on 5 February 2014
I can see how it would be excellent if you had a week devoted to set it up (&possibly someone to show you around) but unfortunately for us who only really wanted it for the payroll software it was way too complicated. Save your money for a good accountant
on 15 March 2013
This software is so user-friendly I can do all my own payroll, VAT returns & accounts and just have my accountant do the annual ones and check the VAT returns. Saves loads in accountancy fees and the reports give you a great picture of what's going on in your business, financially.

Much cheaper than buying from Intuit direct too. They wanted well over £600 annual equivalent with their monthly plan!
on 28 October 2015
Couldn't submit end of year PAYE return to the tax office without paying to upgrade to Quickbooks 2014, swindle.
on 18 April 2013
QuickBooks is fab by comparison to sage. One of my sage colleagues even managed to produce balance sheets which didn't balance. Not possible in Q/B I believe.
on 30 July 2015
Just what I needed.
on 22 February 2013
very disappointed of this second hand quickbooks - I wish I had purchased a 2012 quickbooks which I have used before this 2013 quickbooks is going to be difficult to use for the year - considering the price not good value for money.
VINE VOICEon 15 October 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I now run several businesses in the UK. I use an accountant I have known for many years and have always been happy with their service. I have had very little need for such software, especially given the price of accounting software packages. I am not a computer whiz and sometimes find complicated Microsoft software packages difficult to use.

I reviewed Quickbooks Premier 2012 previously and my review is virtually identical to that one. I received this software free of charge via the Amazon Vine programme. In truth I would not have bought such software, given my relationship with my accountant. I therefore used this opportunity to try the software without any risk or guilt. As this is the second tine of using I am getting used to how the programme works and the ultimate ease of use.

It was simplicity itself to install. The software gives you a comprehensive and easy to use accounting package. Whilst my area of business pertains to the service sector and does require the holding of stock, the software can easily handle business situations where stock control is necessary. It can easily track sales, expenses and profits and can create professional looking invoices using PDF's for emails. It can automatically calculate VAT and creates an Efile so you can send it directly to HMRC. It works with all Office programmes so there is great compatibility, so allowing greater ease of use. It also allows you to create budgets and cash flow projections. In short this software can handle virtually anything a small to medium sized business can throw at it. It also includes payroll software free for 12 months, which allows you to calculate wages, NI, Tax for your employees.

A final note on this particular package, there is a difference between Quickbooks Pro 2013 and Premier 2013 software. The Premier software contains additional Time Saving Tools such as, the ability to create budgets and cash flow forecasts, it allows you to create back orders and so automatically set stock aside for order fulfillment, track unbilled expenses and allow you to set different prices on the same item depending upon client or job. All of these time saving options work in the same intuitive way as the rest of the package.

Whilst I am a stick in the mud and like the reassurance that my accountant brings, this software is the next best thing. It is easy to use and does virtually everything you will require. A great product at a great price, compared to other accounting software packages.
VINE VOICEon 4 October 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This package is the middle tier of the QuickBooks Small Business packages. QuickBooks Pro 2013 1 User (PC) is the base package (c.£200) containing all basic invoicing, expenditure tracking and VAT reportingelements. This package QuickBooks Pro 2013 + Payroll - 1 Year Subscription, 1 User (PC) (c.£380) has all these features plus the ability to handle your own payroll in an HMRC accredited way (something that you'd otherwise most likely have to out source to a payroll company). And finally QuickBooks Premier 2013 + Payroll - 1 Year Subscription, 1 User (PC) (c.£500) is the top end suite, including all previously mentioned features and the ability to take a more nuanced approach, creating cash flow budgets and forecasts (i.e. predicting what might happen, not simply what has).

Note however, that the Payroll features of this product are only for a 1 year subscription, so you'll want to carefully weigh the extra cost vs. getting someone do it for you.

These days the main competition to QuickBooks comes not from other software providers (though Sage's various incarnations are very competitive especially for large enterprises) but from online services such as XERO ([...]), which tend to offer some great integration with online accounts and that are very cost effective (c. £80 a year) if you can't afford the initial outlay.

Overall, this was my first time using QuickBooks. I trialled it out for a small business that I run and I have to say that while I found it something that you need to invest a lot of time in learning the ins and outs of (there are a Lot of features, you'll be discovering various reporting features for years to come), that it was generally very user-friendly and straight-forward. There are loads of great online resources for you to call upon if you get stuck. What the software really allows you to do is to look professional (the invoices look great) and be very much on-top of your cash situation such that you can save money with your accountant when you present a very clean set of books that are straight-forward to audit. For my particular uses (a small part-time business with one part-time external employee), the investment in the product is probably too much to make me change from Xero but for 4+ employees I could definitely be tempted to make the investment in changing.

All-in-all an impressive product for this first time user.
VINE VOICEon 15 October 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really like using Intuit's Payroll, it allows us to do everything in-house. We don't have to outsource it and rely on another company to pay staff on time. We can run payroll as frequently as we want to. I find it reassuring that it's HMRC Payroll Standard accredited.

Everything is FAST and EASY. You generate and "eFile" payroll files directly to HMRC -- it works like a dream. (This includes doing P45 and P46 forms + P25 and P14 forms). You calculate net to gross pay in one click. You have access to always up-to-date tax tables.

I elect to send all payslips by email (there is also an option to print them out, but I like to save paper when possible).

The best thing about QuickBooks Payroll is the flat monthly charge, and of course 12 months are included with purchase. This is a pretty sweet deal. Even after the first year, when you will have to pay a monthly charge (if you want to use the service), it is cheaper than outsourcing.

Please also lookout for my review of QuickBooks Pro 2013, which I think deserves 4 stars (out of 5) in its own right. (It is this product, minus the Payroll Services bolt-on)
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 September 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a pretty sophisticated software package and I haven't yet used every feature. However, I'll share a few thoughts.

The included year of payroll service is nice and makes it good value.
Being able to automatically generate and file payroll forms with the government is very nice, as are the automatically-updated tax tables.

I primarily got this because I'm going to be doing an accounts and bookkepping course and got this through Vine(along with a different edition of QuickBooks) in order to compare functionality and see what I would buy, once I reach a certain level of expertise.

Though I realise that this isn't the most helpful review I've ever written(by a long way) I did find the software well designed, responsive and capable of doing everything listed on the box.
Again, though I've not used every feature and am not an expert, I would recommend this to those that want automated payroll as well as other accounting functionality in one piece of software. It seems pretty good value.