Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.65

on 13 February 2012
Others will explain more about Sams story in their own review.... I just want to say that if you have a business dream, buy this book. For the price you cant go wrong, Sam himself would tell you that ha ha ....As he loves to make every penny go as far as it can.
But really i enjoyed this book very much, if you want to go out on your own and set up business, this book telling you this mans story of becoming the richest man in America is indeed very inspiring.
Well worth it.
on 17 November 2014
I was surprised how much I liked this book, and how fast I read it. It is a very fast read, written in a casual and engaging style. There are plenty of funny anecdotes from family, coworkers and competitors to shake up the balance of Sam Walton's retelling of his life. Though I felt like at times he could've gone into more detail about some of the unsuccessful ventures, we can clearly see now, 20 years after publishing, that Walmart is as strong as ever.
on 26 September 2013
Created 400,000 jobs and enabled millions of Americans to get products they want at prices they want. Guys like Sam Walton are the ones who make this world a better place to live in. This is the story of the man who created the US retail giant Wal-Mart.
on 4 May 2016
This was a better read than i had expected. It was fascinating to learn how he started out and built such a successful business. How times have changed though. The Walmarts we visit when we are in the US seem unrecognisable to those from Sams days.
on 16 July 2013
Luke Johnson, the entrepreneur behind Pizza Express and former head of Channel 4, is a compulsive reader and he warmly recommended Made in America by Sam Walton. For years I resisted the chance to read the story of the man who made Walmart and boy was I wrong.

Quite simply this is a brilliant manual on what you need to do to be a successful independent retailer. In one chapter on thinking small, Walton says: "I always wanted to be the best retailer in the world, not the biggest."

In 1960 in a newspaper article called Success Story of the Year it described how he and his family and managers had built up a nine strong chain of variety stores. He told the paper that nine was as big as it could get as it was as many as he could supervise.

Most readers don't need to worry how he moved beyond nine to become the biggest retailer in history (he did this by hiring and inspiring great people). What they need to recognise is that Walton remained a great independent retailer till the end of his life.

"If we ever forget that looking a customer in the eye and greeting him or her and asking politely if we can be of help is just as important...today...then we just ought to go into a different business because we'll never survive in this one," he says.

He provides lots of advice for success but notes that they are all just "common sense and most of them can be found in any number of books or articles on management theory - many of which I've read and studied over the years".

His 10 rules for success are prefaced with a few extra ideas such as:

· Work hard

· Build a team

· Have goals and always set them high.

My favourite rule today (tomorrow it could be different) is:

Rule 8: EXCEED your customers' expectations. If you do, they'll come back over and over. Give them what they want-and a little more. Let them know you appreciate them. Make good on all your mistakes, and don't make excuses-apologise. Stand behind everything you do. The two most important words I ever wrote were on that first Wal-Mart sign: `Satisfaction guaranteed.' They're still up there, and they have made all the difference."

I also loved his tips on not buying "other people's inefficiencies" and always remembering that "we are agents for our customers".

He started out competing with the big firms and won. He says he never put anyone out of business. His competitor's customers "were the ones who shut him down. They voted with their feet."

What to do: "Most independents are best off, I think, doing what I prided myself on doing for so many years as a storekeeper: getting out on the floor and meeting every one of the customers. Let them know how much you appreciate them, and ring that cash register yourself. That little personal touch is so important for an independent merchant because no matter how hard Wal-Mart tries to duplicate it-and we try awfully hard- we can't really do it."

The book is simply brilliant. It is a manual for success. Ignore the title. This is How to be a brilliant retailer. Breathless prose. Read it today.

Read more at [...]
on 9 August 2015
I couldn't believe his business earned more than Warren Buffet and Bill Gates combined !
Sam was at his deathbed when he wrote this book Made in America. This is one of the best, if not the best book about creating a business and management. I discovered that there are no tricks or secrets to become a billionaire and yet so few people make it. Here is an advise from Sam, the best business person in human’s history.

More reviews on my website http://adamwojnar.com

Rule 1. Commit to your business. Believe in you needs more than anybody else. I think I overcome every single one of my personal shortcomings by the sheer passion I brought to my work.
Rule 2. Share your profits with all your associates, and treat them as partners. In turn, they will treat you as a partner, and together you will all perform beyond your wildest expectations.
Rule 3. Motivate your partners. Money and ownership alone aren’t enough. Constantly, day by day, think of new and more interesting ways to motivate and challenge your partners. Keep everybody guessing as to what your next trick is going to be. Don’t become too predictable.
Rule 4. Communicate everything you possibly can see your partners. The more they know, the more they will understand. If you don’t trust your associate to know what’s going on, they’ll know you don’t really consider them partners.
Rule 5. Appreciate everything your associates do for the business. A paycheck and stock option will buy one kind of loyalty. But all of us like to be told how much somebody appreciates what we do for him or her.
Rule 6. Celebrate your successes. Find some humor in your failures. Don’t take yourself so seriously. Loosen up, and everybody around you will loosen up. Have fun. Show enthusiasm, always.
Rule 7. Listen to everyone in your company. And figure out ways to get them talking. The folks on the front lines, the ones who actually talk to the customer, are the only ones who really know what’s going on out there.
Rule 8. Exceed your customers’ expectations. If you do, they’ll come back over and over. Give them what they want, and a little more. Don’t make excuses, apologize.
It’s really an eye opener. This book is amazing. You probably haven’t heard of it because no one is really bothered to market it better. It has a crappy picture on the front page and no marketing whatsoever. Don’t worry; marketing doesn’t usually represent real value. This book is real gem.
More reviews on my website http://adamwojnar.com
review image
on 11 June 2016
This book is so fantastic. Mr Walton wrote this book on his dead-bed. I highly recommend to everyone,who would like to understand how can one man change the world. Okay, he had a team and a beautify family behind him, but he was the main figure. If you are an entrepreneur/business, who would like to understand how to start a business, who to take care of your employees I highly recommend it.
on 20 August 2014
A must read for any aspiring Entrepreneur Sam Walton lets you into his secret formula for success but the book leaves you thinking there must have been so much more to the man himself which he in his modesty he has left out.
on 30 June 2016
This book is amazing. I liked when he was saying about negotiating with suppliers, you need to push them to get the cheapest price because they are not dumb they know when they can't go lower... I loved that. And also that joke about hunting his grand children if they ever think of selling their stocks lol
on 18 October 2014
According to Sam, good old fashioned values, hard work, and simple living are all key to success. Yes he worked hard and built up a successful business but some parts of the book go into to much detail on trivia while glosses over huge leaps the Walmart org took. In addition anecdotes are added by friends/employees throughout who love the man/company. Its all very sugar coated in my opinion with too many rose tinted glass situations described for my liking.