on 31 January 2013
Thought I'd wait a couple months after buying it to decide to write a review, so I could get a good feel for how it is.

I had previously owned a Hauppauge, and was extremely happy with that product. The reason I got rid of it was because I was moving and getting married, and I wasn't sure how much time I would have to record gameplay.

After things settled down, I felt the itch to get back into making videos, and needing something to get started. After reading some iffy reviews, I decided to take a chance when it went on sale for a nice price (£40 - £50 less than its competition).

The setup is very straight forward. I have both an Xbox and a PS3, and I am able to have both plugged in (PS3 with component, Xbox with HDMI)

The capture software is easy to use. I've had a couple of captures fail on me, but it isn't very often. I had an issue where the preview screen wasn't displaying properly. That was fixed by resetting my video card setting to default, and everything has run smooth since that.

While the editing software that comes with it isn't the best out there, it does the job and will give you a chance to post good quality videos without breaking your wallet.

All in all, very happy with this purchase. The only one I'm even tempted to switch to is the Elgato, but that is only so that if I'm not recording something, I can go back and capture it. That's more of a software thing rather than a capture card thing though.
on 6 February 2014
My son had the non HD version which he was happy with but having got the Wii U he wanted the HD version. First one I received didn't pass video to PC and gave me an electric shock. Amazon very promptly delivered a replacement. However, while this one did capture video it lost synchronisation between the video and audio. I have to say Amazon were fantastic in the return process and readily refunded me. I've now ordered the Elgato - hope that works better. So poor product from Roxio but excellent customer service from Amazon
on 30 January 2013
I personally love the Roxio GameCap HD PRO, It is really easy to use and set up. When you plug your roxio in for the first time and insert the CD provided the sofware is so easy to download. If it comes up with an error while trying to launch edit and share,all you have to do to fix it is download a newer version of direct x. it is really simple to set up to a Twitch.tv acount aswell as all you need to so is put in your log in details. The Reason i gave this product a 4/5* review was because i was un aware that you have to buy the HDMI cables for it if you want to use HD, if you want to use SD you have to buy cables aswell. But overall i love this product and all the great features it comes with such as all the customization in the edit section.
on 29 December 2012
The image quality and sound quality are perfect. Setup with my Xbox 360 was very easy and I got it to working immediately but I have not got it to work with my PS3. It works fine with the HDMI cable but since the PS3 is not supported due to its HDMI enconding being protected, I had to use a component cable. Because of this I only got a blue image on my TV and PC with my PS3. The Xbox 360 on the other hand works perfect. The image is clear and video lag to the PC is very small.
You have to get this cables yourself as they are not included.
The software included is not very stable however, with constant slowdowns and crashes. The streaming options are also very confusing and I could not stream to Twitch TV properly as the lag is enormous.
Overall I'm happy that I can capture games on my 360 and upload them to Youtube with great quality but I would prefer to stream them. I would also like to get the PS3 capture to work but it is much more complicated.
As for the software I'm happy to know that Xsplit is creating drivers with Roxio in order for users to use this with Xsplit which is more stable and allows you to input your voice commentary into the videos on the go instead of post capture or only for livestreaming as Roxio's software does.
44 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2013
Ok, I bought this for my teenage son as it was on offer and so much cheaper than the alternatives. I read reviews of this and it's two nearest competitors and was really torn. In the end it was the price that decided it for me. I knew from the start that for a PS3 you couldn't use HD leads so was prepared to get the component lead to connect the PS3 to the Roxio. However, the instructions said that you could connect the Roxio to the TV with a HD lead and I tried with two different TVs and two different leads and it didn't work so I had to buy ANOTHER component cable to connect the Roxio to the TV. Then it worked, straight away. I think my son is pleased with it. He has moaned about it making the computer crash sometimes, especially if more than one program is open, though I am 99% certain that the computer meets the requirements to run the program.

So, yes, it works but it was a lot of hassle. Maybe better for Xbox 360. Perhaps PS3 users should consider alternatives?
on 5 December 2012
Roxio Game Capture HD Pro Review

I have used this Roxio Product for little over a week now, and have been pleasantly surprised by how well it performs in comparison to other capture solutions I have used, namely the Hauppage HD-PVR and the earlier Roxio offering, the Roxio Gamecap.

Inside the box, you'll find the HD pro Card, a Disc with bundled Roxio Videowave Software and Drivers, and a USB Printer cable, for connecting to your laptop or PC. (You will also need a component cable if using the PS3, as HDMI is unsupported by the HD Pro, though for Xbox 360, you can use either)

Taking the capture card from the simple packaging, I immediately noticed how light and compact it is, almost the same as the previous card at 159g.

