Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 23 October 2015
Having read both books they were both inspiring What a courageous and tremendous lady and determined not to give up.
on 22 August 2012
"The Bright Side ", again what an amazing book by Dr Kate Granger.This book is written straight from her mind, what she see's, what she feels. Just like Dr Grangers first book "The other side " I was drawn into her experiences and could imagine the feelings, thoughts, fears, as it is so brilliantly written. I read this book in two evenings and have to admit shed a few tears but also smiled at her determination to do things she wanted, when she wanted and how she wanted...despite many challenges and barriers along her way .
As a health care worker myself I will take things from both books and I hope it will help me become a better nurse and in fact person . I think as health care workers we all need to try be comfortable with talking about it with our patients when it is needed to enable them to make the decisions to allow them to die with dignity.I would recommend this book to all all care professional but it is also suitable for those without a medical background as Dr Granger has included a full glossary at the back of the book for the explanation of medical terms/abbreviations.
Dr Granger has written this book as a sequel to " The other side " ....and shares with us very personal experience's and thoughts to hopefully help people in the medical profession gain more of an understanding of how someone has to try to cope with having a terminal diagnosis .
Dr Granger also uses this sequel to talk about her determination to continue to work as a Registrar in Elderly medicine for as long as she physically can....enjoying doing thing's on her "bucket list" with her family and friends and trying to raise much deserved money for the Yorkshire Cancer Centre....which all proceeds of the book go to .All in all a moving,thought provoking and excellent book !
on 30 August 2012
The Bright Side

Perhaps I shouldn't have read the reviews of The Other Side before setting down my thoughts on this sequel. However although fifteen reviewers had nothing but praise for Dr Granger's moving account, four were negative. Some used the word `arrogant' where others might have used `self-confident' and one poisonous review says she has an inflated idea of her clinical skills. I like my medical advisers to be self confident and clinical skills are part of the wisdom that should grow with longevity in practice. It seems to me that Dr Granger would be about to enter the prime of her career if it were not likely to be sadly curtailed. But not yet, as in this sequel she tells us about her determination to get back to work as a registrar in the Care of the Elderly department of her hospital. She succeeds and uses her experience in making clinical decisions with her colleagues to think about the quality of life of their patients.She learns all the time about her own performance and applies the skills learnt from other doctors and health service professionals that she has found helpful in her own experience as a patient. She has learnt that the `little things' like holding a patient's hand when words are inadequate are powerful interventions. Not only has she made us think of how to break bad news to patients and their loved ones but also confronted us with our own mortality. The simplicity of her pursuit of her `bucket list' items has set me thinking of the places, people and events I need to revisit. Throughout I found it both heart-rending but also a very heart-warming account. We must not say `brave' or `inspirational' as she warns us that these words mean nothing to her and prefers the term `pragmatic stoicism!'
I put this book down with an air of sadness. Sadness that a young talented doctor is faced with her terminal illness; sadness that sometimes in my career I have not had the compassion and intelligence I see in Kate Granger; and sadness that this could be her last book.However it is a triumph of communication and a learning opportunity. All medical personnel should read this and it has a lot to say to the non-medic too. Buy it and the Yorkshire Cancer Centre benefits from the profits!
on 29 September 2013
This is the second book that Kate Granger has written and it picks up where the first left off. Kate has stopped her chemotherapy and is determined to get back to the work that she loves. She is pragmatic in that she doesn't know how long she has left but wants to make a difference. Running alongside this Kate has a 'bucket list' that she wants to complete - experiences that all mean something.

This book is more like a blog with a simple episodic structure which juxtaposes life in Pinderfields Hospital with 'self-indulgent' moments. That's what makes it so heart-warming. Kate talks about dealing with patients and dignity for old people at the end of their lives, then will have a section about bubble baths or cake-making. Just when you think this is odd you remember that Kate is one of those people for whom dying with dignity is important - the difference, she is in her early thirties.

Dr Kate Granger is a true inspiration - she has raised a vast amount of money for the Yorkshire Cancer Centre, she has had numerous awards. Yet she remains incredibly humble and cannot understand why people nominate her for rewards and awards.
on 3 April 2015
A brilliantly simple, direct and unself-pitying account of facing up to, and dealing with, the challenge of a life-limiting illness in a young adult. The patient and author is a doctor who uses medical language. This makes it particularly relevant to see from a doctor's point of view what it's like being a patient in this situation. There is a glossary for lay readers.
Alongside this unusual perspective, it also gives a brilliant understanding of the power of vocation that drives, inspires and defines a person. Many, if not most, doctors I have encountered have started like this - sadly, not all maintain this passion through their careers. It is good to have this flame of vocational zeal rekindled by being reminded of why one is in the profession!
I think it should be required reading for all doctors dealing with any patients with life-limiting illnesses.
I am a doctor, and I found this slim but powerful volume extremely thought-provoking. I read through it in a couple of sittings, learnt a lot, and have continued to reflect on its contents since.
on 30 December 2012
I first saw the author of this book on my regional news programme and was so impressed with her humility and true grit that I put her second book on my Amazon Wish List. Fortunately one of my sons saw it, bought me it for Christmas, and I have just finished it. How this young woman could cope with such a terrible illness, carry on with her work and write two books is an amazing feat in itself. She writes so well, though I was glad of the index of medical terms, and her humanity shines through. I do hope that if I or my family are in need of a similar doctor that we will get one that has read her books and will follow her example. Obviously I now need to buy the first one! Kate's husband and family must be so proud of her and I do hope that she will be able to carry on her work for as long as she wants to.
on 12 September 2013
This is very much treat the person first and disease second.It is an inspiration to read as all too often as soon as the big "C"is mentioned you stop being an individual and become
a piece of meat on the conveyor belt of treatments that satisfy the medical professionals that they have done their best ,but is it best for you the person.
Kate comes across as an exceptional human being who will leave her mark on the young medics that I hope read her book.Not to mention raising an enormous amount of money for charity.
I admire her immensely for her honesty and always looking at the nicer bits of her life as she says" always look on the bright side of life" An excellent mantra to live by!
And don't forget #hellomynameis
on 30 September 2013
I enjoyed reading both books although I found the first book one that I could more easily connect to as my wife has gone through chemotherapy for a while before deciding to live every day rather than die a bit more with each cycle!
on 4 October 2012
I am moved to write a review for the first time ever in praise of a marvellous and inspirational ongoing true story of Kate's valiant way of dealing with her terminal illness. I agree with all that is written in the previous 3 reviews above and I speak as a layman [ woman actually] who is a retired teacher.The other half of the story called 'The Other Side' is perhaps more for medically trained staff but I found it informative and compulsive reading and would also recommend that both books are bought . Whilst supporting the charity of Kate's choice you will also read a truly honest and insightful account . Do not be mislead by the 2 star review on the first book. I think that reviewer must be young and with little life experience. We will all die one day and Kate has done everything to leave a brilliant training resource intelligently written enabling her training and experience to help others in the future. I hope her observations enhance the training of NHS workers so that dying becomes something out in the open to help patients and families make informed choices and have positive memories of their loved ones even after they are gone.
on 24 January 2015
This reminds us all about how short life actually is... Let's hope that the NHS staff who read this start to deliver the same personalised care to all people regardless of their knowledge and experience and whether they are a Doctor or not.. It is a testament to Kate's determination to maintain control that she managed to navigate the system, it must have been exhausting at times. Thank you for writing this book, I hope the charity has received thousands more in the last couple of years.