Customer reviews

Sing the Delta
Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 4 May 2013
I loved this album but with reservations over the sound production.
I would love to know why the producer made Iris's vocals slightly indistinct on this album. In previous output her unique voice had depth while this lacks it, lurching towards a tinney, thin singing voice.
Once again her lyrics are top notch and engaging. it is so clear and so evident about her background that gives emphasis to her songs.
There is one great track which I believe I should leave to the listener to make they're opinion about but even Van the man would be hard put to match the blues tone and skill of the singer and the musicians.
If the flawed singing production values had been as before, why tamper with something so unique. I ould have scored it 5 stars.
Be patient with this one, give it at least four- five complete plays and grow to love it as I did
on 15 April 2013
I only came across Iris and this album a few months ago and bought it solely based on listening to the samples allowed on the Amazon website. Since it arrived I find it difficult to allow any other CD time in my life as well I could be listening to Iris instead! Every track is outstanding. She has an amazing voice which oozes sincerity I fail to see how anyone couldn't love this music. If you want a little more light in your life I recommend Sing the Delta
on 20 February 2013
When I found out Iris had released a new album I was excited, nervous, glad, cautious...and I had to buy it straightaway. This lady evokes a whirlwind of emotions through her music - whatever the song, she is uncompromising and direct, and often writes about "awkward" subjects, which most artists would shy away from.
Quite often, her songs are tinged with sadness or longing, and she is one of the few artists whose music has moved me to tears.
This new album is a gem : 12 superb self-penned songs with beautiful melodies, subtle under-stated arrangements (a sign of true musicianship),and that voice...Iris' voice is as good as ever - haunting, sincere, and flowing from the depths of her soul.
It is pointless to name certain songs because there are no weak ones on this album ; also different people will have different favourites.
Iris' notes in the booklet are wonderful, and the inclusion of the (brilliant) lyrics is an essential part of any Iris DeMent album.
All I can really add is, 'Sing The Delta' is well worth the wait - if you are not touched by this music, then you have no soul ! I can't stop playing this album.
Thoroughly recommended - long may Iris keep writing and recording such quality music.
on 1 February 2014
As I already have her ' Infamous Angel ' C D which I love to bits , I thought I give this one a go as she has moved on in years and it might be interesting . When I first played it I thought what have I bought , but after a few plays it really grows on you and gets to you , it is so different from 'Infamous Angel ' in music style , more mature and grown up laid back country music which I find myself enjoying more .I think it's superb ,give it a go ,every track has something to commend it , and mine came in nice cardboard picture type package which was nice . As I write this I'm playing it ,and yes it is good . Buy it , you won't be sorry .
on 22 January 2013
Sing the Delta is Iris Dement at her best. The wait for a new CD is worth it when you put it on and loose yourself in the tracks. I was lucky to see her in Bristol UK a few years ago, just wonderful. Highly recommended. Wonderful , beautifully song such a talented song writer. Sandra Duck Bristol UK
on 2 September 2017
Nobody sings country better
on 5 December 2012
This is my CD of the year. After a long absence, Iris has returned with the most wonderful, thoughtful, occasionally agonising, but beautiful album. Other singer-songwriters would die for a smidgen of her talent. Don't ,save the best till last: play it straight away and wallow in what you've been missing until now.
on 28 November 2012
Upfront I have to admit I am a bigtime Iris DeMent fan. Even singing in the bath, I am sure she is the best!

There has been a long gap since her last CD and a few years since I have seen her perform live, from this music, it seems a lot has happened in her life. It feels like she is grieving for her parents, especially her mother. It is full of love and regret. It is also very, very sad in places - a difficult journey I am guessing. But Iris still soars.
on 10 December 2013
The long awaited album from Iris De Ment well worth the wait ! Lovely story telling in her music with a voice that brings flavour and understanding .
on 10 November 2012
What a beautiful album this is.

Iris Dement has a precious gift of poetic lyrics delivered with heartfelt emotion.

This is an album of reflection and love for those things that are unwritten......piano and gentle instrumentation make this an easy choice for late night listening......refreshing and sweet.

Thanks Iris!!