Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Morrissey Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

WD - 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green
Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:£75.08+ £4.50 shipping

on 27 October 2017
I was a fan of Western Digital hard drives, but I have now gone right off them. It seems that if there is an electronic fault on the tiny Printed Circuit Board, even though it is very easy to remove and would be easy to replace it. YOU CAN'T. For the little sods have put a chip on the device which is unique to your drive. So if you fit the same board to the drive it just will not work. You can get a replacement board, from places outside the UK however they will need to take the chip out of your old one, or you will have to do it, very tricky as they are surface mounted devices, to get the thing to work. All of which requires additional postage. Western Digital do not provide the boards and won't fix the thing unless it is under warranty. They suggest going for data recovery of the disk, which will cost about £99 at least to do. All for the sake of a board they could sell for £20! Wonder who came up with the bright idea of making each hard drive unreplaceable so you can loose valuable data all for the sake of a blown part such as a fuse on the hard drive? Probably somebody who now works for a data recovery firm!
Moral of the story is do not buy Western Digital Hard Drives unless you couldn't care less on what you put on them.
on 15 May 2016
Love this drive so far! Initial filesystem formatting took a while, but not had any problems with it since.

My total system (2x Quad-Core Xeon, 18GB RAM, 120GB SSD and 2TB WD Green drive) idles at about 60W draw, so I believe the drive is living up to it's "green" name. Also cannot say that I've actually heard the drive audibly spin yet, although my server system's fans are always on and might mask this, it definitely isn't reminiscent of some of the 7200 rpm drives I had in the past.

Benchmarks:

-WRITE
262144+0 records in
262144+0 records out
2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 4.8667 s, 441 MB/s

Only time will tell about the longevity of this product, but I am hopeful.
on 2 September 2013
To be fair, for the price I can't really say anything bad about this drive. It's fast enough for games, works great as a secondary drive when paired up with a SSD for the O/S.

The deal breaker is always noise as well, I don't hear this thing whirr or clunk at all, it's silent!

Just try not to use this as a Primary Drive, use this as a secondary.
on 7 October 2015
The WD Green range of hard drives are suited to situations where lower-powered, quieter drives are needed. WD also claim this drive will also operate cooler than non-Green drives resulting in a longer lifespan for both the drive and the PC / Server / NAS in which they are installed as case cooling systems will not need to work so hard.

From experience I have two of these installed in a HP Microserver and have been running for around 6 months without an issue, even surviving some unexpected power outages. Even with the server running multiple tasks, these two drive remain fairly quiet up close.
Aside from these I also have a pair of older 500Gb WD Greens in an old Linkstation NAS that have been running for over 3 years (25,000+ hrs) with no issue or sign of failure which only go to reinforce my trust in the WD Green brand.
on 6 December 2014
I'm writing this review about two hours after getting this delivered late (again) through Prime, so the five stars based on first impressions. Price wise you can get a Seagate external drive (linked below) for a fiver less and it comes in an enclosure of its own. Seagate STBV2000200 Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 desktop 3.5 inch external hard drive - Black However, if you're putting a drive in a system, or if you want to be sure that the drive inside is quality and quiet then i'd say a WD Green is solid.

All my life working with computers, if I ever needed OEM drives I would be a Seagate man until this WD drive. Now being used to clicky heads and spin up noises comparable to light aircraft on taxi, I was surprised when this Green made no noise. In my cheap CiT enclosure I got from Amazon, I can't tell its on except for the flashing activity light and the slight vibration if I pick up the enclosure.

Over USB 3.0 the speed is very good, and overall i'm very impressed. Great replacement for a Seagate Barracuda and Hitachi Deskstar i've used previously. I'll keep this up to date if anything goes hinky, but if you're on the verge of pulling the trigger....do it.
on 7 August 2017
Bought this 12th August 2015, reviewing it 07th August 2017, This HDD is great for long term storage which is what it's made for with it's great power saving functions, recommended buy for anyone wanting a very generic hard drive for storage, but if you want to install windows on anything, get a WD blue instead, this Green drive is made for very low power usage long term "not accessed all the time storage" think family photos or videos from holidays past.
on 23 November 2015
I got my self this hard drive because I was running low on space and I expected to use this drive to only store pictures, music, films and documents on and also as a backup in case something goes wrong on my pc because the lower RPM means less data can be read/written in a set amount of time. I was very pleasantly surprised once I started using it.

I currently use the drive for everything, including games because it is fast enough that I don't really notice the differences in loading times between this and my WD Black HDD. I've been using this hard drive for almost 6 months and haven't had a single problem with it so far, no surprise as it's a Western Digital product. Below you can see the speeds I get from it from the attached image. The packaging of the item was impressive, minimal boxes and rubbish to dig through to get to the drive, lots of support for the drive so even if the box was dropped, it would not even get scratched, the drive it self is packaged snugly in an anti-static bag and took me only a few minutes to install after getting the delivery.

Pros:
+Tonnes of space with an affordable price tag
+Surprisingly good speeds
+Reliability excellent so far, haven't had a single problem
+Good packaging
+Easy to install

Cons:
-Honestly can't think of anything at the moment.
review image
on 26 December 2015
Virtually DOA. It appeared in the BIOS as a SATA drive but with 0.0GB space. Windows or Linux didn't really recognise the drive. Even using a caddy and using a Win8.1 machine drive could not be initialised by windows (just hung). Lastly tried WD-Diag to see if SMART would show something! No, the only info available was "health status" and this read WARNING.

I have to say that the shipping packaging was the worst I've ever seen for a 3.5" HDD. Had minimal bubble wrap on outside of HDD then put straight into a standard Amazon cardboard mailer. Any side drops or knocks would have probably killed this drive. PLEASE sort out the packaging!!
on 30 October 2014
This arrived today, and is now installed and working as a data drive in the computer on which I am writing this review. It is very quiet, doesn't seem to get hot, and is faster than the main drive, so that's all good. Time will tell.

You should be aware that there is NOTHING in the box except the drive and packaging materials. No SATA data cable is provided, so if you haven't got one, check inside your computer's case for what length you need and order one. Most irritating of all, no fixing screws are provided. For me, the longest part of installing this drive was going through my stock of hundreds of ex-computer salvaged screws until I found four to fit. They don't even tell you what size you need, so I can't tell you here. You can probably find the information somewhere on the net, but honestly... how much would four tiny screws cost them? How much goodwill would they gain?
on 21 December 2015
This hard drive works fine, is fairly fast and provides a huge storage reservoir for my files. I used it to free up my previous, smaller storage hard drive for use as a back up drive. I have had no issues with the drive. The actual capacity of the disk shown on my system is 1.81 TB, slight over 2 trillion bytes. Due to the lack of the extra 200 GB I have knocked a star off. Unfortunately, most drives are now being sold like this. I will update this if any faults do develop as it was only recently installed. The packaging was not good and the dive could easily have been damaged in transit.