on 18 August 2013
WOW! I love it! I heard this played on the radio and went looking for it. Just as great the second time I listened. Don't expect the same as the original at all - it's definitely re-composed. He has made some astonishing and brave changes- but they work. I found it very exciting to listen to a piece I am so familiar with but with some amazing 'twists' in melody ad rhythm. If you are open to the change, then this is a great experience. I thoroughly enjoy it! Great quality recording too.
on 1 October 2014
Wooo. So, it's strange to start with, right? Buildings get re-modelled. Films get re-made. And music gets covered, or versionalised if one can put it that way - but re-composed? Well, it's a good word. And its a novel, but very valid idea. He didn't re-write this, he re-imagined it through his own musical ears, and yes, ears don't often imagine things but here they made an exception. Thankfully, there are few better ears to re-imagine things through than those of Max Richter. Even if you don't like the recomposion of the Four Season, it's hard to fault his skill. And there are times when he leaves less, and achives more, than the original. I can guess there may be some to whom the very excercise is anathema. But Richter's piece is extraordinary in its beauty and would stand alone if it were not inextricably linked to the original. To my ears, its works well for the majority of the time and made me re-listen to the orginal and yes appreciate it no less. Not a bad outcome?
on 29 May 2014
I can see why you might meet this with some hostility.

To "re-compose" could be seen by many as tantamount to bastardisation. And yet we cannot see the old masters such as Vivialdi, Wagner or even Mozart as being beyond an injection of fresh perspective and to me that is simply all this is. A new slant, a house with a lick of fresh paint. Not rebuilding but remoulding. Like Picasso "redrafting" a Goya Painting what we get is something that many will see as unnecessary - insulting even - and yet I personally cannot argue with the delicate beauty of Spring 1with its 21st century near-syth backdrop, or the utter apocalyptic verve of Summer 3 which attacks the ears before lulling into a darkly introspective final chapter.

It prompts me to consider what else we might see "recomposed."
For me I'd love to hear Richter recomposed by Vivaldi.
One can but dream.
on 2 June 2014
Atmospheric, evocative and stunningly beautiful. I can't stop playing it. As a fan of Vivaldi I had not expected to marvel at this updating. Just try it.
on 15 May 2015
Don't expect The Four seasons as we know it here. But this wonderful version of it recomposed by Max Richter is simply breathtakingly beautiful,
and Daniel Hope plays it to perfection. Like so many others, I know this Vivaldi piece so well and have several in my collection, but I am always
keen to hear another take on a well known piece, whether it be written for a different instrument, or as in this case completely recomposed.
From the moment I first heard this CD I found, and still find it compelling listening. The accompanying notes, although not long, do give a fascinating
insight into the mind of a modern composer.
on 29 July 2013
This kicks ass. It is beefy, thudding, and tempered with a feminine grace.

Do not let the telephone waiting machines EVER get rights on this version!
on 9 February 2014
As much as we all love the Four Seasons, its standard orchestral arrangements are surely over familiar ( certainly to anyone who listens to Classic FM!) Richter pares back the music to its fundamental motifs and makes this work listenable again
I listen to a little classical music and only really stuff that is fairly popular anyway. Like many people, I have heard the original Vivaldi Four Seasons and enjoyed it. This Max Richter version though is even better. The addition of bass notes and very subtle electronic accompaniments make the sometimes jangly Vivaldi sound deeper and more beautiful. I love it!
on 8 December 2012
I own several of M.Richter's CDs (The Blue Notebook, Memoryhouse, Infra). All of them are very good, but this one is really exceptional because it is based on Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons". A very interesting interpretation of the composer's masterpiece with several new ideas and subtle use of electronica. What you finally get is the Max Richter's piece with a distant echo of Vivaldi (in some places only), a deep and lush sound of the orchestra and the result... just wonderful! Highly recommended.
on 27 December 2013
I bought this as a present for my son and very much enjoyed it much more than I had expected. It certainly needs good speakers as there are some beautiful sound qualities which poor quality speakers simply can't do credit to. I thought it was useful to be familiar with the original arrangement so could recognise the way Max Richter had moved. I loved it!