Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Quickbooks SimpleStart 2013 is easy to set up, and if you have never used computer accounts before, will guide you through the basics. You set up your "company file", and can then record expenses under various headings, create customer invoices, and produce some useful reports. For a self-employed person, this will do the trick, and you can also do your family accounts, track your expenditures, and reconcile your bank statements.

But I already had some computer accounting -- I've been doing it for years -- and ran up against a problem. You probably cannot import existing transactions into Quickbooks SimpleStart 2013. It is meant for people who want to make a new start. Oh well, back to my faithful old Quicken 2000, which does much the same job.

The publishers, Intuit, say "There is no way to import or export from SimpleStart, as it was designed to give new users an accounting solution that is simple and easy to use."
11 Comment| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2013
I'm a long term Sage user but had to get something different do to conflicts on my PC, anyhow Quick Books isn't Sage but it does a fair job, Sage is easier to use (for me after 15 years of experience) but I quickly got into using Quick Books, ok if you want an simple invoicing and cash management system.
VINE VOICEon 27 December 2012
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Takes under five (5) minutes to set up, and is fully guided. It does a few of what it's older siblings (Pro and Premier versions). This simplifies accounting even further as it cuts down on features to the core or those most necessary, which are further simplified. Most features are in plain English, making accounting even simpler. You can easily manage sales and expenses as well as the profit (or loss) you are making. You can do quotations as well as invoices, as well as a few reports, such as balance sheets, tax reports and sales reports.

simplicity comes with trade-offs, which depending on your needs may or may not be a problem. With this version, you cannot import data from Microsoft Office tools such as Excel, Word and Outlook. You also will be at loss, if you wanted to manage Clients, your Employers and Suppliers as well as more advanced Quickbook features.

Bottomline, if you need the only the core features minus the bells and whistles, this can and in turn you get a much easier to use program and pay a fraction of what you would pay for it's older siblings.
on 21 January 2014
Very disappointed that this does not work with Outlook 2013 / Office 2013 and therefore you can't e-mail invoices. Called support and they said they will not be releasing Quickbooks Simple Start 2014 so no upgrade in sight. I'm glad i found this out before setting up customer accounts, I am requesting my refund today.
on 14 April 2013
Like one of the other reviewers of this software I was really excited about this having just started up as self employed where money is tight. But the biggest of my many complaints about this piece of software is that you have to upgrade to the PRO version to be able to do the simple task of importing TRANACTIONS from your bank into the software. This is in my humble opinion one of the most basic actions anyone using Accounting software requires. Also you can not import excel from what ever system you are using before. This means that all actions require manual input, which takes time, which is what software like this is supposed to save.

Again this is my own opinion DO NOT BUY THIS. I WILL NOT BE RECCOMENDING it to anyone.
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First thing first, it probably doesn't need me to point it out, but useful to say just in case this is your first accounting package AND you are also new to using PCs: start with this QuickBooks package rather than the pro version. Also, if you just want a personal or household budgeting aid on your computer, the is one of the best packages out there.

I have been using quickbooks for years and always upgrade to new versions. It has been invaluable in helping me see how much money I have coming in and out (as long as you are diligent in recording your regular deposits, salary, withdrawals, all your direct debits, standing orders etc) well into the future. It helps you keep a real understanding of your current and future financial health, with added tools such as loan calculators, savings goals tools, forecasting tools etc
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I run a small business from home and have tried a few Accounting packages but never adopted any of them, Jayne my wife still does the accounts manually with paper etc. Thought it was about time I explored accounting software again, our accountant suggested we look at QuickBooks

Our accounts are still produced on Paper and also our VAT return is produced manually, so wanted something that gave us a good easy to use package.

Installing the Quickbooks was easy, has a nice easy guide for setting up, Installing company details was simple which I liked a lot. You can add in your own logos to invoices and files etc

Having spent a long time inputting I realized that a brilliant package it was it did lack a little of what we needed, we are VAT registered and it didn't offer much. We decided to upgrade to the QuickBooks Premier 2013 1 User (PC) package which does everything and more there is also the QuickBooks Pro 2013 1 User (PC) which is less costly.

The simplestart is ideal If you have a business where you need to send and produce invoices regularly and you are under the Vat thresh hold, I would opt for the Pro or premier otherwise.
on 29 October 2012
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very intuitive and customisable entry-level accounting package; it's easy to install and you can pick up the ropes and find your way around it very quickly. It's primarily aimed at start ups and small businesses but it can actually be very effectively used to organise your own personal finances.

I like the way you can email as PDF's your quotes and invoices and managing cashflow is straightforward but adaptable and as 'complex' as you want it to be at this level.

It's actually pretty difficult to fault this package, and I'm a confirmed Sage user. If you need simple, straightforward small business software this is clearly one of the best ones available.
VINE VOICEon 7 July 2016
Not much changed from the previous version. Good in that case, but not really worth shelling out for.
on 31 December 2013
Be careful when you buy this product because I have just learnt from Intuit's support team that on this version you cannot download your bank statements - which in fact for a small business is one of the most time saving facilities one can be using. To do that one needs to upgrade to the pro version of the product which is about £200 more and even then you can only download bank details from Barclays. I was told that I need to contact my bank and ask them whether they would be able to provide me with bank data in the right format. So not for me since all my transactions are done via a bank.