on 1 December 2015
Unbelievably awful. The included software crashed constantly even after upgrading and a clean reinstall, and when it did work it was in fits and starts with seemingly random errors and the image quality was poor. The official support forums advice for all problems is "Reinstall the software" or "You must be doing something wrong, because our product's wonderful", and I regret ever thinking it might be a reasonable quality/cost compromise to the Elgato HD.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I tested it on my Wii console and my pal's xbox 360. Easy enough set up and installation. If you wang to stream, the unit's software links directly into Twitch.tv’s service; log in to Twitch via Roxio’s software and that's it, all done.. Be aware that if you plan to output at the max of 720p, you need fast broadband. I'm on superfast fibre optic and generally it.s been good. But for most people I think it will serve as a capture device which the HD Pro does well. You can edit video bitrate and resolution, as well as choose from a decent variety of file formats (.avi, .mp4, and .wmv, at different resolutions) for export. You can also edit with a range of options: eg. you can also insert photos, background audio, text and video effects, overlays, etc.
on 6 August 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A powerful little device that does what it is supposed to do (capture video from games machines) really effectively. The PC software is a bit clumsy and feels a little outdated, but it works. HDMI cables are not included with the package so if you want HD you'll have to pick up a cable (eg the Amazon Basics HDMI does the job).

Good fun.
on 6 February 2014
My son had the non HD version which he was happy with but having got the Wii U he wanted the HD version. First one I received didn't pass video to PC and gave me an electric shock. Amazon very promptly delivered a replacement. However, while this one did capture video it lost synchronisation between the video and audio. I have to say Amazon were fantastic in the return process and readily refunded me. I've now ordered the Elgato - hope that works better. So poor product from Roxio but excellent customer service from Amazon
VINE VOICEon 24 July 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the perfect item if you want to stream, record or edit your console (be it PS3, Wii or Xbox) game play footage.

It arrives in a compact package, is fiendishly easy to set up as long as you read the instructions, and works well. The supplied software, which allows you to edit any game play you record, is also easy to use although a little baffling at first. Nothing that trial and error doesn't sort out rather quickly though. This software also lets you record commentary or music over your footage if you so wish.

To connect the card you take the HDMI cable (not supplied annoyingly!) from the console, or in the case of the PS3 the component cable as the PS3's HDMI output is encrypted, and plug it in to the unit, then plug the unit into your computer or laptop via the supplied USB cable. There is also an HDMI/component connection to your TV or monitor, as usual, so you can actually play the game!

That allows you to stream or record your game play footage in 1080p/i, 720p, 576p/i and 480p/i. File size wise I found a 10 minute video at top 1080 resolution took up about 1GB of space.

One thing to note; the capture function does not record any in game chat, so beware if you intend to use it for that purpose. Using Live Stream or editing the video allows you to record audio from a mic attached to your computer only - not the console.

All in all this is a good plug and play system that works exactly as it should and offers a high quality of recorded game play that you can edit and upload to heart's content.
on 8 July 2014
Ok so i bought this a year if not longer ago thinking it was cheap, recorded HD game capture and was an easy option for me. I stopped using it for a period of about 6 months and recently started recording for my youtube channel.
After about 2 months of use on a varying basis weekly, the product in question stopped working, this happened once before. But i reinstalled the software (which contains the device driver- it will not work without the software- which is absolutely awful for both recording, editing, and general support for the consumer) Except i have spent the better part of 5 hours frantically uninstalling the software, reinstalling the software etc to no avail. This was seemingly after i had a video card update, so i rolled that back too, still nothing.
Now i have a device i have probably recorded about 20 hours if not less footage on, which is now completely useless to me.
Not only that if the product is bought new, you are given a warranty of 28 days, which is absolutely pointless. And if you contact Corel support they will want a fee of $19 to even listen to your problem. You may as well wipe your ass with the warranty because its worthless.
The device is showing as a transcoder in the device manager, and it will not work at all no matter what forum i follow as Corel website offer nothing for free in terms of help.i would say i have fresh installed the software to try and make the driver work 25 times in the past 2 days.

GREAT PRODUCT COREL/ROXIO, I WILL NOT BIN IT-I WILL BURN THIS PIECE OF S***

****SERIOUSLY IF YOURE THINKING ABOUT BUYING THIS, SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR AN ELGATO OR HAUPPAUGE****
on 31 January 2013
Thought I'd wait a couple months after buying it to decide to write a review, so I could get a good feel for how it is.

I had previously owned a Hauppauge, and was extremely happy with that product. The reason I got rid of it was because I was moving and getting married, and I wasn't sure how much time I would have to record gameplay.

After things settled down, I felt the itch to get back into making videos, and needing something to get started. After reading some iffy reviews, I decided to take a chance when it went on sale for a nice price (£40 - £50 less than its competition).

The setup is very straight forward. I have both an Xbox and a PS3, and I am able to have both plugged in (PS3 with component, Xbox with HDMI)

The capture software is easy to use. I've had a couple of captures fail on me, but it isn't very often. I had an issue where the preview screen wasn't displaying properly. That was fixed by resetting my video card setting to default, and everything has run smooth since that.

While the editing software that comes with it isn't the best out there, it does the job and will give you a chance to post good quality videos without breaking your wallet.

All in all, very happy with this purchase. The only one I'm even tempted to switch to is the Elgato, but that is only so that if I'm not recording something, I can go back and capture it. That's more of a software thing rather than a capture card thing though.
VINE VOICEon 22 July 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What a great bit of kit. Easy to use and set up. I found the software to be very intuitive and flowed quite well. Editing the game footage was a breeze. I haven't ventured into adding my own narration yet but I will soon. If you're looking for something to record your game play this certainly does the job. I haven't had experience with other devices so I can't compare them with each other, but purely on my experience with this I found it to be a good product.
on 4 June 2015
I bought this and it did not work the quality was horrific, don't be like me and make the bigest mistake of your life by buying it, spend a few more pounds on an elgato which will actually WORK.
on 18 January 2013
This product will not work using HDMI passthrough. This is an issue with Sony and copy protection (HDCP) and not Roxio. It is referenced on Roxio's support page and also on the setup poster supplied with the product.

Here:

[...]

It WILL work if users connect with component cable.

Hope this helps