is gorgeous, and Elizabeth McGovern is surprisingly good. If you know her only from Downton then this shows she can actually act.
on 7 February 2013
Perfectly captures the period, as well as the seething undertones of a family wedding. Slow burn story with an explosive finish. Looks beautiful too. Recommended.
on 18 May 2013
I really found this film really depressing, it seemed to go on for ages and got nowhere.
I have to say the costumes, surroundings etc. where brilliant. But not the film.
Could be just me, so give it a try! Thankfully it was quite inexpensive

It arrive in good condition, earlier that said, and well packaged. Good Seller.
on 1 March 2013
The premise is good. The scenery nice. Unfortunately the film somehow was not too inspiring. Perhaps there were too many characters thrown in and not enough time for character development.
on 27 January 2014
I think this film was made with the intention of it being sophisticated, amusing and intriguing. Sadly it was none of these, it really did not work (for me). Initially I found the 'flash backs' confusing, as I think I was looking for 'more' and by the time I realised that there was very little in the way of 'plot' or 'storyline' the film was finishing. I didn't find the characters particularly convincing, which was disappointing, given the cast of well knowns. Many of the scenes, (I thought) were too drawn out and I kept on expecting something hugely traumatic or amusing to happen.............it didn't. Disappointing!
on 11 November 2013
This movie was so long-winded and there wasn't enough depth in the story line to retain our interest. We have since donated it to the local Hospice Shop. Very disappointing.