Installing the bundled software and registering the Capture Card took about 25 minutes, as Windows was required to uninstall the previous Roxio Components and Software before proceeding with the new software installation. Once installed, and with the cap card attached to our system, we were ready to get on with checking this cards performance.

It's small form factor is perfect for my own setup, where space is at a premium, my experiences with the HD PVR from Hauppage was anything but as simple as this, with me having to worry about superfluous heat from the PVR and the extra power connector and plug socket was a real pain.. so in that respect the Roxio HD Pro is already miles out in front!

Down to the nitty gritty then, The card generates a small amount of warmth while recording, which is expected, but it otherwise works away happily with no problem. The capture software allows you to adjust the quality of your recording using a simple slider, there is also a drop down menu for the input method (HDMI or Component) alongside other options such as brightness, contrast and the location where you can find your recorded videos. The options selection also lets you set or change hotkeys used for recording.. a handy feature if you don't want to have your capture screen up all the time while recording. (or if like me you use a single screen with multiple outputs)

The uppermost quality of the recordings you get (aside from the slider) is dependent on three factors,

1) the original input resolution, 480p, 720p and 1080i or 1080p,

2) Your PC or laptops processing ability (CPU)

3) and the amount of HDD space available on your hard disk, as the higher quality = more space needed

I'm using an Overclocked i5 Sandybridge CPU @ 3.5 ghz with 8gb of DDR3 memory running at 1600mhz, so I set the slider to maximum quality and left all other settings untouched..

The quality obtained was impressive, and definitely comparable to that of the HD PVR, with all recordings set to output to a M2TS format video file (Same as Arcsoft Showbiz for the HD PVR) which can be converted to AVI, MP4 or WMV by Videowave, though this does impact on the quality of the conversion.. other programs can be found for converting M2TS files for use with other video editing software such as Sony Vegas Pro or After Effects.

Editing using Roxio Videowave

After loading the captured M2TS file onto Roxio Videowave I was greeted by the familiar GUI style of the previous incarnation, glad to see they didn't change too much! The software even remembers your pre set and saved Text styles and configurations from the previous Videowave installation, which is most impressive! New features include a speed changer, somewhat similar to Twixtor, which can slow down a section of video to suit your needs! A nice touch.

The software is simple to use as ever, and offers a variety of transitions, text styles and colour correction options for use with your edits, as well as the option for adding voiceover tracks or music to your videos. Although some will find it lacks the finesse and attention to detail that Sony Vegas 11 has, I would still vaunt this software for what it is... Dependable, easy to use and far less expensive than Vegas is at over £300 per license!!

Conclusion

All in all, I'd say the ROXIO HD PRO has all the features to be a truly great capture solution for gamers, offering:

Brilliant HD videos, via Component or HDMI
Simple and Quick Editing Software,
Online Streaming Capabilities
Small Form Factor
USB 2.0 Power & Data (no external power needed)

Currently available for £94.99 from Amazon.co.uk, compared to £124.89 for the Hauppage HD PVR 2, £124.72 for the Elgato Game Capture HD, and £134.64 for the AverMedia Game Capture HD.

Thanks to Daniel at Corel for the opportunity to review this fine card.

Test video can be found on Youtube Channel Uberzeal - look for MP7 feeding time and you've been grizzed #23
55 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 August 2014
My son bought 1 Roxio game capture early 2014, stopped working after a few months, tried reinstalling all software but to no avail - burnt out, so he opted to buy in May 2014 this model, burnt out and stopped working by August 2014! 2 months and it burnt out.
I must admit my son does use it a lot, but for it to fail after only 2 months is not very good, he's now looking at roxio's competitors products as a more reliable way to capture his games footage and upload to youtube
As a parent who's bought and helped a child make a purchase based on price, quality and reputation I'm afraid that this product has failed us - It's left me angry at how quickly the product has failed and it's left my son upset because he thought he was buying a quality and reliable product
on 28 July 2015
Not impressed with this capture card, if its issues with the software crashing, video recording stopping on its own then its the capture card not finding the console and when it does the sound is really low when your TV/monitor is loud.
All the reviews online said this is the best on the market for the money with all the features but its a buggy piece of rubbish.
on 27 March 2013
buy at your own risk, i purchased this product and it worked perfectly well for about a month, until one day where it would not receive a signal, i followed the online instructions and now it wont even open without thrashing my system, at the time of writing this review i have been on hold with Roxio for nearly an hour, and don't expect to much help unless you pay them $25 to get them to help you
on 17 November 2012
The quality on this device is outstanding and I would very much recommend it. The sound quality isn't the best but for non experienced people they won't really see a difference with it, easy to set up and the only problem I really had with it was the fact that when you buy it you also have to get two HDMI wires separately.